Would you be interested in a direct to Sonnet/Rondo streaming?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Now that Cochlear has the N7 and app that allows direct to processor streaming from Apple iOS devices, I am wondering if you would be interested in a direct to Sonnet/Rondo streaming option even if it only worked with Apple iOS devices?

I would love it!  But we are an Apple household so it would work easily for me.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I would love to have that streaming capability when I get my CI but I hope they allow for iPhone and Android! Not everyone can afford Apple products.  

• HearPeers Heroes

I understand @Jewel.  AB is introducing direct to Apple and Android phones BUT it is only for phone calls.  It doesn’t work streaming music nor other audio from the same phones.

Maybe Med-El will be first to offer direct streaming of phone calls, music, audiobooks from both Apple and Android phones!  That would be exciting and would get a lot of attention as everyone keeps talking about connectivity.

• HearPeers Heroes

That would certainly be awesome @Mary Beth. Seems like competition is fierce. It's a good thing.... It forces all the CI manufacturers to keep improving the product. Med-El can't afford to be left behind. 

I also hope that Med-El will offer mappings that you can do at home. I think I read that Cochlear rolled out something like that recently. Sure would make life easier for me :)

• HearPeers Heroes

There are studies about remote MAPpings....even for very rural areas in the US.  The studies I have read have CI users go to a local center and then that center uses remote means to connect with a CI audiologist at a CI center to MAP.

This can be helpful for many people.  (Definitely you!)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Beth. Should be an interesting week. The MED-EL rep is gonna meet with me on this trip too. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes!!! This was one of the things I asked for in our video we made for Med El ? it would make phone calls so much better and of course streaming music. Would love to have this in the near future!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel  That is great.  Which Med-El rep?

@Megan L.  I REALLY would love direct streaming for all audio from Apple iOS devices!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I would love that too! It would make things so much easier and less equipment to carry!!! Plus everything would sound better ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I am all for it, providing phone calls and streaming is available. Much less to carry and configure!!

• HearPeers Heroes

It's Interesting. Perhaps any day will be avaliable for Android.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Beth it has been a very hectic two days! I first met with a consumer outreach program manager from MedEl yesterday. She explained everything so clearly I was sold on Med-El. Of course I was already sold on Med-El prior to coming to the US ?. I have done all the relevant tests and CI evaluation. I am to meet with Dr. Eshraghi again tomorrow so that he can look at my CT scan. Hopefully he won't require more tests. 

I tried on the Sonnet and was amazed at how light it was. Wonder if the weight will be significantly different once batteries are put in. 

Today during the CI evaluation they showed me all three brands of CIs. Although I'm leaning towards Med-El I was a bit disappointed to hear that I may not be given 5 year warranty on the CI since I don't live in the US. I'm not sure whether that would be the case with the other brands. The CI audiologist is to get back to me on the warranty. 

I was told that after checking with MED-EL this afternoon during my appointment, they don't expect Rondo2 to be released in the US anytime soon. They checked because I told them I would rather wait and get the Rondo 2. 

They confirmed that they are a 2 processor facility. So that's good news. 

I also found out that if I get the Roger pen there is no need for me to put a Roger bottom into the external processor. I was told that the Sonnet as is connects to the pen. So that was good news to me. 

I saw some CI recipients in the waiting room today. They all looked so serious that I didn't approach them. I suppose given the fact that Jamaica is a small country and has warm weather year round we are a very approachable people. Hopefully I will see some pleasant ones tomorrow and I will feel comfortable approaching them. I sure would love to hear in person others' experiences especially since they use the CI center I have chosen. 

Finally I was very happy to learn that I can fly back to Jamaica one week after surgery. So said Dr Eshragi. 

I think I'm in information overload right now. 

BTW when I did the test today with two hearing aids it sounded very loud and then I was told that with a CI it will be even louder! I was wondering how long it takes to adjust to those loud sounds. When people talked it sounded like someone was hitting me and I felt like I was on a boat for a part of the conversation. I'm hoping I will be able to manage the CI!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Very very busy days @Jewel.  I am sure you are on information overload!

The Sonnet comes with a Roger 21 receiver which has a Roger X (02) receiver built into the Sonnet’s battery door.  So there is no longer a need to plug in a Roger X (02) receiver.  Just use the Roger 21 receiver that looks like a Sonnet battery door.

There has always been a delay between FDA approval and Med-El releasing items in the US.  I am sure it takes time to get everything ready for release and train all of our clinical audiologists on the new items.  Rondo 2 has not received FDA approval yet so I do not expect to see Rondo 2 in the US soon.  First FDA approval, then Med-El announcing an approximate availability date and finally the actual availability.  That is how things have gone since I have been implanted.  

I do not know how Med-El’s warranty works when you are implanted in a different country than you reside in.  I will be learning that from you!  I hope the warranty works for you.

I am glad it is a two processor center.  Would you choose two Sonnets or one Sonnet and one Rondo or two Rondos?

I guess I may look serious while waiting in a waiting room too but I would be happy to talk with someone if they approached me.  Maybe a staff member at the CI center can introduce you to someone tomorrow?

Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the explanation @Mary Beth. I asked the audiologist whether it was a Roger 21 and she kept insisting that the new Sonnet has the Roger in the battery pack part (what I'm calling the bottom) so I don't need to change the bottom at any time to use the Roger pen. So idk.

I am leaning towards one of each. I was thinking of getting two sonnets now and then when the Rondo2 is released I would buy it but when she told me that it may cost $10,000 I decided that may not be the best option. Remember I'm self pay. 

I am meeting Dr Eshragi at a different Uhealth  facility tomorrow. Hopefully, he has CI patients there when I go and I will just go over and say "Hi" and then begin my inquisition! Lol! 

I was surprised to learn that the Kanso has two mics but the Rondo only has one. I'm surprised that Med-El didn't put two mics on the Rondo2.

Btw they told me I don't need a Quatro or Artone. According to them all I need is the Roger MyLink which I would use along with the pen. Anyone agree? 

They also mentioned that there is a Bluetooth headset that can be plugged into landline phones. Anybody know of any that I can look up online? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Here is a link to the Sonnet 21 receiver.  It is considered an integrated Roger receiver because of the seamless way it works with the Sonnet.  It is a special battery cover that acts both as a battery cover and has a Roger receiver built into it.  

https://www.connevans.info/image/connevans/roger_21_datasheet.pdf

With the Roger Pen and the Roger 21 battery door/integrated receiver on your Sonnet, you can connect via BT to your cell phone for phone calls only.  If you want to stream music, etc you will need to attach the Roger Pen to the phone with the Roger Pen mini cable.  The Roger Pen charging dock can be connected to most TVs too.  Check out our Roger topic for lots of helpful info.

@Nikki recently got the Roger Pen and Roger 21 receiver and may be able to add more useful info.

• HearPeers Heroes

Roger MyLink is a separate Roger neckloop receiver.  You can use the Roger MyLink with the Roger Pen BUT your Sonnet or Rondo would need to be on MT or T.  

I am not sure what would happen if you had synced the Roger Pen to the Sonnet Roger 21 receiver and then needed to sync it to the Roger MyLink receiver.  That may be a pain.  Would this be something you wanted for when you used the Rondo?  or a way to get 100/0 mix with Roger and the Sonnet?

The Roger MyLink is much heavier and larger than the Artone 3 MAX.  I prefer the Artone for streaming music, audiobooks, etc.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I think they mentioned the Roger MyLink because the Rondo has no Roger connectivity on its own.