New Implant today 9/20/19

dkritter

Hi,

New guy here,  just had my CI implant this morning - now at home relaxing. Bit of history, 62 years old, had severe hearing loss in right ear the day after memorial day 2018. Had the shots, no help. Had some dizziness also which eventually went away, got 2 hearing aids and was able to function mostly normal. Fast forward to March 14th 2019, took dog for a 2 hour run, when i got back to my truck, realized my left hearing aid was not working. Did the maintenance (wax build up) and no, I was deaf in my left ear. Went to ENT and my left (good ear) had a profound hearing loss. Again shots to no avail. Also some  dizziness, vertigo (less then 10 min) Various diagnoses from SSHL to Meniere's  and back again. In other words nothing conclusive.

So I studied online, read a lot, and visited here frequently and decided to move forward with the implant which I had today with no complications. 

October 14th is my activation day and am looking so forward to it. I have my hopes up since I've only been without hearing for less that a half year, but also know there is some hard work ahead. But I'm willing to put that in because I really dislike (nice word) not being including in the conversations and enjoying just being in the here and now.

I did have one question to the forum, two days after activation I am leaving town for a week, wasn't sure if for that first week or so you want to access to your audiologist. My thought is activate it, leave and work on rehab exclusively for a week  and then if have issues see the audiologist on my return. I guess worse case i turn it off till i get back.

Thanks for listening and any newbie advice will be appreciated

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes you're free to go exploring the world - I wouldn't think you will need your audiologist during the week, between appointments.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had an appointment a week after activation, but you could schedule the appointments to accommodate your schedule.  But I wouldn't leave it out!  Use your CI, it's all good rehab.

• HearPeers Heroes

@dkritter

Congratulations!  Which processor did you choose?

Every CI center handles activation and follow up MAPping appointments a bit differently.  Ask your CI audiologist for the schedule you will follow.

I don’t expect you would need your audiologist the first week after activation.

Yes good morning and thank you for the welcome. Restless sleep last night with this big plastic thing strapped to my head - oh well only one more night.

To answer your question Mary Beth, I chose the Rondo 2 and the Sonnet. I'm going to activate with the Rondo 2 and hold off activating the Sonnet. I was told by my audiologist that the Sonnet 2 is being released this fall in the US and if I keep the Sonnet in it's packaging - I can upgrade at no charge when the Sonnet 2 comes out.

Do you know anything about the release date of the Sonnet 2 in the US?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

@dkritter

Sleeping will be more comfortable after you get to remove that.  My CI center uses a softer wrap but I was happy to remove it too.  I go to New York Eye & Ear in NYC.  Which CI center do you go to?

Yes! Definitely keep the Sonnet all sealed up for the Med-El US promotion about the Sonnet swap.  I am so happy you fall into that promotion.

If you follow the official Med-El US FB page, they will announce the date Sonnet 2 is being released in the US there.  We typically copy and post it here too.  Everyone is excited about the Sonnet 2 release date.  Hopefully we will hear something soon.

By the way, have you registered yet for the new HearPeers US group?  It is different than this forum in that it is going to focus on ways for interested people in the US with Med-El implants to meet up in person.  If not, join in.  Right now we are waiting to hear of actual events.  Med-El US has been gathering names.

Mary Beth,

I am using the Koss Cochlear Implant Center at the Froedtert Medical College of WI - in Milwaukee area. Real good outfit, great doctors and staff. 

I will join up with the hearpeers US group, I don't do Facebook but maybe I should.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am a new CI recipient as well. I wan implanted on 9/5 and activated with a Rondo 2 on 9/24. I’m also waiting for the Sonnet 2 to ship and from what I am reading it will be worth the wait. If you get any pain issues I was taking two Tylenol every six hours and was told to take two ibuprofen at the three hour mark. That did the trick and I didn’t need any major pain meds. After 4-5 days I had no pain but still have quit.e a bit of swelling.

With regard to your trip you will probably not have very much discrimination. My audiologist has me still getting used to volume. She gave me four programs of increasing volume and wants me to be at program 4 at my next mapping session in two weeks. If you have a hearing aid fo your non implanted ear I would take it.

Goo.d Luck,

Don

Mary Beth,

I had not heard of the new HearPeers US group - I thoughT this was the HearPeers Forum. How do I register for this other forum?

Thanks ,

Don

• HearPeers Heroes

@Don Doherty

This is the international HearPeers forum for discussions like you are having.

The US HearPeers is just starting up and it will focus on social opportunities to meet each other.  So far, all that has happened is we register.  Here is a link.

https://www.hearpeers.us/