Emergency Notifications

DarlaHS

I have bilateral cochlear implants.  Before going to bed each night I remove my processors as instructed by my audiologist.  So, long story short, I am completely deaf from 9pm to 8am.

My question is this - is there anything on the market, besides a dog, that can be purchased to alert me in the case of emergency.  My biggest fear is that someone will break into my house and I will not know anything.  Or maybe there is an emergency of any type and I will not be aware, like weather, family, etc.

Thank you for your help. I’m apparently researching incorrectly as I have yet to find anything to assist me.

• Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

There are a lot of options for alerting devices.  Check out Diglo.com

I have a smoke detector that would send the alert to a receiver on my nightstand which is attached to a vibrator under the mattress.

I also have a Fitbit inspire which is synced to my cellphone and I can choose which alerts I wish to have sent to the Fitbit which vibrates on my wrist.

• Thanks 1

@DarlaHS I use my Apple Watch to wake me up for any of its alerts (alarm, phone, text, ect) by vibrating the same way as Mary Beth does with her FitBit. Just about any "smart" device can be set to send an alert to your phone.

I retired my bed shaker in favor of the watch now I can nap anywhere I want :)

I looked up Apple Watches, great idea.  Can you tell me which type is the best or what I should be looking for to make choice. There are just so many to choose from. Thanks

• Members

@DarlaHS I've been using a Fitbit Versa.  Looks more like an Apple Watch than Mary Beth's Inspire  but with much less of the features than the Apple Watch. A nice benefit is that I get 4 days or so of battery life on the Versa. I think the vibration alarm is a little stronger than my older, smaller Fitbits. 

If I were an iPhone user though, I would go for the Apple Watch. As to which one, all of them are probably pretty similar in regards to this use.  Might be easiest to just visit an Apple Store and try them out.  

@DarlaHS mine is an Apple SE. I wear it overnight and when I get up in the morning I let it charge while I'm showering / getting ready, every 5th day or so I let it fully recharge. If I didn't charge it every morning I'd need to charge it every 3 days. I selected my watch based on watch size. I selected an Apple Watch because I use an iPhone and I wanted the two to naturally talk to each other.  

Just echoing everyone else, I had a Fitbit Versa for the past few years and it served me well. I used Fitbit for alarms and such since ~2016. I’d chosen Fitbit for its battery length and never had to worry about that. 

Each time the devices were due for replacement I’d check out Apple Watches but never went for them til last winter. I made the switch to Apple and have been happy. Battery lasts all day and night and I just charge it in the morning.

For alarms, I just have a vibrating one under my pillow and my Apple Watch. I have Ring security cameras and doorbell so I get alerts with snapshots to my watch and phone. I can also choose/modify what other alerts I get too, so it’s sufficient and flexible enough for me. As mentioned above though, there are many tech solutions out there. Hardest thing is picking which one to go with that best fits your individual needs. :)  

I have a Hubitat hub running various devices around the house. In case of an alarm, fire/carbon monoxide/water leak etc… the hub will turn on all the lights in the house and start blasting music at high volume as well as sending an alert to my Apple watch. (I still have about 5% hearing in my un-implanted ear).