Sonnet 2

DncTchr2

I just read on the FB page that the Sonnet 2 is available in US as of today...has anyone else heard this? Surgery in 6 sleeps...would love to start my journey with them. Thanks!! 

I know that sonnet 2 is available in the US now which is fantastic! I believe that the sonnet 2 is being offered as a processor starting now, if you are not yet implanted. There is also a program called the sonnet swap and if you have a new processor that is unopened, then you can swap it for a Sonnet2! If you are already implanted like me, then you have to wait to upgrade when the warranty is up on your current processors to get the sonnet 2. Hope this helps!

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/sonnet2

• HearPeers Heroes

It is exciting that the Sonnet 2 has been released in the US.  Other countries that have the Sonnet 2 have its ASM 3 features active (adaptive intelligence).  These features are the biggest change in the Sonnet 2 in my opinion.  It looks like the US release of Sonnet 2 may not have those features active yet.  When Med-El released the Sonnet 1 in the US in spring 2015, its ASM 2 features were not active in the US although they were active in other countries.  In the US, ASM 2 did not get released until two years later (spring 2017).

I experienced Sonnet 1 in ASM 1 from activation of my second side (Nov 2015) until ASM 2 was released in May 2017.  Then I had to adjust to Sonnet 1 in ASM 2. There was no way around this as it was my activation timeline.  I promised myself I would wait until all features of a new processor were active in the US, like other countries, before upgrading.  I would rather adjust to a new processor once.

I wonder when the new features in ASM 3 will be active in the US for Sonnet 2?

Congratulations to those receiving Sonnet 2 with activation or the Sonnet swap!  You will be all ready when the ASM 3 features become active in the US.

Since I am upgrading in 2020, I will be following everyone’s reports.  I look forward to hearing your Sonnet 2 experiences.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is why I think Sonnet 2 will not be released with its ASM 3 features active in the US.

It’s from the US Med-El website under Sonnet 2 technical info.

8625BA59-A85D-42DE-9EA2-B76D6AB68E86.jpeg

6725D882-B72B-4490-9281-AF1B78D45915.jpeg

Thanks ladies! I am going for surgery on Wednesday, so the timing is perfect for me...I had planned to do the swap too. I am still trying to understand all of the lingo/features, but I guess that will be part of the journey...thank you for the information. Have a beautiful weekend!

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

Wishing you the best on Wednesday!  When you feel up to it, let us know how things are going.

It takes time to learn the lingo.  Smile.  You will be speaking “Med-El “ in due time too!

Thanks so very much...I will. Each day makes me a bit more anxious...it does all seem overwhelming. I have been reading a lot, but I think some stuff needs to be experienced/seen to truly understand what it is and how it works...looking forward to it. :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

You are right.  One step at a time.  Surgery and recovery.

It helped me to sleep with my head elevated for a few days.

Yup! Pillows ready for that...I go to sleep on my side every night appreciating that it is going to change very soon...yogurt, soup, tylenol, travel pillows, button up tops, movie list...! ;) 

Thanks again Mary Beth.

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

Both of my CI surgeries were the easiest ear surgeries for me.  I hope you are as fortunate.

Me too!  I vacillate between eating healthy all weekend and eating all of my favorite foods in case I lose my sense of taste...that is a concern. No other ear surgeries to compare it to, but I have had 2 c sections...have a terrific weekend Mary Beth. 

Hello...I wanted to give you an update!  I am home and the surgery went well. They had two techs (one from Austria) who specialize in preserving residual hearing...they did an experimental procedure with the implants specific to preserving hearing and it seems to have worked! There was also a group from Japan visiting the hospital who sat in on the procedure. It was quite a party. I did not lose my sense of taste...have been sick just once, and pain has been managed with extra strength Tylenol. I think most of the pain is coming from the dressing, but I have to leave it on for 3 more days.

Anyway, you have been so kind and I wanted to let you know so far I am feeling great.

Hope you are well and that you enjoyed the show last night. Funny, I first realized just how bad my hearing had gotten watching Jersey Boys...I could hear the music, but none of the dialogue. I cried...that was 4+ years ago.

Much gratitude,

Kerrie 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kerrie! @DncTchr2

Just wait until you see your next Broadway show after everything stabilizes with your CI!

Which CI center do you use?  Sounds like a great party!

Rest easy!

Hello...I was at UCLA. :) and I cannot wait...Beauty and the Beast is my favorite...a goal!