Speech in noise practice in the car

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I accidentally stumbled onto a cool way to practice speech in noise.  Our new car has Apple Play so I was jamming to music from my phone while also using the phone’s map to direct me to my destination.  Cool way to practice speech in noise.  😊 

• HearPeers Heroes

The system dampens the music when giving directions but it seems to apply the same decrease in music volume no matter how loudly the music is playing.  So if you are really jamming, the decrease in music volume still leaves hearing the directions difficult.  By adjusting the music volume we can change the degree of difficulty.  Smile.

If we do this while driving around our normal areas, it is cool speech in noise practice.

• 1 month later...

I have written a program for windows and Linux. I took Angel's 1440 sentences .the program plays continuous babble noise which you can adjust. You select a random sentence with plays over the babble. You can repeat as often as you like, perhaps turn off the noise and try again. If you really battle you can display the sentence. 

If people are interested I will upload it to sourceforge  .I'm hoping it may get donations for our local CI unit. 

I've started an android version and I think I can do it 

It will be my first app if it work. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

I am interested if it works on iOS devices.  Sounds great.

No can do. Only android. Apple apps definitely lead the way. Although it's good to see hearos.