Tongue numbness/taste change

lilygirl630

Does anyone who had this sensation after surgery remember how long it took for normalization? I had my surgery 6 days ago and was just wondering. I know there is a possibility that it may not go back to the way it was before surgery, but I'm really hoping it does!

Hi I have still got a slight metallic taste after 4 weeks but it is fading I an now

Taste some foods mints etc were the only thing to take the taste away and marmite as well

Which I was eating a lot of I still can't taste cheese etc very well but I am told this will return in time

Good luck with your recovery take it easy and relax

Fun times ahead

Thanks! It's nice to have an idea of a time frame for what other people have experienced! I hope mine follows the same path! I've definitely ha a bit of change since the surgery, but it seems to have slowed down a bit now. But, remembering how things healed up from my knee surgery, that seems standard to have a slowing down period, where the changes aren't so noticeable.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand, anything up to 12 months so don't panic, you won't lose your taste and everybody time frame is difference. I have very slight metallic taste but not always noticeable, the strange thing is that you get used to it although it's only temporary.

When I was in Egypt their white wine tasted like bleach and was disgusting but after a few days you get used to it! When I went home and have my own white wine I couldn't stand the taste of it until I got used to it again!  It's to do the ways our brain works the same as mickey mouse sounds from the CI which is only temporary

Yes, my taste is mostly back now. There is still a slightly bad taste, but it's very slight and totally manageable. I also have a slightly odd sensation on the right side of my tongue, but that, too, is fading. Before it felt like I had either burned my tongue or had a numbing shot in my mouth that was wearing off. I do have hope that this will fade, too, but even if it doesn't I could totally live with it.

Have you had the surgery or are you thinking about it?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had my CI surgery on 17th June 2014 and my tounge is still numb and the taste is all messed up.  It has been two and a half months now. There has been no improvement at all.  Can anyone comment about the time frame?

• 4 years later...

Did anyone have an almost total taste loss? Did taste return? Time frame for return?

• 3 years later...

I know there haven't been postings in a while here, but I'll add my experience. I had my CI surgery over 8 MONTHS ago and still the numb tongue prevails as does the loss of a sense of taste. HOPING it returns soon!

• 4 weeks later...