How to do bimodal streaming with Rondo 3

Joel

Do you know which Widex Moment hearing aid you have? I looked up specs and it’s possible only two models have telecoil. 

Bimodal streaming with the Rondo 3 entails using telecoil and has a drawback and isn't a good fit for me. Happy to help you try it out if telecoil is an option for you, just depends on if your hearing aid is compatible. 

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to add that I use an iPhone. My hearing aids are widex momentum mric r 440. I believe it does support telcoil however I’m not familiar with the advantages of telecoil, but have heard plenty of knocks against it.

Ok. For bimodal streaming you’ll need:

1- Telecoil adapter for Rondo 3.

2- A telecoil neckloop. A popular option here is the Artone 3 MAX neckloop.

3- Some hearing aids require audiologists to turn on telecoil. If your audiologist hasn’t already done this, they will need to. 

The downside to the Rondo 3 telecoil is myself and some other users who have tried it experience a ticking sound while it’s plugged in. To stop it you’ll have to put the Rondo 3 into flight mode. The downside to flight mode is it disables Bluetooth meaning you won’t be able to use a remote (FineTuner Echo or AudioKey2 phone app) to change settings until the processor is taken out of flight mode. 

Using telecoil adapter:

Putting Rondo 3 into flight mode if you experience the ticking sound:

1. Switch off the audio processor and wait at least 2 seconds.
  2. Switch on the audio processor and wait until the main indicator light blinks blue for the first time.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
  4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again.
  5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 one more time.
  6. The main indicator will briefly blink red to confirm that the flight mode has been successfully activated. If you do not see the red light, repeat steps 1 to 5.

With the Rondo 3 that will work though it isn’t easy or convenient. I did not like my Rondo 3 for bimodal streaming before I went bilateral.

Sonnet 2 is much more bimodal friendly with Telecoil. All that’s needed is a neckloop and a remote (phone or physical) to put the processor into telecoil mode (MT or T)  

If you’re wanting to bimodal stream via Bluetooth you’ll need a compatible Android phone and hearing aid.  @Mary Beth or @Dianna might know more.

IMG_6935.thumb.jpeg.5809d6896ce4a78aeb5d8c45cc8977e6.jpeg

Just my personal experience, the Sonnet 2 is friendlier for bimodal streaming. 

Telecoil: simpler and easier on the wallet to get up and running if you don’t already have all the stuff needed. If all you need is the neckloop those can be purchased relatively inexpensively. 

For bimodal Bluetooth streaming:

IMG_6936.thumb.jpeg.713ddc7d42e33ce91dda2cd574624d93.jpeg

IMG_6935.thumb.jpeg.a3e51ca0e3bf87439cd0f90479a4881f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Joel said:

Thanks and this will allow for bimodal hearing? Based on the quality of sound it may be easier to get a cheap android and use the sonnet?

@Joel I use a Rondo3, a Widex Evoke hearing aid in the other ear and an Iphone. I have never had luck with telecoils and my hearing aids so I can't speak to the quality of the Artone. 

If you are looking to connect over Bluetooth you use the Audio2Ear ap to stream to your Rondo3 over the Audiolink device or you can stream to your hearing aid over its Bluetooth connection. Currently Iphones do not allow you to stream to both devices at once. Android ASHA technology is supposed to but I have not made the Android jump so I can't tell you how well it works or how to set it up. 

So, if I’m hearing everyone correctly … and the reason this so important to me is that I do group coaching over Zoom and I have to hear every conversation … is to use Sonnet with an Artone necklace and an android phone. 
On the android phone, because I would only be using it for Bluetooth probably doesn’t need a calling plan.

@Joel

Telecoil neckloop will connect to your device (iPhone) via Bluetooth and to your hearing aid and cochlear implant processor via the telecoil neckloop to transmit sound. Telecoil neckloop will work with Android or iPhone. I do not think a telecoil loop will work to transmit your voice as there’s no microphone component (at least not on the Artone 3 Max) so it might not be a good fit for you.

For bimodal streaming to both your processor and hearing aid via Bluetooth, you’ll need an android phone plus the AudioStream for your Sonnet processor. Currently only a few android phones will allow streaming to two different hearing devices. I am a dedicated iPhone user so that is the extent of my knowledge. 

Yes. The Artone 3 Max is a telecoil neckloop, there are many other brands you could look at too besides Artone.

It’s definitely not easy to stream bimodally. 

• Members

@Joel  I'm SSD so have been luckily aim to avoid the whole bimodal streaming challenge. It probably takes a little while and some experimentation to figure out systems for getting things to work right for each of us. 

In my usage:

My Google Pixel 6a phone running Android 14 beta 4.1.  It is linked to only my Sonnet 2.  Easy to stream using Audiostream.  Better connectivity outweighs my comfort preference for my Rondo.

I use an old Samsung S6lite tablet with my Audiolink as my main Rondo 3 streamer as it uses a 3.5 mm audio cable. I have my Rondo 3 BT connected for Audiokey2 control using my tablet.

I do not do anything with telecoil - 6.5 months and have never tried it on either Sonnet 2 or Rondo 3.

While this isn't a perfect workflow, it means that I don't need to mess around in Audiokey2 switching processors and I can stream in different ways. 

If you want to experiment, I think it might work from what people have said to have two devices connected at once.  You could try buying a Google Pixel as your streamer, video calling tool.  (Used would be fine too, I would go with 6a or newer.) Medium or high-end Samsungs may work. 

-----------

Not sure if these things are addressing your use case.  "Group coaching via Zoom" is likely similar to my use case as a university professor and department chair.  I have probably had over 200 zoom meetings and classes in my 6 months post-activation. 

When I want to get maximum audio quality in my office, I'll use the microphone and speakers on my monitor.  Let my CI side get carried along with my good ear. When I need to get maximum audio quality out of the office, I headphones that I can jerry-rig in different ways. 

If I want to use it as a partial rehab opportunity and sacrifice some hearing quality, I'll wear earmuffs to disadvantage my good ear. Not bad in the occasional obligatory but unimportant zoom meetings.

After a couple of months of rehab, I could stream out from the headphone jack of my laptop to my audiolink to my Audiolink leaving my good ear out of the loop entirely.  Not something that I currently do for important meetings though.  (Of course people lucky to have a "golden activation" like @dnagy could do in 2 weeks what took me 2 months!)  After 2 months I could do a streamed telephone call straight to my CI but only under ideal conditions. (i.e. clear speaker, no speakerphone on the other end, etc.)

Not sure if this helps as I've never had to worry about things like differential delays with a hearing aid.

There is a lot of trial and error involved and recognize that everything that kinda works now will just keep getting better with rehab and eventually future technology.  The good part is that you can practice zoom meetings in low stakes ways. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joel

Are you able to use ways that are not streaming to hear in both your HA and Rondo 3 on zoom calls?

Have you tried using headphones?  There are flat stereo speaker headphones that are in a headband like CozyPhones active wear or CozyBand.

Even with an android phone-dual streaming to AudioLink plus a hearing aid is not an option as far as I know.  Med-El has advertised android dual streaming to the Sonnet2/Sonnet AudioStream only.

Tech takes trial and error for sure.

I use video meeting platforms often and just listen through the computer speaker.  If I want a private listening experience, I use my BOSE QC35 around the ear headphones with my Sonnets.  I used those when I was bimodal too.

2 hours ago, Joel said:

Thanks ... great idea. What is HA?  "(re you able to use ways that are not streaming to hear the other both your HA and Rondo 3 on zoom calls?")

jc

HA in this context stands for hearing aid.

Hi joel, i am bimodal with sonnet2 and oticon more 3.

Previously samsung 9 and currently samsung 23, i can use my phone, have 2 hearing devices connected and can stream to both devices using phone controls. Its tricky, and the streaming is difficult where i live in the country. My audi also had me using audiolink and actually had both sides working but i have not had great success more than a few times. Im retired and have very few phone calls.

I have weak signals at times so one side drops.

Its doable for sure. Ive only got audiolink, no telecoils yet. 2 years in since implant, i just dont set it up often. Im sure a 1 on 1 call with medel should assist with your devices.

Oh, and the newer androids have no earphone plug, otherwise i used to connect audio link by cable.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, Joel said:

So, if I’m hearing everyone correctly … and the reason this so important to me is that I do group coaching over Zoom and I have to hear every conversation … is to use Sonnet with an Artone necklace and an android phone. 
On the android phone, because I would only be using it for Bluetooth probably doesn’t need a calling plan.

So, if you have a Samsung.  You can connect the AudioStream which is the battery case that usually comes with all Sonnet 2s now and your BT HA at the same time via dual BT feature.  No need for any neckloop.  I’m an iPhone user but up until earlier this year, was Bimodal and used a cheap Samsung s10e to stream to both.  Nothing else required.  Just pair them (can be kinda tricky) and that’s that.  

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU. IT WORKS!

This newbie wants to thank everyone for their quick responses to my question.

This Forum overwhelmed me with their care for each other, whether you've been here for years or a few days.  And many thanks to Bridget Davis for her guidance.  I now get the audio from Zoom and from my iPhone in both my Rondo 3 and my Widex Momentum H/A using the Artone 3 Max.

We had a challenge and we discovered something new. The Widex Momentum re-chargeable H/A does not include Telecoil. But if you use the Widex Sound Assist, it includes Telecoil.  Wow, listen to me, I sound like I've been doing this for years, and the audio reception is fantastic. 

Thanks again and it's now my turn to pay it forward. Happy to help anyone where I can. 

Joel

• Like 2