Fire alrms

karenRS

Hope somebody can help with this. I've got one cochlear implant and one hearing aid. I'm actually going to get the second ear done too. However, I've just had a "duh" moment and realized that already I don't hear my fire alarm with my hearing aid out. What do other people do?

• HearPeers Heroes

@karenRS

wishing you the best on your second CI!  Which processor did you choose?

I have a smoke detector that sends the alert to a receiver next to my bed that is attached to a vibrating disc between the mattress and box spring.

https://www.silentcall.com

I just pre-ordered SeeSound which is designed to send those kind of audio alerts to phones which then send to FitBit bands or Apple Watch which we wear when sleeping.

https://www.see-sound.com

• HearPeers Heroes

Another option is a smoke/fire alarm that flashes a bright light rather than sound.  I have that in the room I was living in before my husband joined me at our new house.  There are often similar alarms in ADA hotel rooms, though the last time I had one they cleverly put it above the door, which was down a little hallway and not visible from the bed.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to get a Synchrony 2. The first one (Synchrony) has been amazing. I was a bit reluctant to get it done as it will probably mean losing all my natural hearing and then having to adapt my house. Then I realized I don't hear things anyway (apart from my dog barking ). Only realized today I won't be able to hear the fire alarm if it went off at night 

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you an easy recovery and great start on your bilateral journey @karenRS

I have a smart home set up and I have sensors beside the fire/co detectors (Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Firefighter) that turns on all the house lights and blasts music through my Sonos system. Although completely deaf in one ear, I have enough hearing in my other ear there is no way to sleep through that.

• Like 2