I think I mentioned this before

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow it totally blows me away to think of how many people have absolutely no clue what a CI is. I was in my neurosurgeons office on Friday to get my staples out and in walks a lady to take out my staples. You could just tell that she was not a nurse. was in scrubs, I assume part of the Neuro team and she asked what are those and pointed to my processors.

I am sitting there thinking to myself, I am in one of the best hospitals in the U.S. and a person in the neurosurgery dept. just asked what my processors were!?!?!?! That reminded me that we need to do a much better job in educating the public of this type of technology. just mind blowing. OK everyone back to your normal routine.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Heh... Adam - can I surprise you with the fact that lot of my colleagues do not understand how I use my hearing aid?

Headband? And how does it function?

So - that woman who most probably does not have much relation with medicine possibly know just the field of her work. And that's it.

But yes - actions is always welcome. People are not obliged to know for all kind of HA - just to know: there is a solution.

Adam, you shouldn't be too surprised. We are probably the exception, not the norm. by that I mean, we questioned the need to remain deaf and actively sought options. Curiosity is a good thing qnd with no curiosity, the status quo is upheld. Just think of what your inital reaction was when told you will be deaf for ever and ever!!! I am guessing that you researched your options and with Lori and consultations with medical professionals decided to take that leap of faith into the CI world. I tried for 5 years at another clinic before being told that I qualified for a CI. Ivana did her research and fought to get her implant. Why, i'm guessing because the alternative was not in her game plan. As CI users we have to be advocates, the difference is in the tenor and intensity of the advocacy.

We are passionate about the options that our implants have given us.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, you shouldn't be too surprised. We are probably the exception, not the norm. by that I mean, we questioned the need to remain deaf and actively sought options. Curiosity is a good thing qnd with no curiosity, the status quo is upheld. Just think of what your inital reaction was when told you will be deaf for ever and ever!!! I am guessing that you researched your options and with Lori and consultations with medical professionals decided to take that leap of faith into the CI world. I tried for 5 years at another clinic before being told that I qualified for a CI. Ivana did her research and fought to get her implant. Why, i'm guessing because the alternative was not in her game plan. As CI users we have to be advocates, the difference is in the tenor and intensity of the advocacy. We are passionate about the options that our implants have given us.

Thumb up - John! Wink

There is one Croatian poet which I liked a lot and often quote him - Antun Branko Simic:

"Poets are wonder in the world,

they set a foot all over the Globe and their eyes

big and silent grows besides things

By leaning the ear

on silence which surrounds them and bother

poets are eternal blinking in the world."

• HearPeers Heroes

john i by natyre tend to do a bunch of research on anything im looking into. i actually got very interested in american sign language when our youngest son was a baby. he developed speech very late so his therapist suggested we teach him sign language as he learned to speak the words, he would drop the sign. i thought it was such a cool language that i continued to study it. this led me into learning all about deaf culture and the origins of asl. i also volunteered at the local deaf communitycenter. all this and i had perfect gearing. i knew about ci's years ago. nevwr knowing then that i would be in a position to need them one day

• HearPeers Heroes

john i by natyre tend to do a bunch of research on anything im looking into. i actually got very interested in american sign language when our youngest son was a baby. he developed speech very late so his therapist suggested we teach him sign language as he learned to speak the words, he would drop the sign. i thought it was such a cool language that i continued to study it. this led me into learning all about deaf culture and the origins of asl. i also volunteered at the local deaf communitycenter. all this and i had perfect gearing. i knew about ci's years ago. nevwr knowing then that i would be in a position to need them one day

This is because you are curious by nature, Adam.

Not all people are like that. Instead of that they choose desperation or - wondering. Pity, however.

• HearPeers Heroes

I would have to say you are right. I have already learned a bunch about TCS.Laughing I feel that if i am going to get involved in something, I am going in 100%

• HearPeers Heroes

I would have to say you are right. I have already learned a bunch about TCS.Laughing I feel that if i am going to get involved in something, I am going in 100%

The only way which is right - is that.

- "The world is just right like we`ve done it on our own. Isn't it?" - a scene from one western movie (not old however) where spectator can see a brilliant woman-bartender. Fast look behind the scene and you see she is lower than bar-board but she has a mechanism which helps her not just to overcome her shortness than to be efficient as best bartenders can be.

Thumb up Adam!

• 2 years later...

I have WANTED a CI since the first time I read about one... when they were first really only given to those BORN deaf. I always said (was recently HoH at the time) if I ever get so bad I really would go for that! So yes it surprises me how little is known about CIs in general. I mean just as a 'general knowledge' kind of thing I keep expecting folks to know what I'm on about. I suppose I''m doing my bit in their education :) and I love showing folks 'now I can hear... now I'm deaf' by lifting my Rondo a fraction above it's magnet. I still have friends that find my implant creepy and won't touch it hahaha

• HearPeers Heroes

Caroline,

I guess I expect to have to explain my CIs to people. One time someone said, I know someone who has one, and I was floored. Most times, people are curious about them and I am delighted to explain how they work.

• HearPeers Heroes

Somebody walked up to me just this weekend and asked those things on my head. :D

I posted somewhere here on the forum a video called man on the street. He walked around some Ivy League universities plus asked people on the street if they knew what a cochlear implant was and what part of the body did the person think it would be placed. Pretty funny video and real eye opener to how little people actually know about them

• HearPeers Heroes

I just reminded myself to Adam`s video...:)

However... CI was and is great discovery - the only way that is possible to restore even artificially one sense. At the same time, this device is glorious - it is at certain perspective frightening device. We have to watch it through all perspectives - this was even foundation of certain professionals assurance that it can not function. Very serious statements of very serious people. Unfortunately, each invention or idea have to proceed through its birth pain. At certain moment, early 70-ties - lots of cochlear implantation programs was shut off because of lot issues: from technological stand-point to rehabilitation. Also, science did not know much about the process of neuroplasticity.

All these factors influenced that even medical science set a conservative way of behavior regarding cochlear implants. 

Also, you have to get into mind of doctors - you have to be very cautious regarding any procedure let alone something groundbreaking like the CI. You have to be cautious regarding your patients - then patients reflects the mood of their docs and audiologists. It is a complex chain of reaction for which you need a certain amount of time. And - I didn`t mention fatalists at that path at all.

At the end, certain amount of well-rehabilitated patients had to step out to show their results.

Time, time, time... as for a Grand Canyon as well as for each process let alone those which affects people`s lives. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Your right Ivana. I know here in the U.S. The criteria to get a CI was VERY strict early on. As the technology improved and rehab was fine tuned, the criteria finally started to be relaxed.

The early processors were also cumbersome As the were body worn. They have come a looooong way

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, it's not just snow which behave in the manner of avalanche. :)

In Croatia cochlear implantations started for the first time back in 1996., but for a real when state stood behind patients it was winter of 1999/2000.

It was groundbreaking moment - whole country (which has cca 4,5 milion people) gathered into one massive non-governmental initiative and forced state insurance company to, finally, start with implantations. :)

This is part of Croatian, not so far, history in a way that we can say today that cochlear implant form foundations of modern history by developing civil awareness for a good cause. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Absolutely Ivana. You live in a good country.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

More like - good, heart full of good vibes :)

Here are few links, unfortunately there are no recent and better edited photos than fractions. :(

1. http://www.deaf.50megs.com/broj_5/br_5_str_08.htm
  2. http://www.hrt.hr/arhiv/2001/12/15/HRT0001.html
  3. http://www.hrt.hr/arhiv/2001/12/08/HRT0022.html

• HearPeers Heroes

Where is google translator when you need it?!

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow, amazing, I don't need Googlе translator. I can understand that articles without translation!!!! Have never seen or heard Croatian. Ivana mozet razumet' menya!

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course I got this as Google translator is always with us. Just felt curious and wanted to see how Croatian looks - and it looks very familiar for me :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow, amazing, I don't need Googlе translator. I can understand that articles without translation!!!! Have never seen or heard Croatian. Ivana mozet razumet' menya!

Yes, I can! :) - Da - mogu razumjeti. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course I got this as Google translator is always with us. Just felt curious and wanted to see how Croatian looks - and it looks very familiar for me :)

Of course - Slavic group of languages. :)