scar tissue impacting results of CI surgery

Lynn Agnes

I am scheduled for CI surgery in May 2019.  My surgeon recently asked me "If I encounter scar tissue that would make it difficult to fully insert the wire into the cochlea, what do you want me to do?"  "Give it my best shot even though it might not be the best outcome or just close you back up without going through with the CI?"  He says he encounters this type of scar tissue with 1/10 cases.

Does anyone have any experience with scar tissue impacting the outcome of the procedure?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynn Agnes

My cochleas each presented difficulties during surgery but the CT scans prior to surgery showed that they would present difficulties.  My right side had extensive scar tissue and ossification from 4 prior ear surgeries and otosclerosis.  My surgeon explained that it would be difficult to insert an electrode array.  He planned on using Med-El’s test electrode  and would have three specific electrode arrays in the operating room.  He chose a stiffer electrode array (not the flex series) as choice #1:  medium electrode array.

He would have a compressed electrode array available if he could not extend the electrode array far enough into the cochlea.

If neither of the above worked he would have a split electrode array available.

Both of my round windows were completely blocked so both of my surgeries involved cochleostomy insertion (the surgeon drills a hole into the cochlea to insert the electrode array).

I was happy to have a surgeon who had clear back up plans in place.

Med-El has a new surgical planning platform called OTOPLAN which lets surgeons look at our unique cochlea anatomy prior to surgery and plan the best electrode array match, etc.  I saw it demonstrated in Innsbruck.  It is incredible what they can do now to individualize things for our unique anatomy.

Med-El also will make customized electrode arrays for cochleas that very unique needs.

Sorry for such a long response.

Yes I had extensive scar tissue.  But my surgeon was able to insert the medium electrode array completely and the results have been amazing.

Wishing you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynn Agnes

Med-El’s electrode array options and my complicated cochleas are exactly why I chose Med-El.  Here is a link to a video Med-El made of me explaining my choice.  I hope it helps.

Wishing you the best. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

i highly recommend getting a second opinion with an ENT that does a lot more research prior to operating.

I am troubled by your Drs comment "What do you want me to do? ...."

That to me is not a good sign - not comforting words from a Dr.