Songs

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

I was just reading @Mary Beth's suggestion that @Kara of Canada listen to I Heard It Through The Grapevine (presumably Marvin Gaye, not CCR?) and it occurred to me that we might have fun with a song thread.  What song was the first that you heard well with your CI?  Mine was "Things Have Changed" by Bob Dylan.  But a friend's first clear CI song was Fogarty's "Centerfield" and a couple of weeks ago I heard that one too, clear and wonderful.  It was like an anthem. 

The sun came out today!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hmmmmm not sure what was the first clear song but I definitely know that the Grammy 2016 album was the first album that I learned the words to just by listening!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I was thinking of the Marvin Gaye version. Smile.  The true stereo effects start right at the beginning.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

The Rose. Bette Midler. Was one of my first. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting, @Kara of Canada - I had much more difficulty with high-pitched women's voices.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting, @Kara of Canada - I had much more difficulty with high-pitched women's voices.

• HearPeers Heroes

Then I had to listen to songs about four or five times before they made any sense. With the lyrics as well. I would listen repeatedly. It can be very tricky. But if you want it bad enough it can happen. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with @Kara of Canada

Music with our CIs is a journey as well.  I am over three years since activation and still experiencing improvements in musical pitch.

• 7 months later...

After 4 weeks I am going to listen to Susan Boyle singing wild horses at least twice a day until the 'squelch ' goes away. Strange most voices are squelchy but Joan Sutherland, Kathleen battle are almost perfect. 

Music is going to be tough. 

Peter 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

For me I believe it was Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley. I was driving home from work and turned on the radio, couldn't make out any song until that started playing! That was the first month of activation I think. 

• Like 1

Hi Jewel

I am not a user of spotify but I managed the first few bars of Rick. For me I can hear the words but what a lovely squelch sound .

You must be doing very well.

Great

Peter

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

The brain is really amazing. How are you doing on your journey? 

Squelching along thank-you. Only joking. Small improvements. Speech is really good. Frank Sinatra sounds a little better, but Susan Boyle has not improved (wild horses ).

Went to a concert and the cello concerto was bad. Percussion great. Listened to young persons guide to orchestra and enjoyed it, very good to relearn all the instruments. 

Went for a walk up Chapman's peak drive houtbay where I live and listened in amazement to the waves crashing in, perfect. 

All in all, going great. It's now 3 months since activation. 

Peter 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Peter that sounds terrific!  It wasn’t until months 3 or 4 that music started making more substantial improvement for me.  

I know I am incredibly lucky. I was listening to Beethoven's 5th piano concerto on a mini mic after 2 weeks. 

I'll try and make an assessment how it all has improved. It definitely has. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s exciting isn’t it?!  I was listening to music my first week with my second CI side alone.  It loved music right away!

So fun!

Each of my CIs went on their own unique journeys.  

I wonder how much of our progress is due to believing it's going to work. Pp

• HearPeers Heroes

Mind set, attitude, patience, perseverance,

ALL helpful on this journey!

Listening to a few of my favourite songs, the sound is definitely improving. I tried claude  Bolling picnic suite and the flute sounds much better. I'm going for a new mapping on July 1, will try and get separate music program. Our SCAN program is made up from 6 modules so I want to make sure I get the least fancy interference possible .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have compiled a list of music with different instruments available on spotify.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJdzYY_Fas

Drumming with a difference.

chopin sonatas     Piano   

toccata fuge      (Bach) Organ

cavatina (john williams)  Guitar

Machine #2 (leo Kote)      12 string guitar

Indian Song ( brubeck )    long jazz drum solo.

James Galway          Flute

Winifred Atwell              Honkytonk Piano

Tuba Concerto (Vaughn Williams Denis Nulty John Williams)

Silk Road ( Yo YO Mar)     Cello

Voice of the Feminine Spirit   Great voice with wales sounding sometimes

Meditation from Thais  (Jules Massenet ) Solo Violin

Lilly Laskin        Harp

Grande Valse (Chopin)    Piano

Deliverance Duelling Banjos

Antiphone Blues            Saxaphone

Drum Solos

Miles Davies Summertime         Trumpet

Jaques Loussier Trio            Piano Bass drums (great jazz)

just search with the first few words. 

Peter 

• Like 1

Had a great day. Went to the local botanical garden, kirstenbosch. For the first time the birds sounded like birds. Since Monday, new map, keys jangle, stiring the coffee cup chinks. Before all those sounds were very distorted. 

One day at a time... I'm smiling. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Enjoy all your new sounds!

• 1 year later...