Audiostream works on one side not the other

dkritter

Hello,

I just received a new processor for my right ear a couple weeks ago.  I have been implanted in my left side for several years. 

With my new package I received (2) audiostreams. I have been able to pair them fairly easily after a few tries but that is not my issue.

My issue is:

The right one (new implant) works just fine and I can stream to it with either audiostream.  The left one (old implant) just buzzes or ticks and no streaming comes through. 

I switched them around and re-paired them several times and still the left just buzzes or ticks and the right ear works fine regardless of which audiostream is attached.

So it does not seem to be the audiostream but perhaps it's the older processor not compatible?

Not sure and was hoping someone has had this issue and knows the solution.

I have contacted Med-El to see what they have to say.

Thanks for your help

• HearPeers Heroes

We need to use an updated rechargeable battery adapter or updated disposable battery pack with AudioStream.  They have a Wi-Fi symbol on them. @dkritter

Do you have a spare one in your new kit?  If yes, put it on your other Sonnet:

I know I have a spare disposable battery pack not sure if I have a rechargeable one - I will check. But I looked and you are 100% correct the new one has the wi-fi symbol the other does not. Be nice if Med-El had a more in-depth and substantial manual and trouble shooting guide. 

Thank you again

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@dkritter

If you find that you need to order a newer rechargeable battery adapter or disposable battery pack that has the Wi-Fi symbol on it for your older processor, compare the price of buying an AudioStream instead because Med-El US had AudioStream for self pay packs that INCLUDED either the rechargeable battery adapter or disposable battery pack (our choice) for the same price.  Maybe they still do.  It may be a much better use of your money.  Worth checking it out.

22 hours ago, dkritter said:
Hello,

I just received a new processor for my right ear a couple weeks ago.  I have been implanted in my left side for several years. 

With my new package I received (2) audiostreams. I have been able to pair them fairly easily after a few tries but that is not my issue.

My issue is:

The right one (new implant) works just fine and I can stream to it with either audiostream.  The left one (old implant) just buzzes or ticks and no streaming comes through. 

I switched them around and re-paired them several times and still the left just buzzes or ticks and the right ear works fine regardless of which audiostream is attached.

So it does not seem to be the audiostream but perhaps it's the older processor not compatible?

Not sure and was hoping someone has had this issue and knows the solution.

I have contacted Med-El to see what they have to say.

Thanks for your help

Was your AudioStream on the left side able to stream prior to going Bilateral or are you just now trying with the left?  which processor is it on the older side since the Sonnet 2 has been out since 2020ish?

43 minutes ago, John F said:

Was your AudioStream on the left side able to stream prior to going Bilateral or are you just now trying with the left?  which processor is it on the older side since the Sonnet 2 has been out since 2020ish?

Even if it's a Sonnet 2, the early ones came with an incompatible battery adapter (previous revision, all new stock is going to be compatible). I had to buy the AudioStream with the compatible battery adapter, because the one it came with is the one without the wireless symbol. I keep that one as a backup in case either of the battery adapters breaks, for an emergency backup it the lack of streaming is not that important.

For me it went like this: September 2020 - Sonnet 2 without AudioStream, old adapter.

September 2021, AudioStream included in the package, both battery adapters compatible.

So the update to the package was somewhere between these two dates.

I received my ci in sept. 2021, which included audiostream and sonnet2eas, has all batteries that work. Unfortunately i lost 2 batteries yesterday on a road trip so switching to rechargables lol. Might speed up my purchase of battery max lol.

• Members

@Dianna Sorry to hear about losing batteries. 

As for the Max battery, I've used it a couple of times but I don't like giving up streaming.

I would love to get an Airstream Max if Med-El made one. It might be big to hang off an ear but it sure would be nice so I could use my Sonnet 2 all day long and not plant to change change batteries before driving home from work. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

Most likely since both the AudioStream and the rechargeable battery MAX were released much later than the Sonnet/Sonnet2 processors, there are some trade offs.  Hopefully the next BTE processor and the next off the ear processor will both have built in BT receivers for direct streaming which will support the new BT & AuraCast that is in our future.  Then battery choice will not limit streaming.

• Members

@Mary Beth Yes - I agree - I'm not expecting an Audiostream Max given the late stage in the product life cycle of the Sonnet 2.  Sort of wishful thinking but I would pay out of pocket for it.

Future processors are likely to address streaming  much more directly.

I got mine a little over 1.5 years apart and remember having a heck of a time getting the newer one paired. Eventually got it but wish it was easier to setup  

As for the Max batteries being incompatible with AudioStream that’s the reason I opted to not get them to try them out. I can get longer battery life out of disposables even with heavy streaming and I did finally switch to disposables once folks here helped me set up a Roku for TV streaming to AudioStream (as an alternative to AudioLink). 

Looking forward to seeing whatever Med-El has been working on for the next generation CIs and accessories. :) 

7 hours ago, Enegra said:

Even if it's a Sonnet 2, the early ones came with an incompatible battery adapter (previous revision, all new stock is going to be compatible). I had to buy the AudioStream with the compatible battery adapter, because the one it came with is the one without the wireless symbol. I keep that one as a backup in case either of the battery adapters breaks, for an emergency backup it the lack of streaming is not that important.

For me it went like this: September 2020 - Sonnet 2 without AudioStream, old adapter.

September 2021, AudioStream included in the package, both battery adapters compatible.

So the update to the package was somewhere between these two dates.

Aye.  Hence the question of when and what they have since unless I missed it, the only hint was one side was a few years old, while other recent.  The new one came with two AudioStreams.  If the left was the same timeframe MedEl began including it with their Sonnet 2 kits, then they may have the adapter already someplace.  Just trying to get more info as they supposedly hear clicks which I didn’t think one could if you don’t have the correct battery adapter but cannot test that personally. 

did you contact the company or your audiologist about the problems?,u are having with your audio link devices,i hope everything go well and i hope u get everything fix and u don't have anymore problems