Turning off electrodes and adapting to it.

Anthony Canada

I’m looking for feedback and experience with turning off electrodes.

This was inspired by @Mary Beth's comment during the monthly Google Meet.

My array has electrode #12 (highest pitch) turned off due to being completely unresponsive. Electrode #11 is partially responsive but doesn’t sound great. They’ve tested the array and the electrodes are functioning but on my end it isn’t producing a perceived sound.

#12 was turned off in my initial programming and my audiologist and the Med-El one both felt it would not be productive to try to continue to stimulate it. #11 produces an off-sounding noise that isn’t higher pitch than #10 and has distortion to it. The best description I can come up with is if you tried to use a symbol while someone had their finger on it causing it to have a very flat and slightly deeper sound.

My audiologist has suggested turning off #11 in one of my four programs to see if it provides better clarity for sounds – as opposed to having the highest pitched sounds not be “correct”. This would mean that the entire spectrum is redistributed over the remaining electrodes.

Has anyone else gone through this or something similar with electrodes?

Did you find that your brain automatically accepted the difference in what electrodes were stimulated or did you need to practice over time to get your brain used to the different stimulation / frequencies being sent to different electrodes? If it took time was this hours, days or longer?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Anthony Canada

If it was me, I would definitely turn off electrode 11 too (at least in one MAP).  My guess is you will enjoy clearer sound.  If you try it, report back.

As far as adjusting- since that electrode is not delivering a clean perceived sound for you now, your adjustment period may be short and quickly happy.  The only way to know for sure is to try it.

@NathalieM since you are presently not able to listen for all day without reducing volume, you may find turning off targeted electrode (s) to be a big relief and be able to stay in the targeted volume all day.  At the present your electrodes which are fine and not causing problems are getting reduced volume too since the problem electrode (s) causes you to need to lower the volume which impacts all electrodes.  Keep us posted.

Wishing you both great success at appts!

• Like 2

I have the higher pitch electrodes (11-12) off for several reasons.

Initially it was due to getting the sensation of sound without actual sound, accompanied by facial twitching. Now, the twitching is gone but higher pitches/frequencies sound absolutely terrible so my audiologist and I try to avoid those altogether. 

• Like 3

Got clarification today on a couple things, one being my electrode situation.

Right side: Electrodes 11-12 are off so I was correct there.

Left side: Electrode 9 is turned off.

• Like 2

Hiya!!

I have flex 24, last electrode completely out per surgeon, next 2 over stimulate face. So i have 9 activated. I had alot of "dinking" with dishes and bells and recently backed down two arrays. Listening is more comfortable, and ive had my omni only (no ai) on for two days. Im wishing for more "directional" hearing all the time. Currently wearing oticon ha on right with ci on left. I cant always tell the direction of sound.  My audi aims toward "equal" levels of sound on the maestro which im not sure i like, but its working for now. I recently had two days of testing, natural, with ci, and gobs of tests in booth. It took 2 days to recover, lol. Waiting for results to show up in my chart.

I am sooo curious i wish i could have an after surgery scan but i would have to pay out of pocket and cant at this time.

@Dianna I wish I could have that scan too unfortunately Otoplan is not available where I'm at. I'm not sure if it is a federal or provincial restriction. 

How do you find the range of frequencies with 9 active electrodes? Is it as smooth and rich as you'd like?

Hi anthony, right now im listening to christmas music. Its much smoother than two years ago and im pretty happy. I have an ha on right thats helps a bit. I would like more bass but i think that might be if the inactive worked. It might be worked. I definately prefer the omni mic with nothing blocked. 

• Like 1