BB surgery 2 weeks ago

jairotwingonzalez

• HearPeers Heroes

yes please let us know how you are doing!!

Adam

Aurélie, chouette, même super chouette! Bonne chance! Photos s'il vous plaît! I am sure you will do very well.

Hi everybody,

So, it's done ! There was no problem during the surgical operation. But after, I have had dizziness, so I staid at hospital until the next day. Now, I'm tired, and I've also pain all around the ear. I was afraid yesterday, because my head was deform until the jaw. Today, it's better.

I can't send pictures, because I have a dressing. The surgeon don't cut my hair, so I think the scar is not so big.

I hope the pain will go back quickly, because I can't sleep a lot.

I'll see the surgeon next week, and must stay at home without working 8 days. The activation will be the 8th november.

Bye-bye and thank you for your help !

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Aurelie,

Excellent! Just rest as much as you can - take pain-relief tablets as much as you need. You do not need to feel pain.

My bandage was remove3rd day postoperatively but i Haven't had any swelling.

Ask whatever you need to - your dizziness was most probably because of anastesia not vestibular.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Aurelie,

Excellent! Just rest as much as you can - take pain-relief tablets as much as you need. You do not need to feel pain.

My bandage was remove3rd day postoperatively but i Haven't had any swelling.

Ask whatever you need to - your dizziness was most probably because of anastesia not vestibular.

Aurelie, it's great to hear that everything went well, and that no hair was harmed during the procedure. CoolSmile

• HearPeers Heroes

Aurelie, I'm glad everything went well. You can now look forward to activation. Rest and take care of yourself.

Good morning,

Here are pictures of my scar at Day+4. I have still pain (just a little less), and not a lot of energy.

Best regards.

post-4304-14302598866795_thumb.jpg

post-4304-14302598866916_thumb.jpg

Aurrelie Hi

Thank´s for sharing pics.  Like Thomas from Germany the cut is very close to the outher ear.

Have you seen my cut? It´s in somewere  BB thread........  

Yes I had trouble sleeping the first 3-4 nights because i like to sleep on my side, right or left. And could only sleep on my right, so....

The night at the hospital I had to take a morfin injection to sleep. The painkillers didn´t work to well.

Now wait 6 weeks or what, to get the reciver in gear.?

/Fredrik

Hello Fredrik,

Yes, I've seen your pictures, and you don't have the same implantation. You know why ? I've seen some other people in this forum have the same like me.

For me, it's also more difficult to sleep now, because I've a lumbago. I hope I should soon sleep on my ear implanted.

Aurélie

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Fredrik,

Yes, I've seen your pictures, and you don't have the same implantation. You know why ? I've seen some other people in this forum have the same like me.

For me, it's also more difficult to sleep now, because I've a lumbago. I hope I should soon sleep on my ear implanted.

Aurélie

Hi Aurelie,

Mine cut is a lot more like yours and Michael's - just a little bit further, it follows my hair line.

I was lucky - my implantation side is on left and I like to sleep on my right side. Laughing

Regarding the pain, I really didn't feel anything... But this will change....Wink

Aurélie, merci beaucoup pure les photos. Now no one will believe that you had surgery par ce que la circatrice est is petite! Sorry about the lumbago. Maybe some gros rouge or blanc might help? John

Hi Ivana and John,

Thanks for your opinion.

For John, unfortunally, the "gros rouge ou blanc" can't help me, because it's forbidden with tablets !Sealed But each day, the pain is less important, so I'm little better today.

Aurélie

• 10 months later...

Good morning! Had my Bonebridge implanted (19th BB in canada!) on August 7th @ Sunnybrook in Toronto.  Great surgical team (Dr's Chen and Hilly), minimal post-op discomfort, everything's healing very well and I am greatly excited for September 25th, when I go for my Amade fitting and implant activation! Like Tom Petty said, "The way-ay-ting is the haaaaardest part!"

I'm also quite excited reading about other recipients and their experience with the BB+Amade.

A bit about me. I'm 44, and have suffered from SSD since 2006 (long story. short version is, don't fly to New Jersey and contract food poisoning from Olive Garden when you have an ear infection).  BTE hearing aids were less than ideal for me, as i experienced significant discomfort and irritation from the molded earpiece, so I started looking at options such as the BAHA, Cochlear, etc.  It was my fiancee (now wife as of 4 months ago) who first heard about Bonebridge, via a segment on our local news.  The piece was about a woman who had very similar hearing loss to mine, and her experience with the Bonebridge surgery.  It was very early in the Bonebridge program at Sunnybrook, so they hadn't done very many (although Drs Chen and Hilly have performed many many implant surgeries between them), so they visited her in same-day recovery with an Amade, just to give her an idea of what she could expect.  The look of unfiltered joy on her face as she experienced hearing in that ear for the first time in years made me turn to my wife and say "I want that!".

18 months later, the paperwork was all done, the assessments, the audiograms, the referrals, etc etc, and I woke up in recovery, asking every nurse who walked by "How YOU doin'?" while my wife sat beside my bed rolling her eyes and smacking me in the arm.  I'm glad nothing said while under the influence of general sedation can be held against me! :-D

So, looking forward to reading stories from all of my fellow cyborgs, and I'll be sure to post about my own experiences going forward!

Rob

Rob, way to go! Great news for you. Sorry about you being in NJ and having to eat at Olive Garden. Look forward to reading your posts.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Rob,

one BB recipient on the other side, and literally on the other side of the Globe ;)

Living in tiny European country just behind Italy :)

Being BB recipient now approximately 13 months and it has changed my life totally upside down. My hearing loss is little bit different than yours, congenitally severe conductive type because of the congenital malformation of the middle and outer ear structures. But, enough about myself.

Taking into account a lot of people with whom I have possibility to speak - few stay many of them passes by, I realised that the BB group of recipients is almost the most diverse within hearing loss collection of people. We are collection of congenital's, chronic middle ear's, SSD etc...

Some recipients with SSD opted for CI. Profesional literature for now did not make final decision what would be the best for SSD because there are lots of hearing implants and health today is expensive so - there is opportunity of each and everyone of us to select what we can afford to ourselves. Of course, type and severity of surgery is very different. Blessing and curse of modern medicine in the same moment... :)

Well, hoping you will get your Amade at least in your mind faster (don't think about it so much, although yeah - like I was not nervous :D

And please - come back to us and write about your experience....:)

• 4 weeks later...

Post-activation follow-up!

Went for my activation appointment on Thursday (Sept 25), only to discover that even the #5 magnet won't keep the Amade on my noggin!

Very disappointed.  I now have a consult with the audiologist and the surgeon(s) on Oct 8th to see whether there's anything that can be done without opening up my head again.

Wow a number 5 isn't strong enough, that seems so crazy to me as I only use a number 2.

Can med-el not just make an even stronger magnet for you?

Post-activation follow-up!

Went for my activation appointment on Thursday (Sept 25), only to discover that even the #5 magnet won't keep the Amade on my noggin!

Very disappointed.  I now have a consult with the audiologist and the surgeon(s) on Oct 8th to see whether there's anything that can be done without opening up my head again.

Hi!

I use magnet n:o 5 ,  N:o 4 wasn´t strong enough.  If you have very thick skin, there might be an issue. Good luck

/Fredrik

• 1 month later...

@Sophie & @Fredrik

So, had the consult with Dr Chen and the audiologist.  I will be having another procedure on December 9th to open up a smaller flap immediately over the contact pad so they can thin that flap some more.

I did ask about possibly getting a custom-strength magnet (i even brought in a couple examples of high-strength rare earth magnets about the same physical size).  The concern there is skin necrosis from being compressed between the magnets.

I'm hopeful that the supplementary procedure (to be performed under local anaesthetic and mild sedation, yay no breathing tube!) will work, otherwise we'll have to continue exploring other options (layered hair thinning, or even possibly just shaving that spot and going for direct skin contact...)

On the plus side, when we simply held the EAP in place and put an earplug in my good ear, the result (even with just basic out-of-the-box program) were amazing! Can't wait to have it properly tuned and adjusted.

Hi. That's good news, I'm glad something can be done :) when's your operation?

Soph :)

• 5 months later...

hi Sophie.  The follow-up "flap adjustment" surgery was performed December 7th.  Went well, sedation is weird compared to general anaesthesia. One minute i was drifting along wondering when things would start happening, and then they were all "let's get you into recovery!".

Went for the follow-up Amade fitting on Jan 21, and had marginally better adhesion than before, but still very weak.  The Audiologist and Dr were thinking residual swelling, so we pushed activation back another three weeks.

Mid February, it was again marginally improved, but we decided we'd let Ken do the basic programs, i'd wear it as much as possible, and then have a followup at the end of march.

By the time my 6week programming adjustment rolled around at the end of march, I have no trouble with adhesion now. it's a little weak in the morning, but usually within an hour or two, the connection is quite strong, though I still keep it tethered to the arm of my glasses, just in case. Already broke the tether once, but my wife just broke out her jeweller's tools and some monofilament and fixed it for me with a slightly longer tether.

Sound quality is good.  Programming update brought up the higher end, plus a general increase in amplification across the spectrum. The speech sound recognition tests were quite good, according to the audiologist.  I have definitely noticed an improvement in my day-to-day life. I have to ask people to repeat themselves much less often, small sharp sounds are clearer, and i have some sense of sound source localization on the BB side.

Also, I flew to Colorado at the end of January, and the implant didn't set off the metal detectors OR the full body imaging scanner at the airports!

Next programming update in September.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Yay! Excellent news Rob!

It's very important that you are (even now) satisfied by accomplished) it will be just better...:)