Rondo 3 got a small crack. Should I be worried?

Radu Ciprian

22 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

I would not suggest attempting to repair the crack independently.  It most likely will void the warranty and may complicate any repair order under insurance.

Yes, Mary Beth is correct. It is best to seek first party repair under warranty or insurance coverage for out of warranty repair before trying this. Hopefully Med-El will accommodate Roy despite being out of warranty since this does seem self induced by the product.

@John Schulz Please be advised that we have removed your post with the image as it contained potentially harmful or misleading information. The image shared was from another audio processor, not RONDO 3. 

Please also keep in mind that any manipulation on the processor will immediately void the warranty. We strongly recommend contacting your local MED-EL representative for direct assistance if you discover any damage to your audio processor. You can get in touch with your local MED-EL representative via this contact form: https://www.medel.com/contact-med-el

Kind Regards,

Alicia 

• Thanks 1

I found it very interesting that the crack formation in Rondo 3 was on the side of the magnet lock area. I wonder if it causes cracking due to overheating while charging? I am curiously waiting for the source of this problem.

4 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

@John Schulz Please be advised that we have removed your post with the image as it contained potentially harmful or misleading information. The image shared was from another audio processor, not RONDO 3. 

Please also keep in mind that any manipulation on the processor will immediately void the warranty. We strongly recommend contacting your local MED-EL representative for direct assistance if you discover any damage to your audio processor. You can get in touch with your local MED-EL representative via this contact form: https://www.medel.com/contact-med-el

Kind Regards,

Alicia 

Whoops, that was the photo from the Samba 2 approved around the same time. My apologies. The root cause hypothesis still has merit because the transmission coil has components on it that may be heating up due to their close proximity to the Qi pad.

@Kerem Ozcan it could also be from over tightening the magnet when its locked into the receiving slot. If the o ring blocks where the two meet the extra force to make it close it probably more than the plastic casing can handle. 

11 hours ago, Anthony Canada said:

@Kerem Ozcan it could also be from over tightening the magnet when its locked into the receiving slot. If the o ring blocks where the two meet the extra force to make it close it probably more than the plastic casing can handle. 

This is what I’m wondering actually.  From various pics it seems to originate from the magnet area.  And from watching my Audi recently struggling to change a magnet on one side makes me curious if maybe they’re being over tightened or using too much force.

I’ve looked on both my Rondo 3s.  Besides some scratches I’ve no cracks but it’s hard to tell this late.  One is 4 1/2 years old, the other 1 1/2 years.

Then we are faced with two possibilities:
1- Cracking due to overheating during charging
2- Cracking due to excessive pressure during magnet replacement (this one seems more likely to me)

On the whole, I believe this is a serious issue to be adressed by MED-EL, and hopefully get fixed with the next gen Rondo.

• Members

I'm still on the default, magnet strength 3 so I don't think my Audi or I ever tried adjusting the magnet.