Activation done - day 1.

dnagy

I was just activated yesterday and I just want to say, I'm happy I chose Med-el.

Yesterday - 3 weeks after my surgery I was activated with a Sonnet 2 external processor. I was prepared for a very strange experience, and to some extent it was strange but not unpleasant. 

I didn't have a rockstar activation, but an almost rockstar activation. By the end of the day I was watching youtube videos and I started to understand more and more words. 

Now I'm listening to a church service and I understand 80-90% of the words without lipreading. Voices sound quite natural, especially people whose voices I remember. 

Honestly, I didn't expect this. It's not even 24 hours since my activation and I already understand a lot. 

Since on my left ear I have a moderately severe hearing loss, I can compare pure tones. And a great thing is that I hear the low tones as low tones with my implant. For example a 70Hz pure tone sounds almost identical with my implanted and non-implanted ear. Same with 65, 80, 90 Hz pure tones. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@dnagy

Terrific that you are starting off so well!  Enjoy your journey!

• Members

@dnagy That is great news!  Welcome to the CI wearing community.  Very nice that you are getting good performance so quickly.  It took me a month or so for it to start to start being helpful.  Six months later, I am writing this message while I am running a conference with 120 people in Mexico.  I am dealing with accents from 20 countries and lots of noisy events.  I could not imagine doing that before the CI.

@dnagy Congratulations! That's exciting 😁. Hoping for similar results on Friday, when my CI is activated. Enjoy all the new sounds!

Awesome @dnagy, Congratulations!! that's nothing less than rockstar activation. You are off to a great start, Enjoy the ride!!!

Thank you @Jimit @Tim @ERW and @Mary Beth

I just finished a 25 minute phone talk with my parents using Audiostream and they had to repeat only a couple sentences. I still have a lot of progress ahead especially music, but it's really awsome that I have a functional right ear after 15 years of deafness and only 10 days after activation.