Missing the true sound of music

Leila Riley

Hello everyone,guess I'm the newest member in town!!!Anyways,this may seem like not much of a problem  to others but for me not being able to enjoy music is undoubtedly one of my biggest problem.....music gives me peace of mind,joy and happiness.If anyone has that same issue..NOT HEARING MUSIC CLEARLY with cochlear implant I'll  be happy to her from you!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Leila Riley

Welcome!

music was a gift slowly opened by my CIs.  It took time but was so worth the wait!

Tell us a bit about yourself.
How long have you been implanted?  One side or two?  Which processor do you use?

Have you worked on any music rehab with your CI?  I did and it helped a lot with pitch.

Here is my music and CI experience.

https://blog.medel.com/3-steps-to-rediscovering-music-with-a-cochlear-implant/

I’m 3 and a half years in and I still find music a struggle. A lot depends on the source. If I listen on a good system it’s a lot better than a cheap speaker or phone.

But I’m reminded of one of the main reasons I finally agreed to get the implant... I realized one day I could no longer even hear Robert Plant’s voice while listening to old Led Zep albums. He was still in my head but I couldn’t actually hear him anymore. That tipped the balance.

Since the implant, I still listen to a ton of music and in fact enjoy it as much, if not more, because I’m hearing stuff in music that I never knew was there.

Good luck and remember the song doesn’t necessarily have to remain the same😀

Music does not sound good to me either. Voices sound fine but instruments not so good.  The number of instruments effects the sound quality that I hear. My Church has an orchestra and it sounds like static to me but if only a few instruments are playing it doesn't sound so bad. I have never been a big fan of music therefore I have not put in much practice time. That probably is a lot of the reason it sounds so bad to me.

Thanks!!you guys for responding....when I became deaf one of the very first things I thought about was music,in fact I STILL DO.One of the greatest things is that the tunes still lives in my head!!!I'm  not giving  up...things will change somehow.Thanks  again!!!

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Leila Riley

Welcome!

music was a gift slowly opened by my CIs.  It took time but was so worth the wait!

Tell us a bit about yourself.
How long have you been implanted?  One side or two?  Which processor do you use?

Have you worked on any music rehab with your CI?  I did and it helped a lot with pitch.

Here is my music and CI experience.

https://blog.medel.com/3-steps-to-rediscovering-music-with-a-cochlear-implant/

Hi Mary Beth,my CI was done February this year and activated in March of this....in my left ear.I got totally  deaf in both ears.The model is MEDEL.I must say my rehab has been negatively impacted by the pandemic.Last Monday I had rehab since April.So I'm still learning!!!Thanks  Mary Beth!!!/CI whisperer!,

• HearPeers Heroes

@Leila Riley

You are still in the early weeks!  Things get much much better.  Keep listening to music.  Any music.  Focus on what is accessible to you in the music at the moment.  For me it started with the beat.  Then high pitched instruments.  Then more and more percussion.  Then the other instruments joined in.  It is a journey.  Enjoy your ride and keep us posted!

I'm a year in with a CI and music is still very challenging for me. It's certainly a journey that is improving over time, but doesn't sound nearly like what it did with a hearing aid, yet. It's being persistent and having repetition of the songs playing that helped my brain decode the signals from the CI. I found it most useful to listen to simple songs (single vocal, simple instruments) that I knew before the CI. And listening to them over and over and over again. Eventually the beeps gave way to periodic words being understood, and then to vocals being more clear, to some instrumentals. My brain is still broadening my comprehension of music every day. It's a challenge, but it's one I take on every day with ambition.

In other words, hang in there, keep listening, keep trying. Don't give up. :)

Good point Watersail. I found it helpful to put together a playlist of songs I know really really well and listened to it over and over also.