Desperate for Waterproofing

cmoose24

• HearPeers Heroes

Getting to normal - one step at a time. But, what is normal? Anyone read the Serendipity book, Leo the Lop? He wanted to be like other rabbits with ears that stood up! Great book!

• HearPeers Heroes

Dont forget our freind Darth Vader or did he only visit me?

More of a Dalek than Darth Vader for me.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys. somebody told me about a spray that could waterproof anything. you can watch the video here: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/21/neverwet-spray_n_3477178.html

don't you think we could spray our processors with it?? i don't really run to water or anything crazy like that but i would love to not worry so much about going outside and getting my processor wet from rain or something dripping from the ceiling.

there are also other sites that does the same thing:

what do you think??

• HearPeers Heroes

Zee, I have not seen the video but there are a couple of concerns doing that. one, you would void the warranty by doing that and if any moisture got in it, you would be resoonsible to pay out of pocket to replace. two) the space for the mic is open so if you were to spray it, you have the chance again of clogging up the mic and having to rplace the control unit. If you do completey seal it, That would be problematic for the disposable batteries in that they need air to work, This is whyu there is a sticker on the rop of them when you buy them. Once you pull the sticker off, they are ready to go.

In my humble opinion, i would not risk it. There are other ways to protect against moisture out there that work really well.

• HearPeers Heroes

As a person who live 32 years now with HA who could not be hide anywhere I have reasonable fear of getting wet - my boyfriend always ask all around plastic bag or something like that because he knows what could mean get wet my head, more precisely - HA.

But hey, I do not wish waterproofness for all cost - please do not do something what can damage your device. It is not worth of that.

Like small child learn how to cope with this circumstance - we grown up people also should. Something is not yet here. Somebody has to watch hair, somebody throat or anything else.

• 10 months later...

I have had my OPUS 2 for 5 years now and there is only one thing I don't like about it and it is a large problem - the total lack of waterproofing.

I am not talking about wearing the porcessor in a shower or swimming or even in the rain.

No - i am talking about everyday use in a hot climate such as the UK in summer (I dread to think what it would be like in an equatorial region).

The slightest sign of sweat for more than about ten minutes and the bare unshielded contacts of this processor are wet  - the opus 2 body joints are almost designed to facilitate capilary action in drawing water through the unsealed joint to the electrical contacts where due to the salt content of sweat they quickly start to corrode the contacts due to electolysis (think propellor gear on boats and sacrifical anodes!).

I simply cannot understand why MED-EL have not done something about this issue by now, full marks for implementation - poor marks for the packaging.

Most modern hearing aids are heavily waterproofed against sweat and condensation using double cases (as case within a case) so why haven't med-el done this?

Could it be that if they did - the processor would be bigger?

Please sort this problem out or you future toll of implantees may fall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well, now that's solved - at least for Rondo users.

Now, the rest of us, users are waiting for something similar... Keep us fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Looks like there will be waterproof cover for the new sonnet that is reusable. Looking forward to seeing one

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Really? From time to time - I use RONDO for BB but pretty soon my covers become soiled, somewhat sweated etc...

• HearPeers Heroes

That is what the literature says on the website Ivana. I guess we will see.

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

That is what the literature says on the website Ivana. I guess we will see.

Adam

Keeping our fingers crossed so Heaven Council  :rolleyes: - will hear us!  :D

• 1 year later...
On 13/06/2013 at 3:27 AM, cmoose24 said:

My name is Cristin Doty, my LO just turned 2 years old and she was implanted bilaterally with Med-El, March 30, 2012 at 9.5 months and uses bilateral opus 2 processors.  To date, we have been very pleased with Med-El and she is doing beautifully, but I am writing this today to plead with this company to address the waterproofing issue. My daughter just recently turned 2 and thinks she is 4 (ha!), she absolutely LOVES the water, but she is so independent (which I am thankful for) that it has become a safety issue at the pool and it is very difficult for us to go. When we are at the pool her processors obviously have to be removed (esp since we don't have a back up set) and it is so difficult on a number of levels to attend to her without her "sound." She not only is missing out on teaching moments both in the bathtub and the pool (ie swim lessons, stopping her from running towards the water without me), but socially, she is unable to interact with her little friends. She is just now starting to play "with" her friends, but when she is in the pool or sprinklers without her "sound" she is more of a loner and quite frankly it breaks my heart. I am begging for this issue to be addressed and am curious if there is anyone specific I should write a letter to, to plead my case. Does anybody know? What does everybody else think about this issue?

NeverWet Fabric Water Repellent Spray is the best to repel the water! See the video 

• HearPeers Heroes

Christin,

im sure it does break your heart as hearing loss can be quite isolating.

the good news is that medel has come out with water ware which allows the person to swim, run, exercicise and the processor will stay completely dry..

i havetried them out and they work great. I did not swim with them but wore them on some very difficult workouts in the middle of the summer. Needles to say I was soaked in sweat. I also basically tried to make it fall off, thinking it wouldnt hold well. It stayed put. Even with the processor in the waterwear sleeve, I could hear just as if it wasn't on. 

Contact your customer service rep and they can give you more details. 

I hope this helps,

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I have used them also. They work great. Make sure to use the right batteries LR44 alkaline batteries from med el as well.