Tinnitus and CI

Ozzie

Hello,

I have Sensorineural severe High Frequency hearing loss and Tinnitus in both ears, I am worried my Tinnitus gets worse due to the implant.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ozzie

People’s experiences vary.

I have had tinnitus for decades, both ears. My tinnitus reduced greatly after CI surgeries.  I do not notice my tinnitus while my processors are on.  It returns when I remove the processors before bed but is much much quieter than before.

There was a short time after being activated that my tinnitus was very loud at night.  But that was short-lived.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, is a lucky woman.  My tinnitus began after  to be implanted. I think that we all are differents.

I had moderately bad tinnitus before surgery and moderately bad tinnitus after surgery but it’s only the very rarest occasion that tinnitus bothers me while wearing my single side processor. It does happen, usually when I’m in a very quiet setting, but not anywhere as bothersome as when I take the processor off at night.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My tinnitus began immediately after my hearing loss (both ears).Unfortunately it is extremely loud...all the times only when I'm sleeping I get a freaking break.It's like a roaring river,my processor doesn't eliminate or calm it down.To me my tinnitus issues is worse than being deaf....cause there's no cure apparently!!

I've noticed my tinnitus 3 months after implantation/activation. It was a sudden onset and LOUD. Fortunately, with the CI, it isn't as noticeable. And 9 months after, it has quieted down overall, even without the CI. It's still there, but much more tolerable. And with the CI on, I don't notice it at all.

• 3 weeks later...

i used to have tinnitus when i was on HA back in 2000-2001, at one time it got worse and made in difficult for me to focus in high school final year. On left ear my hearing loss got worse like 90% loss and i had to change my HA to powerful one widex digital HA but still tinnitus was not going away, i had to stopped wearing HA on left ear and only had HA on right ear until my hearing right also went severe loss around 85%. I did some research on tinnitus and found out some of guys had CI and their tinnitus was gone, i got my first CI in 2003 on left ear and since then m still hearing from left ear only. I did had tinnitus sometime after few years without Audi processor and later i found i had calcium deficiency (lactose intolerance since birth) and B12 deficiency as well, took some VitD inj shot and B12 shots, also had some magnesium/zinc tablets which really help in stopping tinnitus in sleep.