Should I extend my warranty?

Emily C.

Hi guys!

Been a long time since I've been on here - some of you may vaguely recall the newbie in Ohio from a few years back who was trying to figure out from others what an implant would be like and was getting started with the basics.  This place was great, but sorry I just drifted after actually getting my implant and things being just fine with it, what with mentally keeping up with various other things and forums and not having much to say!

I have a question for those of you experienced users, though!  Surprisingly, I am now coming up on 5 years with my implant!  And as some probably know, that's when the beginning warranty ends!  I got a letter from Med-El explaining the expensive cost now and what's covered and what to consider.  And... crap, I'm stuck.  Nothing bad has happened, but what if it does?  Tell me - did you/would you extend your warranty, and why?

Maybe sometimes insurance would cover most things... apparently there's a department you can talk to about that, I just hate calling customer service.  If you aren't covered, it's $745 for repairs to the audio processor.  Otherwise, 1 year extended service contract is $650 to cover repairs.  And/or $650 for one-time replacement under Theft/Loss/Accidental Damage Coverage plan.

Thanks for any thoughts!  Hope things have been going well!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

It’s a tough call.  If insurance would cover a repair if/when needed, then there is no need for the coverage as long as you have a back up processor to use while waiting out the insurance approval process.

Ha... true...   Aww, hi... figured you might reply... was kinda hoping some others would too, just wondering who's bothered with it and who hasn't, and why.  But thanks...  Like you said, I think the main thing of it is if you think you can rely on insurance.  Which... yeahh......   tough one.  😕  

On 8/1/2023 at 4:35 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Emily C.

It’s a tough call.  If insurance would cover a repair if/when needed, then there is no need for the coverage as long as you have a back up processor to use while waiting out the insurance approval process.

Again my frugal 2 cents! Both $650 or $795 would be alot for me, would have to chrge on a card and make small payments. My state medicaid changed in april once feds covid support stopped, i dont have alot of ci coverage probably alot like other retired folks with basic social security.

So, i would have to take the insurance because just like auto insurance..go cheap and have an accident, murphy's law!!