Mapping programs thoughts?

Rob Gellner

My surgery is 9 days away so im excited for that.  I have a choice of ABF or standard mapping so I am assuming the ABF anatomy based fitting is the better way to go?  Is there an advantage of one mapping over another?  Also unrelated but something I just found out from my med el rep Kim Twichell was that Meludia would be free to me being in Canada. So I think that is new.  Not sure if it’s because im getting my CI in 2024 ?  

Edited by Rob Gellner
Typo

🙂

Edited by Rob Gellner
Delete messages

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

Choosing anatomy based fitting at activation should be a great opportunity.  Your brain will learn to hear with a CI with the electrodes matched better for natural frequency areas in your cochlea.

It seems that the free Meludia subscription has been extended for many.  Last I saw it specifically states it is not available in the US nor Japan due to regulatory issues.  People in the US and Japan can choose to pay for such a subscription if desired.

A few months ago it was the case for Canada where you had to pay no it’s free I guess here. I was goi h to to pay anyways so now I don’t have to. As a musician I’m looking forward to trying meludia out.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I am glad you can try it for free now @Rob Gellner.  I believe before Med-El US & Canada were joined and now they are separate.

@Rob Gellner

ABF is definitely worth trying! If you don’t like it, either at all or in parts, it can be changed. 

I got ABF after being 7 months adjusted to a MAP based on default settings/recommendations. The MAP change wasn’t easy due to being adjusted to the old MAP but I stuck with it because I liked the clarity it gave me vs the old MAP. Now I’m well adjusted to my ABF map and doing well so last time I had an appointment we made zero changes. Guess I finally have a stable MAP.

Not everyone who tried ABF likes it. Tagging @Tim here as he tried ABF and can give you his take on it. 

It makes sense to me that it would be the closest fit. I have a friend who I just found out is a bilateral ci user with two med el and is a musician but she didn’t know about the ABF apparently she heard things a minor third out so that kind of messes up her musicality. I’m not sure if it would help her but I guess theory wise it should. 

• Members

@Rob Gellner ABF wasn't beneficial in my case starting at about the 6 month mark post activation but I think it might have been if I had been able to do it from the start.   Also, it seems like the specific placement such as the length of the electrode, length of the cochlear duct, and where it enters.  My electrode placement was such that two electrodes were inserted but would have been above the frequency range supported by the CI (8500 Hz.)  If it had gone a little deeper, it might have provided a nicer map of frequencies.  (There is a thread that I posted technical detail if you are a quantitative person but I won't clutter up this thread with repeating it.)

Also, there seems to be two forms of ABF - a pure ABF or a hybrid ABF that adjusts the frequencies to still use all the electrodes.  We used a hybrid ABF frequency map in my case.  Again, boring technical details in the above thread.  I had a MedEl rep at my ABF appointment as I was the first or second for my Audi.

If I didn't try it I would have been left wondering "what if?".  I'm glad I tried it in my case and in the end it, spending about 2 months trying it it didn't set me back at all in terms of rehab progress when I switched back to the standard map. 

Seems like a no lose proposition to give it a try and if I were in your situation, that is what I would choose. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

I have read and spoke with quite a few people who have used anatomy based fitting for frequency allocation in their programs.  This is what I have noticed so far…

everyone of them who was activated with an anatomy based fitting program learned to listen with their CI just fine with such MAPs

CI users who had already adjusted to their non anatomy based fitting programs and then at a later time tried an anatomy based fitting program have had mixed results.  Some like the anatomy based fitting program after getting used to it.  Others do not and return to their non anatomy based fitting programs.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:51 PM, Rob Gellner said:

My surgery is 9 days away so im excited for that.

Hey Rob - thinking about you as you approach your surgery date (unless it's today?). Good luck!

And thanks for the heads up re: Meludia - my trial ends soon and I'll be reaching out to Kim about the feasibility of a free subscription (btw - she was my audi back when I was first implanted!).

Thanks. My surgery is Thursday . I m both excited and nervous. Hoping it goes off with out a hitch.  I did find out I’m getting a 31 mm electrode so will see how that works. Also my activation date is Feb 27. Woohoo 

• Like 2

I’ve got a unique Hybrid ABF, meaning there’s actually a few electrodes disabled and the range pushed into the remaining electrodes last I knew but getting actual info has been like pulling teeth, this has been working quite well, minus the automation stuff that isn’t conducive to music (Violinist here).  I was implanted starting in 2021 and again in 2023.   I’ll probably make a separate thread once I can sit down since there’s a lot of moving parts involved and details.  

But, if the option is there go with ABF over regular.  As others stated, you can always change it later.  Either way there’ll be adjustments and all that.  

I’m happy to know a violinist is using a ci and that it’s working for you. It seems playing in tune with a ci would be as challenging as singing in tune. Hopefully music sounds normal to you now or close to it. I’m hoping I’ll be able to carry on with trumpet and composing after my activation and lots of music rehab. I assume it will take a long time and that’s ok. Im patient.  

20 hours ago, Rob Gellner said:

I’m happy to know a violinist is using a ci and that it’s working for you. It seems playing in tune with a ci would be as challenging as singing in tune. Hopefully music sounds normal to you now or close to it. I’m hoping I’ll be able to carry on with trumpet and composing after my activation and lots of music rehab. I assume it will take a long time and that’s ok. Im patient.  

To be upfront and honest, it’s not normal currently.  But the program (2nd was duplicated and has max wind program on).  But, it could (potentially) be if I could ever get a naked program without some of the front-end programs enabled like Adaptive Intelligence, Ambient Sounds, etc since even with those on notes are almost fine, they just get choked right now.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

I am a fan of Omni mic setting with all front end features turned off- music sounds best this way for me.

adaptive intelligence - off

windblock- off

transient noise reduction- off

ambient noise reduction- off

• Members

As long as we are talking music - @Mary Beth that program is my favorite to use on my Sonnet 2 when it is sitting underneath my good bluetooth headphones too.  Try too keep the Sonnet from over thinking (over processing) what is being provided by the headphones. 

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John F

I am a fan of Omni mic setting with all front end features turned off- music sounds best this way for me.

adaptive intelligence - off

windblock- off

transient noise reduction- off

ambient noise reduction- off

How is it around live instruments?  

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

absolutely fabulous!   Love love love the individual distinct voices of live instruments