Do we really need to change Rondo 3 Covers?

Evren

The title says it all. Covers seem to be cleanable with a tiny brush. Do we really need to change them every 6 months? Did anyone actually notice a difference in sound quality after changing?

I'm not sure what a tiny brush would do to the filter. If I wasn't able to replace mine every 90 days I'd consider using canned air blown from the inside out. The quick guide says 3 months not 6.

• HearPeers Heroes

I notice a difference when changing the mic covers on Sonnet processors.  Med-El recommends changing them every 3 months or sooner if sound quality is impacted.  I change them every 2 months because by 3 months I notice that high frequency sounds are quieter.

14 hours ago, Anthony Canada said:

I'm not sure what a tiny brush would do to the filter. If I wasn't able to replace mine every 90 days I'd consider using canned air blown from the inside out. The quick guide says 3 months not 6.

Canned air might work as well. What I'm trying to say is the cover itself doesnt have a kind of filter like a HEPA filter on vacuum cleaners, I only see just couple of empty dots, if dust goes through might just sweep it out. Insurance doesn't pay for anything except the processor and changing every 3 months is not affordable for me and family.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Evren

hmmm the mic covers on the Sonnets have a thin black filter at the openings.

@Roy do your Rondo 3 mic covers have a thin black filter at the openings or are they just holes?

Here's what the inside of the Rondo 3 cover looks like:

IMG_3654.thumb.jpeg.0876cf42f86a631ed6a361590a3e61d9.jpeg

The recessed mics are protected by those two protruding rubber boots, which hold light gray filters. The filters are probably changeable, but since my processors came with several extra covers, I've so far simply changed covers.

In my typically casual way, I finally got around to doing this after using the processors for two years 🫢 I didn't notice any change in sound quality.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you @Roy

@Evren I agree the filters are expensive for what they are. I'm surprised Med-El doesn't use something similar to ITE hearing aid filters to keep the cost manageable. My concern about the brush is the potential penetration or displacement of the membrane filter.