There is a new, even longer electrode array

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Availability varies by country

In addition, the brand-new FLEX34 electrode array is already in the newest version of OTOPLAN.

and REALLY cool new features to the OTOPLAN software for surgeons.

https://blog.medel.pro/products-updates/new-features-in-otoplan-enhanced-hearing-implant-individualization/

some features that may interest us include:

1) being able to use OTOPLAN prior to the second CI surgery to best match electrode locations so the two side me are more in line

2) being able to use OTOPLAN prior to the second CI surgery to best match placement of the internal components so the magnets are placed symmetrically for appearance purposes

• Like 2

• Members

@Mary Beth Thanks!  Perfect timing.  My clinic just called this morning to say insurance approved my post-op CT scan so I'll be an early person with the new Otoplan! 

They said in January based on a pre-op scan that I could use the longest electrode at the time (31.5 mm) instead of the surgeon's default choice of 28 mm - I wonder if the 34 would have worked too to get even more low frequency covered? 

May take a little time for all the benefits of the new Otoplan capabilities to be adopted by surgeons but seems like it will help make for even more success.

@Tim did they say if your cochlear was large enough to fit something longer than the 31.5?

@Mary Beth thanks for sharing. I might be way wrong here but I don’t know if Med-El gets enough credit for all their “behind the scenes” work and research. It’s really phenomenal and outstanding work.

Loved the ABF shoutout halfway through the article. There’s options for implanted/adjusted people too, though it was previously brought up that it’s necessary to have deep insertion of the electrode array. 

Hi, I have a further assessment/hopefully discussing brand choice appointment in 2 weeks. So would I be asking the surgeon if he uses  Otoplan, and is it generally considered better to have as long as possible electrodes?  I haven't read enough on this issue to understand!

Thanks, K

• Members
6 hours ago, Anthony Canada said:

@Tim did they say if your cochlear was large enough to fit something longer than the 31.5?

All my surgeon said at the time was that Otoplan indicated that I could get the 31.5.  No word about being able to fit something longer since it wasn't an option at the time way back 6 months ago. 

Just a curiousity about whether it would have been an option but I think anybody that got surgery with a good outcome should be happy.  The "would have/could have" game is never ending and any change might not have worked out as well.  My surgeon got a full insertion and all electrodes are working well.  He usually did 28 mm when doing Med-El, I probably would have wanted time to practice before doing a 34!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kathryn

using a long electrode array, matched to our individual cochleas, provides the most coverage of our cochleas which allows us to benefit from the pitches that those regions are designed to deliver

Hoping Med-El can continue getting the word out about Otoplan. Heard from one person just now that said a rep from the “yellow” company told them that Otoplan was just a marketing tool. Makes me sad to see this exciting research and opportunity for users being dismissed like that.