My 4 yrs and a half daughter just got CI

Ammar Mahdi

Hi everyone here,
First of all, I would like to say that I glad to find this great platform that the ppl here helps each other’s. I was trying to find a place that I can get some information about CI for ppl experiences.
My daughter has been implanted lately for the left ear, also last 4 days her CI has been activated. The processor brand is (Cochlear Nucleus 7). What do you think about this brand?
The point is, we speak two different languages at home ;therefore, my daughter doesn’t speak well our own language as well as English I do not know how long should take to get my daughter feel comfortable with and starts hearing properly with it to start speaking understandable language no matter what? The Audiologists who see my daughter said she might take from 6 to 12 months to get her hearing improved. I hope you guys here give me some of your experience for kids CI.
Also, I have question, the complex management I live in asked me to recommend whatever tools that may help CI recipient in the case of emergency. So, per your experience, what do you think what kind of tools I might need for any case in future for the home?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @Ammar Mahdi

Congratulations on your daughter’s  cochlear  implant.  I wish her the best!

This forum is run by Med-El so almost everyone in this forum uses the Med-El brand.  You may want to search for a forum of your daughter’s brand to ask questions about her processor.

Children tend to respond very well to listening therapy with cochlear implants.  I hope you are able to access those aural rehab services for your daughter in your area.  It makes a big difference.

www.harriscomm.com has lots of alerting devices for deaf and hard-of-hearing people.  Check out their website.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Mary for directing me. Again, I was expecting they all same processors.

I just have one question, after for instant 3 to five yrs of using CI, what is the quality of the sounds you guys hear? because from many websites, they said you will not hear sounds other than robotic sounds for every and the sounds of the music will not be clear at all. does that right?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ammar Mahdi

I had listened to those simulations of what speech and music sound like with cochlear implants and I thought they sounded terrible.  So I am very happy to report, that after I adjusted to listening with my cochlear implants things sound wonderful!  Voices sound very natural and I can tell when someone has a cold or is emotional just by how their voice sounds.  Everyone has their own voice.  Music took longer to sound good to me but now it sounds fabulous,  I learned the songs on the Grammy 2016 nominees album just by listening to them like everyone else.  That was fabulous.  Music sounds so good that I returned to playing the piano.  I have attended many live musical performances in the past 4 years.  I love music.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 5-year old was implanted in November.  I cannot speak about different processors as ours has the Medel Sonnet.  We are unsure if she was deaf soon after birth or progressive loss.  Our experience after activation was she heard "beeps" for 5 weeks.  Then in AVT one day she was repeating what the therapist was saying in a different room through her Roger Select to implant ear only.  She is hearing now but does get lost with story comprehension with "just" her implant ear isolated.  She does just fine with her good ear / implant ear mixed.  I asked her how the sound was compared to her hearing ear and she said it sounds exactly the same!  I asked her if it ever sounds like a robot and she said no.  However, on our windy days in Texas, she will say the wind irritates her because it sounds like "tappety tap tap".  Also, she went from biweekly AVT from activation now down to once a month.  She wears her Roger to school.  Good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Julie72

Wishing your daughter the very best!

Wind can be a problem with Sonnets.  My Rondo handles wind better than my Sonnets.

35 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Julie72

Wishing your daughter the very best!

Wind can be a problem with Sonnets.  My Rondo handles wind better than my Sonnets.

Thank you!  Good to know about the wind - wasn't sure if that was completely normal.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Julie72

Wind over exposed mics does not sound good.  If I am going to be in wind for awhile (walking on a windy beach, etc), I use my Rondos.  Last month I went for a long walk on a windy beach with sand blowing so I put my Rondos in waterwear covers to protect them from the sand.  Worked great!  Sounded great too!

Wind over hearing aid microphones have been a problem for me for years. When I turn my head into the wind, I hear nothing but wind noise until I block the wind. One set of hearing aids I had tried to minimize it by changing to directional and reducing amplification. However, standing face into the wind, I still got wind noise and little of other noises. The best I could do to block the wind noise was to turn my head to not have the wind blow across the mics or have something block the wind from the mics (like my hand).

I haven't been activated yet, but I do expect it to be a similar experience for CI microphones. I can see how the waterwear cover would be effective as it shields the exposed mics.

• HearPeers Heroes

EarGear covers can help too!