Adult Rehab

DarlaHS

I received my bilateral cochlear implants in August 2018. I practiced every single day of the week. My last mapping was the beginning of 2019.

Veterans Affaires has decided that I don’t need to see an audiologist. I am finding that I cannot hear as well as in the beginning. We have returned to days of talking very loud and I don’t hear someone behind me.

I could use any help you are willing to give 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

I am sorry to hear this.  It has been a year since your last MAPping do settings may need to be adjusted.  Is there any way for you to see an audiologist independently if the VA won’t approve it?

Which processor are you using?

I am using both rondos and sonnets. 
I found a number for my surgeon to call and request the va pay for me to see an audiologist. I will call his office on Monday.

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

Do both your Rondo and Sonnet processors sound too quiet?

If you are noticing the volume decrease in just the Sonnets, changing the mic cover may help as you wait for your appointment.

I hope you get to see your audiologist soon.  That must be frustrating.

The sonnets are very quiet. The rondos are perfect but unsure how to use with my artone device. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

I am glad your Rondos are fine while you wait for your appt.

I suggest you change your Sonnet mic cover.  Med-El recommends that we change the Sonnet mic covers every 3 months to maintain sound quality.  I find that every 2 months works better for me to maintain sound quality with my Sonnets.  Have you ever changed the Sonnet mic cover before?  Med-El has a video.  I can post a link to it for you.

Also several of us have noticed that if we disconnect the Sonnet cable from the Sonnet and the coil and then reconnect it again, sound quality improves.

You can use your Rondo processor with the Artone.  Just pair the Rondo to your FineTuner.  To do that....

turn off the Rondo

place it on top of the lower section of the FineTuner (it will magnetically adhere)

keep the Rondo on the FineTuner and turn it on (you will see lights flash on your FineTuner)

If you have two Rondos, repeat with the second one

Then just use your Artone the same exact way you do with your Sonnet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Link to Med-El video about how to change mic cover 

@marybeth 

I will do all this tomorrow. I have never changed mic covers. I’m guessing they are way overdue. 

Thanks for the link to the video. This will be most useful. I will keep you updated on what is happening. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DarlaHS

great.  I look forward to reading how things sound after you change your Sonnet mic covers.

Most important step is to be sure to remove the pin in the hook first.

That tiny pin will magnetically adhere to the bottom of your coil for safe keeping until it is time to put it back in.