First impressions after activation

Rob Gellner

Well I’m officially part of this club. Got activated today a few hours ago. Was very nervous prior to going in where I was excited weeks leading up to today.  My Audi uploaded my ABF after doing level checks to get comfortable volumes. Things sound a bit muffled but maybe that’s the volume too low. I downloaded angelsounds and got an 80 percent first try on the easiest setting so that was good. My wife sounds about where I remember her sounding.  No mechanical sounds or Mickey Mouse. If anything maybe a little lower in pitch than normal. I attribute that to the ABF. There are moments were a word pops out clear but I need to read lips still. I had no expectations today so I think I’m happy with my first few hours.  Looking forward to audiobooks which I did a few minutes of that with my Audi.  I could at least keep up to the written words but couldn’t quite make out the words more rhythm. Anyway I’m happy with things so far and I realize I need to let my brain do it’s thing.  Anyway. Thought I would share that with you all 

• Members

Great start!  Sounds like an ABF success story in the making. 

Thanks all.   Things are still muffled sounding but that is expected.  I thought I would try playing my chapman stick and was happy that although muffled I could hear the bass notes were there and they were in tune with my HA ear so I was happy about that.  Ill have to wait and see how much more it improves.  The audi said he could put the other program they normally use if I wanted to try that.  Im thinking i'm hearing unidirectional so far and i swear there is some compression happening as thing seem quiet sometimes and other times not.  Like my HA used to  before I had them turn it off.  NOw iM off to listen to some audio books with my CI only  

Chat  or see you all on Sunday maybe

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

Is your program in omni mic setting?  If not, the other settings do dampen sounds they deem to be noise.

@Rob Gellner when I was activated they started with only one program and at a lower volume. My volume increased at my one week, two week and one month visits. My audiologist lets me take a picture of the mapping at each visit. If I was doing it again I'd want one program in each (AI, adaptive mic, natural and omni) so that you can see the differences in each. Don't be afraid to ask for solutions that work well for you. 

Hope you can join us Sunday.

Hey there folks. Question. Lately I’ve been noticing a constant whining sounds like feedback Andy Audi said that can be normal to hear that for the first week or so.  It finds like tinnitus which it isn’t because when I take my processor off it goes away. Does any remember having a constant mid to high pitch “ringing “. Maybe it’s environmental and I’m not able to identify it yet like a fan but I notice it in my truck with everything turned off. Any thoughts. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner make sure you are not accidentally in the MT setting.

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Rob Gellner make sure you are not accidentally in the MT setting.

I think so.

If I use MT, I hear a deep engine-like sound. This sound is not annoying, but it is heard constantly,  especially in very quiet environments.
When I use M, the sound disappears.

On this topic I have noticed recently (after re-mapping to ABF 2 weeks after initial activation) that I am picking up what sounds like feedback when I walk, esp outside.  It is a high pitched whistling.  I have checked my settings in AK2 and it is set for mic.  No matter what volume or sensitivity I use it is the same.

Any idea what this is?  IS it fixable?

• HearPeers Heroes

Are you possibly hearing the wind move over the mics?  Try cupping your hand to block the mics when that happens and see if it disappears.

• Members

@jcech344 Hard to say off-hand.  Could be just slow adaptation to the ABF. 

Not sure what you mean by Audiokey2 being set for "mic".  Since you talk about it being particularly noticeable while walking, it might be wind noise getting amplified at a frequency that your brain does not know how to handle yet given the ABF. 

@Mary Beth suggestion for cupping isgreat.  I can get wind noise walking down the hallway briskly at my office. 

My guess would be try a program such as tamps down wind noise to see if that affects the phenomenon.  Not knowing what you have for programs as a recently activated person, you might check AK2 to see if you have an option for "Adaptive Intelligence Strong".  They may be numbered just 1, 2, 3, or 4.  If so, you would need to have notes on what, if any differentiation was done for that. 

Many people here prefer programs that use omni microphones.  As an SSD person, I'm using the CI to supplement my good ear and I've found a slight preference for the "Adaptive Intelligent Mild mode" program as my "daily driver."  It defaults to Mild wind noise noise reduction in most settings.  Going up to "Adaptive Intelligence Strong mode" does even more to eliminate wind noise but has significant signal processing that many may object to.  I only use it when I am in very bad audio environments.

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of all the crazy terms, options, etc. and simplify note taking during my Audi appointment.  This is what it looks like for me.  I've shared a google docs version elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.025a9f91af935d6b77bc32d10d10596d.png

Well I have determined that covering the R3 with my cupped hand eliminates the whistle.  I also discovered that wearing my glasses (sun or prescription) makes the sound even louder.  Both the R3 and S2 (coil) are close to my ear so my glasses actually touch the unit.  This is why I asked in another post is the R3 can be turned upside down as it would make more room for glasses.

20240228_172013_resized.jpg

20240228_172036_resized.jpg

My programs on AK2 are just volume related at this point as I understand.  Going to the highest volume just increases the volume of the whistle, but the frequency.

• HearPeers Heroes

@jcech344

ask you audiologist to try windblock on.  It has three setting options for our audiologists- mild, strong, off