Rondo Users

ChicagoIris

I would like to hear from Rondo users as to how the sound quality compares to an Opus 2 ----- same, better or worse.

• HearPeers Heroes

Iris I am not a Rondo user but there should be no difference in the sound as they use the same internal components and the same sound coding strategies.

The only difference is how it is packaged

Iris, Unlike my learned friend from the Palmetto State, I wear both bilateral RONDOs for every day use and OPUS 2 when exercising, can't wear a bicycle helmet with RONDOs! I think I hear better with the RONDOs but a quick test in a soundproof booth said I was incorrect. As Adam wrote it is the same internals, albeit in a different package. I think the RONDOs are more comfortable, particularly if you wear glasses. With perception being reality, I feel the RONDO has some great advantages, light weight, a one of a kind device and if you get implanted with a MedEl device this year you can get a free RONDO as well as two OPUS 2 BTE units. You cannot make an incorrect decision, as far as I am concerned! Happy choosing.

I am having my right ear CI surgery/follow-up at a '2-processor' center and chose 1 Rondo and 1 Opus 2.

I recently heard from my audi that I'm eligible to get the free Rondo too, in ADDITION to the others.  So I will end up with 3 processors for one ear - amazing!  What a great company MedEl is.

My surgery is one week from today; I'm so excited!  I bought one of those neck-pillows today, to use post-operatively when the head is tender.

Any other advice from those who've been there?

Phooey! I should've waited for another month and a half to be implanted. This is a great deal -- 3 processors for each ear!

Lisa, good luck on your upcoming implant surgery! You will be just fine and be sure to get plenty of rest post-op.

Thanks Sid; I plan to follow that advice.

Not knowing for sure how I'll feel made it hard to plan my return-to-work schedule but I'm planning on taking 1.5 weeks off and then returning at half-hours for one week.  I can increase to full-day sooner if I feel up to it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa take your time getting back to work. The person who encouraged me to get the CI advised taking a month off after surgery. He only took a week and said it wasn't long enough.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my initial query.

When I was implanted in November,  my audi held back one of the CIs to trade in for a Rondo when it became available.  I've been using the Rondo for about 2 months now.  Initally there was a problem with fall off but a #2 magnet more or less fixed that.  Then the attachment clip broke so I was scared to wear it until fixed which it now is.  After I had some reprogramming done last week, my audi said I have one more month to make a final decision whether to keep the Rondo.  The problem is the sound quality.  The Opus-2 is so much better but it seems like I am the only one having this problem.  I did not notice that much of a difference before it was reprogrammed but then,  I seldom used  because of the problems mentioned above.

Am I the only one saying the quality is inferior? I understand it is the same processor but there is a big difference in the sound.   I need to make a decision very soon  whether to swap it for another Opus-2; I would like to keep the Rondo but not with the quality it currently has.

Boy, that's a tough one, Iris!

If it were me I'd take full advantage of the remaining time by wearing it a lot and seeing my audi several more times to see if altering the mapping can improve it.

If I still felt the way you do when the time is up, I'd certainly go with another Opus2 instead of the Rondo.

PS: Sorry I inadvertently 'hijacked' your thread question!

Also, how much better are you hearing with your Opus2 than you were before CI surgery?

Iris,

I swapped the two Opii with my second implant for two RONDOs to try out. I do like the design concept of a self contained unit of the RONDO, but unfortunately the placement of my left implant didn't work well for that ear/side. The left was recently implanted with the Concert and it is positioned and minimally spaced perpendicular above the ear. This permit the RONDO to be too close and touches the top of my ear annoyingly. I've tried rotating the RONDO, but it keeps shifting back down due it being the heavier end. Also, with the RONDO placed directly to the side of my head it has a tendency to be easily get knocked or swiped off. The RONDO works great for my  implant (Sonata) on the right side which is up and back toward the rear of the head and is located more favorably. Unfortunately my implants are not positioned symmetrical on my head. Another disadvantage of the RONDO is that it doesn't fit well with headwears and I wear a hardhat at work, cycling helmets, and baseball caps -- otherwise I would have to switch processors every time I wear a cap or hat. .

As for if there is a difference in sound quality, there is no noticeable difference to me. I think the range of the microphone on the RONDO may receive sounds more from side of the head as the OPUS is more directional and forward. Perhaps you could discuss the sound quality with your audiologist before your trial period expires. It usually takes me some time to get the brain readjusted to the new programs.

Unfortunately, as much as I like to use the RONDO I will be returning them for the OPUS.

Good luck on relearning your new hearing!

Sid

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iris,

By now you made have made your decision, but thought I'd toss my experience in the mix ;-)  For the most part, my experience is the same as that of John Lee.  Tests say I hear slightly better with the Opus 2 in noise, but I don't notice that.  At first I noticed my voice is a little louder with the Opus 2, but that makes sense because the microphone is closer to my mouth.  I truly appreciate and am thankful for the RONDO as an option.  I do find the Opus 2 is easier to use with bluetooth/T-coil devices.  I'm getting better using my RONDO...I've learned to turn it a bit of an angle and it picks up the T-coil signal better.  Also, when I talk on the phone I turn the RONDO upside down b/c it's a more natural place where I'm use to holding my phone ;-0

I know it's kind of frustrating to have to choose, but isn't it sweet to have a choice??

Camille

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I think it really is a personal decision and perception really is reality. 10 different people might give you 10 different answers so if you have not made up your mind as of yet, the only advice I could really give is to try both in various situations and see which you prefer.

what I think is so cool about medel is that we have a number of different choices to choose from which the other implant companies cannot claim.

Hi Iris,  The RONDO, being the same components as the OPUS 2, only different packaging is meant to be an alternative to, not necessarily a replacement of an OPUS 2. How you use it or not is governed by personal choice and lifestyle. It is great that you are asking questions and receiving responses and I would like to read more from you.  thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Rondo exclusively since I was activated a month ago, and it's a mixed blessing. I like that it is convenient, and lacks some of the complexity of appearance of the Opus. It is self-adhering, i.e. as long as I get it in approximately the right place, it orients itself (it's ovoid, narrow end up) with the magnet centered. As a guy with medium length hair (think Harrison Ford), it has some adhesion problems: The first 2 weeks it would constantly fall off, even if I rubbed it under my hair, with a #3 batteries. Med-El has sent me a #4, which works fine. Additionally, I had my barber cut my hair very, very short (almost shaved) where the internal magnet connection is, which helps, and I'd encourage that for others. I'm not having sensitivity issues (I guess that means that, being a lawyer, I really AM thick-skinned!).

The "falling off" problem is a real one, though. The tiny hair-clip provided barely holds enough hair to slow down a falling Rondo, and sometimes fails totally. Mine falls off a lot, especially when putting on/taking off over-the-head clothing (tee shirts) or even raising my arms high to get into jackets sometimes.

I also wish that there was some customization that could be done. When I got my Opus, one box has this wonderful collection of casings that are all different colors. My Rondo, on the other hand, is all one boring beige color. The outer part of the case, I would think, could be different colors, which would make seeing it easier when it is off.

rusty

I've been using a Rondo exclusively since I was activated a month ago, and it's a mixed blessing. I like that it is convenient, and lacks some of the complexity of appearance of the Opus. It is self-adhering, i.e. as long as I get it in approximately the right place, it orients itself (it's ovoid, narrow end up) with the magnet centered. As a guy with medium length hair (think Harrison Ford), it has some adhesion problems: The first 2 weeks it would constantly fall off, even if I rubbed it under my hair, with a #3 batteries. Med-El has sent me a #4, which works fine. Additionally, I had my barber cut my hair very, very short (almost shaved) where the internal magnet connection is, which helps, and I'd encourage that for others. I'm not having sensitivity issues (I guess that means that, being a lawyer, I really AM thick-skinned!).

The "falling off" problem is a real one, though. The tiny hair-clip provided barely holds enough hair to slow down a falling Rondo, and sometimes fails totally. Mine falls off a lot, especially when putting on/taking off over-the-head clothing (tee shirts) or even raising my arms high to get into jackets sometimes.

I also wish that there was some customization that could be done. When I got my Opus, one box has this wonderful collection of casings that are all different colors. My Rondo, on the other hand, is all one boring beige color. The outer part of the case, I would think, could be different colors, which would make seeing it easier when it is off.

rusty

Rusty, several suggestions for Russ Boltz v RONDO, in the Superior Court of Public Forums.  May it pray the court that the defendant RONDO, is defended by counsel pro se , however as he has been struck dumb, I am filing an amicus curiae brief. As you are already using magnet strength 4, try using the other supplied tether which can attach to glasses, if present or attached to clothing. I have learned through experience that it is helpful to remove the defendant from the head when attempting to change clothing or performing other like minded tasks. You should have been offered the chance to order your color, white, beige, black or anthracite. you are correct that beige s boring but perhaps you could get some fingernail polish or decals to liven up the defendants meh color scheme.

PLease file a written response at your earliest convenience electronically as this court no longer accepts hand filed briefs.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have very thick hair and have had no problem with magnet #3. The tiny hair clip has been fine and I have only had the rondo fall off once. This taught me to make sure I took it off before changing clothes. The clip usually saves it from falling off.

Well, John, the only tether I received was a monofilament about 3 inches long, which is too short to connect to my glasses, which is just as well, as I remove them every now and then. Since the Rondo is very light, it's easy to forget it's there, and that would just pull it off again. I also brush my hair with my hand fairly frequently, as I think about things, and that dislodges the Rondo often too.  As for colors, my audiologist offered me all the colors you mention, and beige was no less boring  than any of the others. It's obvious that the Rondo is designed to be unobstrusive, which is OK, but I still think there could be some options for the outer panel.

As for clothing, I'm having the same issue when I remove a tee shirt and some other clothes. The padded cover is a blessing (so far), but I wish the clip was a little large, with more teeth. My hair isn't very long at that part of my temples - less than an inch - and thinning a bit, so the small clip doesn't catch as much hair as it might in longer hair.

And as for magnets, I think much has to do with how thick the skin is, literally, over the implanted plate. Magnet #2 is useless to me, and #3 was borderline useless. This is clearly an individual thing in that respect.

r

• HearPeers Heroes

Russ you might want to ask your Med-el contact about the clip. My kit came with 2 clips. One small and one large.

Russ,  you should have also received this clip, the one that Lisa describes. If not, call your clinic immediately or call your MedEl CSR, or both.  thanks

post-277-14302598855725_thumb.jpg

Rusty - good to see you on HearPeers!  I have to use the #1 magnet with my RONDO.  I started with the 2, but after a week I was suffering irritation and pain.  Given that, the clip to my hair is really important.  And like John says, I've learned to take my RONDO off before I pull any clothing over my head.

• 3 months later...

I was implanted in 2010.  Updated to the xsmall processor and then last month paid the 4K something to update to the new Rondo.  Was so excited because the processor Opius doesn't sit well behind my ear.  I think having nothing behind the ear would be great.  Well...the processor/device was mailed to me after being mapped at the audiologist (I live more than 3 hrs from center) to specifications of my present Opius.  The sound is not as clear or precise.  After wearing it once, I ended up with nausea and headache that lingered for days.  Too scared to even try it again.  It's like the feeling you have if you have ever wore eyeglasses or contacts that were not the right prescription.  Since it was mapped to my Opius (a few months ago i had a mapping of that) there is no reason why I would have that feeling...plus...the magnet is only the next to lowest setting so it's not that.  Nonetheless, I am sending it back to Medel and expecting the 4K amount back..next week.  Customer service is great but I am wondering why this device was so untolerable.

post-745-14302598870561_thumb.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Dinah, i would touch base with your audi as I have not had one person say that about wearing the rondo. Hopefully John will chime in soon as he wears two of them almost exclusively and can probably give you some tips. Maybe it is not oriented on your head correctly. I will let those in the know comment. I am sorry you are having challenges. I'm sure the brain-trust here can get it figured out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Dinah, I am sorry to hear that you have had such a bad experience with the Rondo. Do you think it could be that you did not have an actual physical mapping and the assumption was that it was the same as the Opus? I have had several mappings and have always been an active participant. Could it be something that you are allergic to? Just a couple of thoughts. Perhaps someone here on the site has had a similar experience they could share to help you.