New to CI - Confusion reigns!

Tutz67

Hi Everyone, I live in Adelaide and lost my left side hearing last July, virus they think - I am now 12 months into the new journey of tinnitus and hearing loss.  After a year of treatment (didn't work), information overload (so much to try and understand) and finally approval for a CI - I am now in the position of selecting from one of the three.  Currently I am leaning toward Med El.  From my understanding the sound is more natural and music is still music!  I am concerned that I just don't know what I should be looking for or what questions I should be asking - I read some CI have scanners to focus on areas of sound, others the batteries rechargeable vs disposable, attachments and accessories.

I guess, like everyone, I would like my hearing to sound as normal as possible, especially music.  I am hoping to have better awareness of where sound is coming from - hilarious when I'm out shopping with my daughter and she calls my name - I stand there doing the 360 scan until some kind soul points me in the right direction!  I don't like carrying around accessories - so I am really looking for something simple that clips on and works for the day until it needs a recharge! I don't like the idea of putting microphones in the middle of the table so I can hear better - still I guess I could dress them up as a centrepiece if needed!!    

Basically just wondering if what I am looking for is available with Med-el - any assistance would be  appreciated

Many thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tutz67

Welcome to HearPeers!

There is a lot to learn at first.  Don’t worry, you will get the hang of things rather quickly.

Everyone’s results with CIs vary.  I will share my experience and feel free to ask questions.

I too love a put it on and go about my day kind of processor.  I do not change programs, volume levels, sensitivity settings (think of the size of the sound bubble the processor is focused on), remote mics.....etc.  I just put on my Med-El processors and hear all day in all different settings.  Music sounds amazing!  

Which Med-El processor?  I hear great with all three processors that I have.

-OPUS2 (BTE model before Sonnet 1)

-Rondo 1 (off the ear model before Rondo 2)

-Sonnet 1 (BTE model before Sonnet 2)

Med-El’s newest processors are....

Rondo 2

Sonnet 2

It is the internal components of a CI which have the most impact on sound quality. I have an internal Concerto with a medium electrode array and an internal Synchrony with a flex 28 electrode array.

Med-El has released the Synchrony 2 but I haven’t seen much info about it yet.

Our surgeons choose the most appropriate electrode array for our individual cochleas.  That is why I have 2 different electrode arrays.  And Med-El’s extensive options of electrode arrays was the deciding factor for me in choosing Med-El.

I wish you the very best!  You will love the return to knowing which direction sound is coming from. 

11 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Tutz67

Welcome to HearPeers!

There is a lot to learn at first.  Don’t worry, you will get the hang of things rather quickly.

Everyone’s results with CIs vary.  I will share my experience and feel free to ask questions.

I too love a put it on and go about my day kind of processor.  I do not change programs, volume levels, sensitivity settings (think of the size of the sound bubble the processor is focused on), remote mics.....etc.  I just put on my Med-El processors and hear all day in all different settings.  Music sounds amazing!  

Which Med-El processor?  I hear great with all three processors that I have.

-OPUS2 (BTE model before Sonnet 1)

-Rondo 1 (off the ear model before Rondo 2)

-Sonnet 1 (BTE model before Sonnet 2)

Med-El’s newest processors are....

Rondo 2

Sonnet 2

It is the internal components of a CI which have the most impact on sound quality. I have an internal Concerto with a medium electrode array and an internal Synchrony with a flex 28 electrode array.

Med-El has released the Synchrony 2 but I haven’t seen much info about it yet.

Our surgeons choose the most appropriate electrode array for our individual cochleas.  That is why I have 2 different electrode arrays.  And Med-El’s extensive options of electrode arrays was the deciding factor for me in choosing Med-El.

I wish you the very best!  You will love the return to knowing which direction sound is coming from. 

Thanks so much for your comments, really appreciated.  Just one query, does the med el processor automatically pick up changes in environment and adjust or do you have to adjust as required?  

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El processors all have automatic sound management (ASM) That help us hear our best.  There are presently three different versions of ASM in use.

ASM 1 : Rondo 1, OPUS2 and the new Rondo 2 use ASM 1.  I love the sound quality and ease of use of ASM 1.  We have many happy Rondo 2 users.  I have OPUS2 and Rondo 1 in ASM 1.

ASM 2: Only Sonnet 1 uses ASM 2.  It introduced dual mic settings of a forward focus (natural) and adaptive beam (adaptive) but also kept the one mic all directions setting option (omni).  It also introduced wind block settings of OFF, MILD and STRONG.

ASM 3: Only Sonnet 2 uses the new ASM 3.  This uses adaptive intelligence to automatically manage the settings based on the listening environment.  It also adds the features of ambient noise control (fans, motors) and transient noise control (slamming door, glass breaking).

Lots of tech involved to help us hear our best.  Interesting stuff.

I think Med-El does a great job of designing this because I use ASM 1 in all settings without changing anything and hear very well. I use ASM 2 on my Sonnets.  I prefer the omni mic setting on Sonnets but can switch to adaptive mic setting in very loud places if I remember to do it.  Smile.

I just put my CIs on when I wake up and go about my day.  If I want to listen to an audiobook, podcast, etc I use the tiny Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop and stream.

Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 will use the new AudioLink intermediary device that Med-El just announced.

In the US, Med-El is expecting release of Sonnet 2 and AudioLink near the end of 2019 according to their FB posts.  The app (AudioKey) which works with Sonnet 1 & 2 is expected in the app stores in August.

The external processors and accessories for streaming audio change frequently.  The internal implant we hope to use for decades.

Thank you so much for forwarding the links, they have answered many of my questions.