speech to text cellphone app that really works

georgewes

What I need is a speech to text app that can pick up conversations around a table of people talking.  I have recently used Speech-to text apps but they weren't very good.  Anyone know of the best one on the market?

• HearPeers Heroes

@georgewes

People are talking about SpeakSee but I don’t think they released it yet.

Also LiveTranscribe on Android using multiple mics.

Some people like AVA but it needs to be downloaded on each person’s phone.

The best speech to text happens with clear speech input and no noise.  This is why SpeakSee uses multiple small clip on mics on the various people.  Check out their website.

Interesting tool.  I normally do not have to use voice to text but was out the other day without replacement batteries.  I had installed LiveTranscribe on my phone so tried it out.  Worked great for accuracy...  I was not connected to wifi so it was using the 3 or 4 gl phone connection and it was a little slow.   So If you have data enabled on your phone you should be able to connect anywhere you have service.  But probably not has fast but.

Was also curious whether it would connect to a bluetooth mic.  Went to Settings/Audio Language/Microphone.  My Artone 3 MAX displayed along with 'This device' the phone.  Selected the  Artone, it connected and worked great.

This has the potential to be a powerful tool for anyone needing voice to text.  Thank you Mary Beth for the information!

• HearPeers Heroes

@treesrd1896

You are welcome 

Do you mean that you can place a phone call through your cellphone connected to your Artone BT neckloop and use LiveTranscribe to caption the call?

No.  The only bluetooth mic i have available at the moment is the one on the Artone...  I used it to test whether the app would work with a bt mic.  Not in a call.  Sorry for the confusion.

• HearPeers Heroes

@treesrd1896

I am a little confused.  Sorry.

So you chose the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop in the settings under mic.

Then how did you test it?  You spoke into your neckloop and LiveTranscribe captioned it?  We can use the neckloop as a remote mic for the phone?  So someone else could wear the neckloop as a remote mic?

I am only aware of using the Artone to pick up my voice on a call.

Will you help me understand this better please?  Sorry for my confusion.

Mary Beth,

Yes

• I connected the app to the Artone 3 MAX neckloop as the microphone source.
  • Went outside the house (about 20ft) leaving the phone in the house where it could not pickup my voice.
  • I spoke into the neckloop.
  • The app transcribed what I said accurately.

So someone else could be wearing the neckloop and let the app transcribe what they are saying.  Or you could put a BT enabled mic on a table to pickup a conversation.

This also has other possible uses.  Many Android phones have the ability to 'Cast' the phone screen to a TV and other devices.  Several years ago I was at a meeting where there was someone manually transcribing the speaker and displaying it on a TV screen.  Using the 'Cast' functionality available on many Android phones along with LiveTranscribe you could probably do something similar without anyone having to manually transcribe.  I have not tried it but logically it should work.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

• HearPeers Heroes

@treesrd1896

Thank you!

So most definitely if you pair a BT mic (like Artone Mic) and Select it in the app, it will work.  Cool!

Very very cool!

@Lita