New Question re: using Cpap machine with CI's,,

GraniPeggy

I have just had my unilateral CI done on Jan.15th.and have my post-op check this coming Monday. I have pretty severe sleep apnea and was advised by Dr.Pillsbury NOT to use the cpap until I see him again. That's been NO problem except for the extreme tiredness and daytime sleepiness.However,I've had no luck finding any information online about IF and HOW the pressure from my cpap might affect my CI,once I'm given the ok to use it again. Naturally I'm curious, does anyone have experience using a cpap machine with a CI ?  Of course,l will ask my Dr.too,I'm just curious about first hand experience. Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@GraniPeggy

I did a search and found one item.  Let us know what your surgeon recommends about your CPAP.

Here is a link but you have to scroll down quite a bit so I will post screen shots too.

https://www.acialliance.org/page/CI2014Posters

8F46B8B3-082F-449D-A3F9-B998CA61F0AF.png

9E1B7677-A108-4B76-A9C3-EB824532EA8A.png

• HearPeers Heroes

I wonder if they won't permit use of the CPAP after healing is complete.  I know the one my husband uses would have rubbed on the incision really badly if it had been me.

Aren't you seeing your surgeon on Monday?  That would be a good question to ask.

• HearPeers Heroes

@GraniPeggy

Hi there! I also have sleep apnea and use a CPAP. I had to get medical clearance from my pulmonologist and he put in his report that I am to keep using my CPAP as usual. 

I used the CPAP as soon as I got to the hotel after surgery and wanted to sleep. I did not change any of the settings. I use nasal pillows and my mask did not interfere with my head bandage or anything. I'm happy I was able to use mine. 

When do you see Dr Pillsbury again? 

I saw my surgeon one week after surgery and he only said I should not wear my Bose headphones until I see him two months after the post op appointment. 

I just read Mary Beth's posts. Looks like I am fortunate I didn't have any problem! 

I'm curious as to what Dr P will say about your CPAP use now. Keep us posted. 

Hi Mary Beth,Mary&Jewel,Thanks for your replies! I did see Dr.Pillsbury yesterday( Monday) and my post-op exam was great. He wanted to get me activated right THEN, which is what l was hoping for!! However,audioligy was booked solid,so I have an appointment for Feb.8th activation...Can you guess that I'm beyond excited?! Lol  Dr.Pillsbury DID ok my going back to reg.use of my cpap starting last night.I was SO exhausted and sleep deprived that l went to bed last night at 7pm!! Slept well,woke up feeling great. I didn't have any problems that l could tell,other than the area behind the ear was still tender,when I first put on the head-piece,so I padded beneath the cpap head-piece with gauze.I REALLY need mine as l have mixed apnea,but hopefully if there's any future problem,Dr.Pillsbury and I can get it resolved. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great, @GraniPeggy!  Soreness is going to be your companion for a few weeks where the incision is, but it will heal and you'll forget all about it.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @GraniPeggy

Glad you can resume CPAP use. I use a nasal pillow mask and the headgear didn't sit near the ear so I had no problem. 

Don't worry, the tenderness should clear up within a few weeks. 

Right now, all eyes and ears are set on your activation next week! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jewel,I apologize for being slow to update you guys! As you can imagine,since activation 2 days ago I've been in a whirl ! The activation went without a hitch..and l was hearing voices immediately! Hallellujah!! At first voices sounded cartoonish,but within the hour that smoothed out and voices were pretty much normal.Im on cloud 9,l never dreamed that I'd hear again,and certainly not this well! I even can hear music,and separate the voice from the instruments..although I'm not 100% understanding the lyrics.But l know it all takes time,and patience,I'm only 2 days past activation! I will be dropping in more,this forum is great support !