Hi!

Samantha

Hi all!

I'm new to HearPeers (mostly cause I'm terrible about procrastinating). 

I've been implanted with Med-el on my right ear since August of 2019 and scheduled for surgery on my left ear next month! 

I have sensorineural hereditary hearing loss. Started wearing hearing aids in 3rd grade. Finally decided last year at 31 years old that hearing aids were no longer benefiting me, and honestly hadn't been in a long time. I hadn't talked on the phone in years, I was starting to seclude myself from social situations, and getting frustrated in my career.

Thank GOODNESS I decided when I did to get implanted, because if I was still relying on hearing aids when Covid hit, I have no idea how I would be functioning. I am able to talk on the phone using Audiolink and understand people wearing masks (for the most part). We had a zoom work meeting recently and I was able to understand everything said utilizing the Audiolink.

I'm nervous, but excited about getting my left side done next month. I feel "lop-sided" as all the sound is coming in through my right ear. I'm looking forward to hearing and understanding better and gaining directionality. :)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to the group @Samantha!! The thought of a second CI makes me nervous too but I’m definitely considering it 😁 Where are you getting your second CI done? Best wishes and keep us posted!!

Through Ear nose and throat associates with Dr. Green. He did my first one and he's amazing. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Samantha is that in NYC? I would definitely keep the surgeon who did my first one too 👍 He was great

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Samantha!  You'll love being bilateral.  My residual natural hearing was much like yours:  practically useless.  I'm so much better off now, it's amazing.

Good luck!