CI and Shooting Range

Neil

I have not been to a shooting range since my CI. And I am planning to go back. Does anyone have any experience with what is best to wear?  I imagine if I take CI off I could simply use ear plugs.

Or would earmuffs be  needed.

...I guess I should call Doctor on this one....

But if anyone has experience, please let me know

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Just curious, why would you need earplugs or earmuffs?  It won't damage hearing that you don't have.  I'd be interested to know what your doctor says.

@Neal I have not been to the range since since I was implanted in August 2019. The thing that i am concerned about is, I feel that the noise would be uncomfortably loud through the processor on my left side. I would take off the processor wear ear muffs to protect my right ear that I hear very little. In doing that I am concerned that I may not hear the range commands with my right ear. Now that we are dealing COVID 19, I guess I will have plenty of time figure something out before I will be able to go. I too will be interested in what your doctor has to say about the subject.

Hi @Neil

Actually i'd go with ear muffs or plugs just because I remember pain/ discomfort from extremely loud noise after the surgery and without processor on.  As it's not about further damaging your natural hearing, wearing protective device might help in case of physical discomfort and it definitely won't hurt.   Let us know what your doctor say. 

Happy practice!

• Like 1

Yes, i would definitely wear the ear muffs. My ear muffs have some amplification for voices but cut out the gun noise. This is what i used without hearing aids before i was implanted but i don't know if it would work with just my natural hearing in my right ear. The only sure solution would be to always have someone with me to make sure that i dont unintentionally disobey a range command. 

On 6/26/2020 at 6:33 PM, Mary Featherston said:

Just curious, why would you need earplugs or earmuffs?  It won't damage hearing that you don't have.  I'd be interested to know what your doctor says.

He told me the plugs would be OK.

Though I have CI I would imagine the loud noise may do some damage, perhaps to cochlear itself.

So, why take a chance.

Also, the Doctor did not sound surprised by question

On 6/27/2020 at 12:27 PM, Nikki said:

Hi @Neil

Actually i'd go with ear muffs or plugs just because I remember pain/ discomfort from extremely loud noise after the surgery and without processor on.  As it's not about further damaging your natural hearing, wearing protective device might help in case of physical discomfort and it definitely won't hurt.   Let us know what your doctor say. 

Happy practice!

He said go with the plugs...

Thanks

On 6/21/2020 at 5:58 PM, Neil said:

I have not been to a shooting range since my CI. And I am planning to go back. Does anyone have any experience with what is best to wear?  I imagine if I take CI off I could simply use ear plugs.

Or would earmuffs be  needed.

...I guess I should call Doctor on this one....

But if anyone has experience, please let me know

Thanks

I am deaf because on shooting ranges. My work for 30 years. When I started no one know much about hearing protection. I have done a lot of studding on this and I will only tell you what I do. I wear the muff type. That way I protect my normal ear and it does not hurt anything to cover the implant side . O of course  I remove the processor. Better save that sorry. I have ask the same question and everyone has a different answer. What I do know is I am going to protect the normal ear and just In case The other one also. It would be hell to have to have the implant remover and replaced. so will wear them (no extra charge so why not) 

• 3 weeks later...

I take the implant off and leave my hearing aid on and use muffs, but if you are deaf you will not hear the range officer when he orders a cease fire and that can be dangerous. Try leaving it on under the muffs