Anyone bimodal?

mshaley2

My son is bimodal and we may have a chance to change his hearing aid.  He has a Phonak right now.  But I’m thinking of getting one that works better with all of Med-El’s accessories.  What do you recommend for a hearing aid?

• HearPeers Heroes

@mshaley2

I am not sure of your son’s age or if he streams audio from phones/tablets.  Which processor does he use?

If streaming audio to both HA and CI is not important at this time for your son, he can use whichever hearing aid his audiologist feels will provide the best hearing on that side.

He has a sonnet.  And yes, he loves streaming but alll his tech only bluetooth’s to his hearing aid.  I would love for it to connect to both.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@mshaley2

This is called BIMODAL STREAMING- streaming by BT directly to one CI processor and one hearing aid.

It is possible to do this with Med-El Sonnet/Sonnet2.  BUT using a compatible hearing aid model and a compatible phone is required.  As well as purchasing the AudioStream for Sonnet/Sonnet2 which has the BTLE receiver built into this special battery cover.  He can use that battery cover all of the time- even when not streaming.

Contact your Med-El customer service rep or visit the Med-El shop online to order the AudioStream.  Insurance hasn’t covered it for most people.

Here is a link which lists both compatible phones and compatible hearing aid models.

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream#bimodal

thank you,

Yes, this is what I would like to do.  I just have to have a hearing aid that is compatible.  I am wondering if anyone here has a hearing aid they would recommend.  We have only used Phonak and it is not compatible with Med-El’s accessories.

• HearPeers Heroes

Let’s see which members are using bimodal streaming with android phone & AudioStream…..

@Bill C  

IMG_5456.jpeg

IMG_5457.jpeg

@mshaley2 I'm bimodal and my hearing aid audiologist was very interested in the Signia hearing aid as an option for me until I selected the Rondo 3 (with no BT) instead of the Sonnet 2. Now I'm waiting for Auracast. I'm not sure if her choice is device would have changed if I was younger. I'm in a business environment all day that relies on oral communication with smaller groups. If I were in school the classroom settings might have changed her opinion on what device.

Ok, great!  Signia.  I’m trying my best to research them but it’s hard to get them all.  He is only 11 and I need it to last but still be functional and grow with him.  Thanks for the input

• 4 weeks later...

I have Sonnet 2 and just got an Oticon More hearing aid with a Pixel 7 phone which are all supposed to work to stream together. It works until I have to disconnect Sonnet or hearing aid. The only way to get back to bimodal streaming is to forget devices on phone, delete apps, redownload apps  and repair devices. In other words, bimodal streaming is not working as it should. MedEl support is working on it..... Meanwhile I have to stream to either hearing aid or Sonnet not together. It is great when it does work .

Do you think that’s the phone doing that or the devices?

I really don't know. I have contacted Google, Oticon and MedEl support. Google and Oticon aren't interested with my bimodal streaming problems. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope Med-El support can assist you as both your phone and hearing aid are listed on Med-El’s website as compatible for bimodal streaming.

If you are in the US you can request a free 1:1 tech support with a Med-El audiologist for help.

I appreciate your input as we decide how to proceed with his next hearing aid.  Thank you

On 2/18/2024 at 6:50 AM, Curly said:

I have Sonnet 2 and just got an Oticon More hearing aid with a Pixel 7 phone which are all supposed to work to stream together. It works until I have to disconnect Sonnet or hearing aid. The only way to get back to bimodal streaming is to forget devices on phone, delete apps, redownload apps  and repair devices. In other words, bimodal streaming is not working as it should. MedEl support is working on it..... Meanwhile I have to stream to either hearing aid or Sonnet not together. It is great when it does work .

Hi curly, i am bimodal with sonnet2eas on right and oticon more 3. I have samsung 23, android phone. I can stream both but i live in the country and not great blue tooth. I dont stream both very often. My audi for the ha is a college professor and she set up my oticon. She actually had both oticon and ci going through my audio link!! So your audiologist SHOULD know how to do it.

Does your pixel have set up for hearing? Samsung has "hearing device" set up i can balance left and right volume. I am so sorry you are having issues. There is a bimodal group on facebook, also an oticon facebook group that has a really great couple of folks who are very very helpful...i get so much from hearpeers and these two groups experiences....also do you have oticon "companion" ?

I apologise i am on vacation in california until end of february and may not answer right away...

Dianna, 

Thank you for your input. I am using Oticon Companion app and Audiokey2 app. I haven't tried streaming with both from Audio link. I can stream from TV to Sonnet with audio link. I will have to try that when I get home. I am on vacation also. 

• 2 weeks later...

Diana, 

Thanks, I hope you had a good vacation also. Still having the same problems with bimodal streaming. I tried to stream call with both hearing aid and Audio link and it will only stream to one or the other also. I can switch it back and forth from hearing aid to audio link while I'm on the call. I had another appointment with audiologist yesterday and a MedEL representative. No solution yet, but still researching solutions.

• 3 weeks later...

Anything further on this? I have a HA appointment next month and need to replace my phonak. I love it and due to my CI ear having had a CROS have streamed to only one ear for ages. Now…I will be able to stream to both. I have a pixel4.

As a former Bimodal user, you want Android devices (phone and tablet) that support Dual Bluetooth and ASHA (unsure this makes a difference but can’t hurt).  You can then stream to both devices at the same time.  Usually if there’s an issue after connecting, the device is connected elsewhere.  Otherwise, it can be fickle to get set up.  Once I got my cheap Android phone and tablet set up, it was just like an Apple device requiring turning off BT on one to enable it to show on the other.

You cannot use the AudioLink to stream from TV to both devices.  At this point, you need the artone neckloop and a Telecoil program on the HA to do so.  Unsure if the Fire cube would allow it (planning to test the thing out today but am Bilateral).  Otherwise, your Bimodal streaming abilities are limited to say the least and neither MedEl or any other company makes it easy.

I had an Oticon More 1.  Majority of the time I’d end up simply streaming to just the HA from the Oticon TV streamer.  Not ideal but since AudioLink (for me) was useless even after a few different exchanges then that’s what I ended up settling on.