Wearing details

tmscarlett10

Hi all!

So, I have a few questions about the actual wearing of the processors. (I am going for the Sonnet2+Rondo2 kit, so would like feedback on both processors, please).

I have already seen the discussion about winter hats, so I am all good there! :)

I am curious if I could wear my chef hat to work with either processor. I wear a skull cap, which is skin tight; alternative to this is hair net. I wonder if the magnet is strong enough to put the coil or Rondo2/3 to go over the hat. Any cooks/bakers in here with this experience?

Also, I am curious about the waterwear. I just watched the videos for the waterwear for the Sonnet2 and Rondo2. I noticed that for the Rondo2, you could use an attachment clip or the sports headband to help keep it in place; where can I get these? For the Sonnet2, what is the fixation tab that the video refers to, and where can I get one? 

Also, where can I purchase more waterwear, after the three uses? And what is the cost?

That's all for now. Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Hearing in the water with my Rondos on waterwear covers is the best!

9 uses per waterwear kit (3 in a kit and each used 3 times......9 seals in a kit).

More waterwear covers can be purchased from Med-El US through their web shop.

284FEDD5-1C32-4C79-9484-73E7C0691DB3.jpeg

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

You might have to reconsider the skin tight skull cap thing depending on how the implants sit on your head (which is impossible to know ahead of time; it varies depending on the shape and thickness of your skull so can't really give you any advice there). I can tell you that my USN boonie hat is too tight to wear with the coil for my processor (it was always tight) whereas my Washington Nationals ballcap is fine. My implant sits a little low because the plates between my skull join right where my surgeon intended to put the implant and it was too hard for them to shave down.

Though, depending on how tight/form fitting your head gear is you could maybe get away with a stronger magnet and stick it on the outside of your skull cap or even your hat maybe? Not sure if that's a thing but maybe you could be a trendsetter.

• Like 2

Well, here is my suggestion that may work for you, for what it is worth because I have not tried it.  Try putting the skull cap or hair net on first, then get a sport headband for Rondo 2, to wear over the skull cap, ordered from the Med El web store . Then your Chef hat may fit over all that. I don’t know how much hair you have and that may effect how well this will work.  Now this is what I have tried, I have a Med El sport head band for The Rondo 2. I placed the Rondo 2 in the headband and then placed a sock cap over that. I can not tell any difference in the sound quality compared to wearing the processor directly on my head. Note that I don’t have much hair and keep what I do have cut very close. It may require changing to a stronger magnet when you do this. My audiologists wants me to use as weak a magnet as possible so she gave me a stronger magnet to change out when I go fishing and use the headband and sock cap.

Another possibility for the Sonnet 2 would be to cut a small slit in the hairnet for magnet and cable pass thru and attach to your head as normal and then wear the chef hat over that. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 4:21 PM, tmscarlett10 said:

For the Sonnet2, what is the fixation tab that the video refers to, and where can I get one? 

I tried clothes attachment clip the other day, with longer fishing line that can be tied to a little loop on the sonnet waterwear on one end and clip on the other end.  You can find on Etsy or others.   MedEl got something similar for kids see pic for general idea.

Screenshot_20201107-094916_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

This isn't specifically related to @tmscarlett10 's questions above but I did want to share a hat I found that I like and works well for me. I have worn a boonie hat for near 20 years now when working outside, exercising, etc. (the one outdoor activity where it doesn't work well is top down in the Miata; that's where my Nats cap comes in and it being slightly oversized it fits fine over my processors). My particular hat is a real Navy issue that I got at base shop stores for a test back in the 2003 timeframe, but unfortunately it doesn't fit with my processors now. I like the style though, I like it keeping the sun off my face and neck, so I searched and found an adjustable one on Amazon. It was cheap so I ordered it and liked it so I got a second one. I keep one at home and one in the car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRB2MNU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also keeps the rain off my head; while it has vent grommets it is fully water resistant (nothing is truly "-proof"); I tested the vents myself with some water and water doesn't get through. Have to love large polar molecules.

Oh and I picked the Multicam pattern because I live on the East Coast now and it's green here. My previous hat which I will keep for the memories is desert camo because our base was in the desert.