Day after turn on questions...

melody

I had my processor turned on yesterday.  I was given a list of supports and APPS and told that I needed to do a lot of rehab on my own.  I can't quite understand what and how to do that.  Can someone give me an overview of what is expected of me?

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations @melody!

Which processor did you choose?

How are things sounding for you at the moment?  It gets much better.

My CI center is NYEE in NYC.  Which center do you go to?

Basically our job is to connect what we hear with the actual sounds/words.  So every single time you hear something and can connect it to its source, you are training your brain.

I will tag you in my favorite rehab activities.  They helped me a lot!

I started off with static and beeps!  Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @melody. Congrats on your activation. Most of the rehab I did on my own. Just reading aloud to yourself is training to hear with the CI. I found ABCLIX most helpful. Just keep immersing yourself in sound. At first things may sound like gibberish but it certainly gets better! 

• Like 2

Thanks Jewel, I was hoping I would be able to do this alone what with the virus, social distancing and all of that! Tell me, does talking to yourself count?  I do a whole lot of that!:)

• HearPeers Heroes

@melody

Yes, as long as you're talking aloud that counts. You're training your brain to hear with the CI. 

Btw for the telephone I practised a bit with Cochlear's Telephone With Confidence. It was very helpful. 

Melody

Congratulations on your new CI.  Now that the doctor and audiologists have done their job, it’s your turn to get to work. I started using ABClix and after several weeks I was able to graduate to angelsounds. These are both apps that you can download. I found angelsounds best on my laptop because there is more variety. I know others have used audiobooks but I found myself cheating and reading ahead 🙂
I think everyone will tell you that dedicated rehab is very important to success with your CI. Good luck