Hello and Surgery Date

Wayne P.

Hello! My name is Wayne and I have been a candidate for 8 months and just received a surgery date for January! Nervous and hopeful at the same time. 

Is there anyone from Ontario Canada on here? I looked at Med-El’s website for Canada and do not see the Sonnet 2 listed. Hopefully that will be an option when I get Implanted!

I am looking forward to better speech clarity again!

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @wpeters and congratulations on receiving a surgery date!

yes we have members from Ontario here.

Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Thanks! I have a question :) As a user of hearing aids most my life, I was able to hear reasonably well with them, even more so since digital came out years ago. However, in the past couple years my speech recognition declined rapidly to the point I could no longer function in my job or enjoy family or friend gatherings. Even with the Roger Pen. Hence, the CI.

Our province only covers 1 implant and my biggest fear is that once I am implanted and activated, speech recognition will not improve to level it was a couple years ago. Concerns such as will I be able to enjoy the movie theatre again, will I ever be able to hear my daughter and converse with her while walking her to the bus, will I ever be able to work in the ER again. Or standing in line at the store and having no idea what people are actually saying. 

I read on this forum people talking about not comprehending speech well even after a year. But then I read stories of success and I am so encouraged! But other times, well, let’s just say I get really nervous and scared I will be worst off. What a journey!

Am I expecting too much?

• HearPeers Heroes

@wpeters

Totally understandable!

I now have bilateral CIs but while I was unilateral CI I could do all of the things you mentioned (except the work in a ER!) as long as I positioned myself so my CI side was toward the person/people speaking.

It is an incredible journey and all the time you devote to training your brain to use the CI input will pay off!  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Wayne.  This is Sandy.  I just replied to you on Facebook regarding the London hospital.  This has been the most fantastic journey for me.  It took patience, practice and perseverance (what we call the 3 Ps) but it pays off.  I can hear.  There’s a section in here called WOW Moments where people post the amazing things they can now hear.  Just remember that it’s a marathon not a sprint and requires a lot of work both for you and your support team.  Any questions, please ask.  Let your journey begin.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth.  Yes I am.  I’ve had it going on seven years and love it.  I can only get a new one if this one becomes inoperable. Our government will then pay a portion of the cost of a new processor and Med el will take this one back and reimburse me some of the cost.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sandy

Rondo processors are really cool.  I am so glad you are still loving yours.

11 hours ago, Sandy said:

Hi Wayne.  This is Sandy.  I just replied to you on Facebook regarding the London hospital.  This has been the most fantastic journey for me.  It took patience, practice and perseverance (what we call the 3 Ps) but it pays off.  I can hear.  There’s a section in here called WOW Moments where people post the amazing things they can now hear.  Just remember that it’s a marathon not a sprint and requires a lot of work both for you and your support team.  Any questions, please ask.  Let your journey begin.

Thanks Sandy! I will have to check out the WOW Moments board. I just discovered the FB group :)