EAS Cochlear

Laurie

Hello. Just reaching out to see if there is anyone else living with a EAS Cochlear. I am a recent recipient (March 2018). Not what I expected, having difficulties adjusting. I understand everyone is different, just wondering if this is the “norm” and it could take months before I am comfortable. What is anyone else experiencing? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Laurie

Hopefully other Sonnet EAS users will join in soon.

Since a Sonnet EAS is a CI, learning to hear takes time and practice.  Aural rehab will be your friend and will speed up how long it takes for you to function well with your CI.  Check out our topic on aural rehab for lots of suggestions, apps and links.

You are in your early weeks.  A lot changes in those early weeks and months.

What does everything sound like for you now?  When I started out everything sounded like static, beeps, marimba and whale song!  Smile.  It gets better.  I worked on aural rehab every day.  It really helped me a lot!

Thank you. I had a one week, two weeks, one-month mapping appointment and now have to wait for the 3-month appointment. I asked for another appointment before then and was told there were none available. That is basically my aural rehab I guess. 

My hearing aid is hard plastic and my ear is very sore, painful even after a little more than 2 hours of wearing. The behind the earpiece becomes very sore to wear after a few more hours.  I previously wore hearing aids ( up until 3 years before implant as they were not doing anything for me anymore). These hearing aids were a soft tip. I inquired about the hearing aid portion of the EAS changed to soft tip but was told it would not work. I hear a "white noise". This white noise or static sometimes overrides what I am supposed to hear.  I have a ringing in my ears when I wear the implant when I eat, yawn or when my back teeth touch. When I am sleeping and lay on the side of the implant the ringing wakes me up.  I joined this blog to find out is other are experiencing this and if this goes away in time.  I know hear pitches that I didn't hear before, but what I hear sounds the same. RIght now I cannot distinguish if it is a bird or something else. WIll my brain eventually learn the difference? Answers to these questions are helpful with learning to be patient and know that it does get better with an approximate timeline.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Laurie

Our appointments with our CI audiologists are important, but they are not our aural rehab.  Aural rehab is the practicing or training we do to help our brains connect meaning to the sounds we are now hearing.  If you look at our aural rehab topic, you will see many things we have each used to help train our brains.  I practiced aural rehab activities for several hours every night.  It helped a lot.

I am sorry that wearing your Sonnet EAS is not comfortable for you right now.  Some people have used thin moleskin at first to make things more comfortable.  It sounds like you are experiencing discomfort with your EAS earmold as well as your processor sitting on your ear.  Are you able to email your audiologist and ask for suggestions to make wearing your Sonnet EAS more comfortable?  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Laurie,  I have an EAS CI on my left side. My earmold is made from sturdier plastic compare to a HA tip I had before implantation, but I have never felt any discomfort from this piece. Actually, my HA tip caused more discomfort to me than the EAS earmold. It is why I had some concern before deciding on EAS. I was not sure if I can tolerate a much bigger earmold. My audiologist told me that If it is uncomfortable, it can be adjusted to the different shape in smaller modification. 

Regarding all other your concern, I think it is pretty common things for some CI users at the early stages of rehabilitation regardless if it is just CI or EAS CI. Like Mary Beth said, your close work with your Audiologist and efforts in rehab along with patience and positive attitude will bring good result over some period of time. Please, report all things that concern or confuse you, everything that make your feel uncomfortable. It helps our audiologists a lot to understand our issues to find the right fix.  My best regards to you!