SAMBA 2 GO - Bluetooth Device

Davo

Hi there. 

I have some questions regarding the Samba 2 Go.. I'm currently yet to purchase this device and was hoping to use it with my new BCI 602 and Samba 2. 
I noticed that the instructions for use say that the device antenna is also the neck-loop. Is it possible to get some information about the necessity of using this neck loop when operating the device? Specifically I was hoping to permanently (or at the very least semi-permanently) attach the Samba 2 Go device to the back of my phone for constant connection without having to wear it on my body. 

Having to wear it around my neck at all times is SO SO cumbersome. The Cochlear True Wireless device that worked with Osia 200 did not have this limitation.

1. Is the requirement to wear it around the neck due to hardware/connectivity limitations specific to the usable range of the device? IE: Does the Samba 2 Go need to be within 30-60cm to work?
  2. If it is required for function, is there a smaller antenna option? 
  3. Is the neckloop the antenna for the connection between the Samba 2 and the Samba 2 Go? Or is it the FM radio antenna - similar to how older MP3/FM Devices functioned.

Some answers to this would be most appreciated. 
Cheers

Anyone from Med-el able to answer these questions?
 @MED-EL Moderator
I'm mainly looking for the clarification on whether or not the device will function/connect correctly without the neckloop. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Davo

I was on a group video call with a Med-El employee who had BoneBridge and was using Samba2Go throughout the call.  He was wearing it around his neck.  What amazed me was how well its mic picked up his voice for the call even when it was worn under his shirt.  I hope you receive answers to your questions.

@Davo thank you very much for your questions. We checked in with our experts here at HQ regarding this. 

The wireless connectivity between SAMBA 2 and SAMBA 2 GO is based on near-field magnetic induction. This protocol brings a great advantage in that the power consumption on the processor side is extremely low. So, this protocol is much more power efficient than any 2.4 GHz wireless transmission. Therefore, wearing the SAMBA 2 GO around the neck with the neck loop connected is mandatory. This neck loop acts as the antenna to transmit the signal.

On the incoming side, the SAMBA 2 GO offers a Bluetooth Classic connection. The big advantage of this is that it is compatible with the majority of smartphones, notebooks, and other devices. On top of that, it can also be connected with TV streamers and FM accessories.

The SAMBA 2 GO is a universal device with a low power consumption.

We also appreciate your feedback regarding how wearing something around the neck could be cumbersome and providing your experience with Cochlear's product. We have also shared this with our product experts at HQ. 

Kind Regards 

3 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

@Davo thank you very much for your questions. We checked in with our experts here at HQ regarding this. 

The wireless connectivity between SAMBA 2 and SAMBA 2 GO is based on near-field magnetic induction. This protocol brings a great advantage in that the power consumption on the processor side is extremely low. So, this protocol is much more power efficient than any 2.4 GHz wireless transmission. Therefore, wearing the SAMBA 2 GO around the neck with the neck loop connected is mandatory. This neck loop acts as the antenna to transmit the signal.

On the incoming side, the SAMBA 2 GO offers a Bluetooth Classic connection. The big advantage of this is that it is compatible with the majority of smartphones, notebooks, and other devices. On top of that, it can also be connected with TV streamers and FM accessories.

The SAMBA 2 GO is a universal device with a low power consumption.

We also appreciate your feedback regarding how wearing something around the neck could be cumbersome and providing your experience with Cochlear's product. We have also shared this with our product experts at HQ. 

Kind Regards 

Thank you for for checking with the team @MED-EL Moderator. Whilst unfortunate for me to read that - I can make adjustments accordingly. 
Can you please ask the team if the device would work if it were placed inside the lining of a hat? I regularly wear hats and if the neck-loop antenna ran around the inside of the hat would the proximity to the Samba 2 Sound Processor be too close?

@Davo

Thank you for your question. We checked in with our experts here, who told us this should not be an issue. Please remember that the loop has to be connected with the SAMBA 2 GO.

Kind Regards

1 minute ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

@Davo

Thank you for your question. We checked in with our experts here, who told us this should not be an issue. Please remember that the loop has to be connected with the SAMBA 2 GO.

Kind Regards

Thanks for checking and understood. The Samba 2 Go and required Neckloop would be stowed in the hat in a similar position and orientation, just above the Samba 2, instead of under it as it would be when worn on the neck. 

• Like 1

The Samba2Go is super handy for calls. I messed around not having it ON my neck and it still works but definitely not past arm's length. The microphone is in the Samba2Go as well so I'm not sure how well it would pick up your voice inside a hat. 😛

Keep in mind, you're gonna have to wear your hat maybe a little higher or more jauntily cocked over a bit just to make sure the processor doesn't get in the way. At least I do with a cowboy hat or a ball cap. 

I wonder, if you just bundled up the neck loop and put it in a chest pocket if it would work...maybe I'll try it later. 

17 hours ago, Travis said:

The Samba2Go is super handy for calls. I messed around not having it ON my neck and it still works but definitely not past arm's length. The microphone is in the Samba2Go as well so I'm not sure how well it would pick up your voice inside a hat. 😛

Keep in mind, you're gonna have to wear your hat maybe a little higher or more jauntily cocked over a bit just to make sure the processor doesn't get in the way. At least I do with a cowboy hat or a ball cap. 

That is a good point regarding the Mic. I suspect it may be a touch muffled and likely directionally oriented for picking up voice with the assumption that it's being worn on the neck. My hats are a bit softer and in the past I have sewn in a pocket/relief to allow the processor to sit in location, instead of being clamped by the headband. 

17 hours ago, Travis said:

I wonder, if you just bundled up the neck loop and put it in a chest pocket if it would work...maybe I'll try it later. 

I'd love to know if this works also. Thanks in advance for checking. 

4 hours ago, Davo said:

That is a good point regarding the Mic. I suspect it may be a touch muffled and likely directionally oriented for picking up voice with the assumption that it's being worn on the neck. My hats are a bit softer and in the past I have sewn in a pocket/relief to allow the processor to sit in location, instead of being clamped by the headband. 

I'd love to know if this works also. Thanks in advance for checking. 

Ok I tried it just now streaming music. It IS a pretty short range. Certainly no more than arm's length. Worst to best:

1) All the way in my jacket pocket - cut out completely 

2) Cable hanging out of the pocket - OK, but choppy

3) Laying on top of my head -great 👍

4) Around the neck - great 👍

Finally, I put the antenna in the band of a trucker hat (as they call this style of ball cap in the States) and it worked great (kinda slapdash but I figure it's sorta like what you want to do :p). Dunno how the mic bit would work out tho (too late to call anyone, I'm on night shift).

Btw the Samba2Go is great for phone calls but music is like...FM quality. Cuz I believe it is literally transmitted via FM lol. I always thought that was funny considering the sound quality is so natural in general just out and about, but I suppose the processor and the implant have a much better, higher quality link, especially being so close. 

PXL_20240311_073145154.thumb.jpg.864c561851a0f034cebb1682a6f4150d.jpg

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Ok I tried it just now streaming music. It IS a pretty short range. Certainly no more than arm's length. Worst to best:

1) All the way in my jacket pocket - cut out completely 

2) Cable hanging out of the pocket - OK, but choppy

3) Laying on top of my head -great 👍

4) Around the neck - great 👍

Finally, I put the antenna in the band of a trucker hat (as they call this style of ball cap in the States) and it worked great (kinda slapdash but I figure it's sorta like what you want to do :p). Dunno how the mic bit would work out tho (too late to call anyone, I'm on night shift).

Btw the Samba2Go is great for phone calls but music is like...FM quality. Cuz I believe it is literally transmitted via FM lol. I always thought that was funny considering the sound quality is so natural in general just out and about, but I suppose the processor and the implant have a much better, higher quality link, especially being so close. 

Travis your answers and help exploring all these aspects of use and the device is very much appreciated. Massive thanks. I'm not much of a cap man - they don't suit my head

I typically wear paperboy style hats like this https://au.brixton.com/products/hooligan-flat-cap-brown-khaki

There's a fair bit of room at the front of them that I plan on stowing/sewing a pouch into for the device. 

Shame about not having my range from the sound processor. One of the great aspects of the Osia and the True Wireless Bluetooth intermediary device was that I could clip it to something in a room and move about freely without it having to be on my body. I even had another of them that was attached to my phone case. 

Ah well - no point singing it's praises when I wasn't keen on the sound quality of the implant. 

Very excited for the new creative ways to make this work. Given that it's a magnetic induction connection, perhaps theres a way to amplify the signal for additional range. 

5 hours ago, Travis said:

The go is great for phone calls but music is like...FM quality. Cuz I believe it is literally transmitted via FM lol. I always thought that was funny considering the sound quality is so natural in general just out and about, but I suppose the processor and the implant have a much better, higher quality link, especially being 

Can someone from medel provide clarity of thr nature of the connection between a modern smartphone, the Samba 2 Go and Samba 2?

Using FM for music streaming seems unlikely given the magnetic induction antenna and the existence of Bluetooth. 

Possible to know what the bandwidth of transmission? 

@MED-EL Moderator

@Davo, thank you for tagging us. 

The SAMBA 2 GO uses the NFMI [Near-Field Magnetic Induction ] protocol.

You can connect the SAMBA 2 GO with Bluetooth wireless technology enabled phones (up to two), Bluetooth wireless technology enabled audio devices such as tablets, PCs, stereos and transmitters, standard line-in devices such as an audio device with a 3.5mm audio jack, and FM systems with an FM receiver.

The maximum operating distance for the SAMBA 2 GO and wireless audio devices is approximately 10 m (32 ft).

The input frequency is 50 to 60 Hz and the operating frequency is fc = 3.28 MHz.

We would recommend getting in touch with your local MED-EL representative who can clarify further these types of questions and meet with you directly. You can get in touch with your local MED-EL representative via this email: office@medel.com.au

Kind Regards

Thank you Mods for that info. 

I will be meeting with someone tomorrow (Diana Chan I believe). 

I finally made some time to write my thought's up  - which you can find in my original thread documenting my journey.
See the link above

• HearPeers Heroes

Your point is why I am so excited for the new BTLE 5.2 and AuraCast.  When this is prevalent in streaming devices and internal to our processors, we will benefit from the advanced technology.  I hope Med-El has a very strong and reliable BTLE 5.2 receiver built into all future processors and gives users full control over mix ratios.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

BTLE Audio that supports AuraCast