Hi from Jenni M near Seattle

Jenni M

Hello everyone!  I'm Jenni from the Seattle area, and just had my implant activated this week, so it's early days for me. Very excited about it, though I'm still mostly just hearing beeps. I have a Sonnet in my right ear.

I had profound bilateral hearing loss from meningitis when I was almost two, so I had learned to speak already. No hearing at all in my left ear, and I used a hearing aid in the right ear my whole life. My hearing was pretty stable and with a power aid I could function pretty well, talk on the phone, deal with social life and use assistive technology for school and work. But I had a series of sudden hearing losses over the last 15 years, all of which I recovered from until the last one about three years ago. My hearing never came back fully, so I lost the ability to talk on the phone, had constant fluctuations and tinnitus, and was functionally deaf a lot of the time. So glad I finally made the decision to get implanted! I'm looking forward to the journey and looking around for auditory training and rehab info. I've started playing the piano again this week, just doing simple songs and scales as a way of auditory training. Amazed that I can already hear many of the notes and get an idea of pitch!!  But if someone speaks to me, it's just beeps at the high points. Luckily I lipread well, so that's how I get  by.

Looking forward to reading, learning and getting to know you all! I hope to make it to some of the Medel meetups in Seattle one of these days.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Jenni M and wishing you the best on your CI journey.  We have a topic here called REHAB.  Grab a cup of coffee and explore that topic.  It is full of rehab tips, apps and websites that have helped us train our brains.  I LOVE aural rehab and it helped me a lot!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Jenni M - welcome!  The beeps will begin to fade, don't worry!  Best of luck!