New CI SSD Left

WarrantyVoided_Left

I suddenly lost the hearing in my left ear in April of 2023.  I went completely deaf so fast that my brain really believed I could hear and I had many phantom sounds.  
I had implant surgery in November 2023 and my activation day occurred in December of 2023.  The processors I use are the Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 and both have helped with phantom sounds but they return when I don’t have a processor on. 
So far I am really happy with my CI and processors.

Hello everyone!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi and welcome!  You are fortunate to have your surgery so quickly after your hearing loss, that is terrific. I suspect your phantom sounds are like my tinnitus, which also dampens down when my processor is on (a common experience). Also over time even my non-processor hearing has lost much of the tinnitus awareness, which I hope also happens for you!    I am also single sided deaf so we may have some similar experiences in other ways too. I am 5 years in now, and very happy with my progress - my stereo hearing is excellent.

• Members

Another warm welcome from a fellow SSD person. I had to wait about 16 years after starting to lose my hearing and 6 or 7 years after qualifying for a CI to get my CI.  I had my surgery and activation in January 2023 so I'm a little further down the path and happy to share any learnings along the way. 

It seems many hearing journeys have potholes along the way (mine included) but patience and a positive attitude helps a lot. 

Like @Kylie happy with how things are now and things are still improving.  Has improved things in social situations, at work, and the alleviation of tinnitus was almost as nice as the improvement in the hearing.

Welcome to Hearpeers!