Favorite around the ear BT headphones to use with Sonnet 2, Sonnet and OPUS2 BTE processors

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

Share your review with us please.

It’s great to have many options!

Looking forward to you testing out that tactile bass of your kind of headphones!

Hi Mary Beth and all

I have recently had my bilateral hearing restored after implant failure on the right side. To celebrate my return to stereo sound, I decided to treat myself to some over the ear headphones. I’ve never owned a pair before. I use the bluetooth earhook headphones. They provide decent stereo sound, cost around £20 and have lasted for four years. However, I fancied trying something a little snazzier that might provide a better overall acoustic experience. 

After lots of research, I settled for a pair of Skullcandy headphones. I’d initially dismissed them as a trendy gimmick, but I tried out my sister’s Venue pair and the sound quality and fit were outstanding: https://www.skullcandy.co.uk/shop/headphones/bluetooth-headphones/venue

I decided to try a different pair, and opted for the Crusher: https://www.skullcandy.co.uk/shop/headphones/bluetooth-headphones/crusher-wireless

Verdict: I really like them, but they may not be for everybody. 

Pros:

• They sit nicely on my head (for me) to be picked up by the Sonnet mics. 
  • The sound is loud enough; I normally have the volume at around 2/3 the full volume. 
  • They provide balanced and clear stereo sound across a range of genres including classical, jazz, as well as more poppy and rocky songs. My favourite classical tracks still sound full and sweet on these.
  • I LOVE the tactile bass! Even when switched off, the headphones provide a lot of vibration and movement. I find them very immersive. For a song or a movie with bassy sound, I only have to switch the bass lever up a little and the headphones thrum and vibrate. It’s really fun.

Cons:

• Some people may find them too bass heavy. All my family tried them, all liked them, with my dad commenting they were too bassy for him. This is a matter of personal preference, I think.
  • They size up a little small, and some people may find them tight. I can wear them comfortably for a couple of hours.
  • They’re not noise cancelling and do leak a little sound, however, not too much. 

I’m really pleased that I dipped my toe in the water with OTE headphones, and I would definitely buy another pair.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth  what an awesome review!  I LOVE it when we share reviews of tech!

I LOVE my BOSE QC35 around the ear headphones.  They are noise canceling for acoustic listeners.  The noise canceling feature is optimized for sound entering the ear canal.  With my OPUS2 BTE processors, sound enters the mic in the earhook.  So they do dampen noise for me but not as much as they do for Jill who has acoustic hearing.  They have terrific bass.  They are comfortable on flights.  On my right side, they never become uncomfortable.  On my left side, sometimes on long flights they do become uncomfortable and then I either place a thin piece of moleskin between the OPUS2 and my ear or pop the OPUS2 off my ear and let it rest in the headphone cup.  Be VERY careful when removing the headphones if you do this.  Sonnet processors have had problems twice for me when using these headphones on flights (one short flight and one long flight).  Somehow it messed up my Sonnet mics.  I don’t understand what happened but have heard it from another Sonnet user too.  The first time I thought it was a fluke.  After the second time, I will never use headphones on my Sonnets while flying.  Both times it happened to me, my processors had to be replaced.  So I fly with my trusty OPUS2 processors which have never had a problem with headphones.

Does anyone else here use headphones?  What has been your experience using headphones with your processors?