Inquiring about cochlear implants - have not been implanted yet

Gloria B.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum because I just got info on cochlear implants.  I have had hearing loss as long as I can remember (I'm 64 now) and have been wearing hearing aids since I was in my late 20's.  My hearing has gotten progressively worse and I have been told by several audiologists within the last 10 years or so to check out cochlear implants.  I finally went to a surgeon to inquire about them and went for an MRI to see if there are any issues with my middle or inner ear, other than sensorineural hearing loss.  I'm scheduled for an appointment this Wednesday, December 2, to go over the results of the MRI with the surgeon.  I've gotten info from Advanced Bionics, Cochlear and Med-El on implants, and have been told any of them would be fine, I just need to decide which one to use. 

My issue isn't with any of the manufacturers at this time.  I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get an implant.  I worry about having a magnet in my head, (not for MRI purposes, since it seems that they've advanced enough that the magnet wouldn't have to be removed if I ever needed to have an MRI done on my head), but I just worry about having a magnet in my head fulltime.  Also, I'm not totally deaf at this point, and if I have the implant I would lose all hearing in that ear.  I know that my hearing would probably improve substantially (or so I've been told), but I think that's what scares me the most; losing my hearing completely.  I know I miss out on a lot, and I know people get frustrated having to repeat themselves, but I'm still worried about being totally deaf without the processor.

Is there anyone out there that has had those same fears, and it so, did you go through with the surgery, and are you happy now, or do you regret it?

I appreciate this forum and hopefully someone will respond to my anxiety.  🙂

Gloria B.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gloria B.

welcome to HearPeers!

Yes, I almost decided not to get a cochlear implant during my final appt with my surgeon before surgery.  I am so very glad I chose to get the CI!

This is the very best hearing I have had in decades!  I am so very thankful for this technology every day.

Talk with your surgeon about which electrode arrays will have the best chance of preserving your residual hearing.

Life with a magnet under my skin is perfectly fine.  No issues at all.

Here is a link to my CI journey with captions if you are interested.

I go to NYEE in NYC.  Which CI center are you using?

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Gloria B.

welcome to HearPeers!

Yes, I almost decided not to get a cochlear implant during my final appt with my surgeon before surgery.  I am so very glad I chose to get the CI!

This is the very best hearing I have had in decades!  I am so very thankful for this technology every day.

Talk with your surgeon about which electrode arrays will have the best chance of preserving your residual hearing.

Life with a magnet under my skin is perfectly fine.  No issues at all.

Here is a link to my CI journey with captions if you are interested.

I go to NYEE in NYC.  Which CI center are you using?

Hello Mary Beth,

Thanks so much for replying so quickly.  If there's a way to preserve what residual hearing I do have, I think I'll do the CI.  The surgeon though made it sound like my hearing would be gone after the surgery.  He said one guy was able to keep his hearing, but the surgeon was skeptical, until they did a hearing test and, sure enough, the guy did have some hearing in that ear.  I guess I'll just have to ask the surgeon about your suggestion regarding the different electrode arrays.  Or, should I get a second opinion?  I was referred to this particular surgeon from my audiologist, and I her trust her opinion.  Her sister used this surgeon and she said the surgery was life changing for her.

Thanks again for your response.  I enjoyed your video; it helped me a lot.

Have a great day!

Gloria

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gloria B.

Some surgeons have lots of experience with preserving residual hearing.  Everyone’s situation is different.  Wishing you the best.

Thanks for sending this, Mary Beth.  The doctor in the video did say that every effort is made to preserve existing residual hearing.  Will definitely mention this to the doctor on Wednesday.

@Gloria B.

i had the same fears. I had very low word recognition and steep slope hearing loss.  My surgeon said that the chances of retaining any residual bearing in males over 65 (me) were low. But he also said that the MedEl electrode array gave us the best chance. So here is how I looked at it. My hearing wasn’t going to get any better and eventually I’d be deaf in my right ear anyway so what did I really have to lose. So I went ahead and while I have some residual hearing it is borderline for EAS help. However, with the processor on I can hear and understand so much more than I could before the surgery. For me, it was worth it. 

• Like 2

@Gloria B.

I am bilateral I had my first implant in2016 and second in 2018 I have no residual hearing after getting the cochlear implants .However this was the best decision I’ve ever made and my hearing is awesome.

The Cochlear Implant are awesome please take advantage of it

Happy Hearing 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 12/1/2020 at 3:27 PM, JohnL said:

@Gloria B.

i had the same fears. I had very low word recognition and steep slope hearing loss.  My surgeon said that the chances of retaining any residual bearing in males over 65 (me) were low. But he also said that the MedEl electrode array gave us the best chance. So here is how I looked at it. My hearing wasn’t going to get any better and eventually I’d be deaf in my right ear anyway so what did I really have to lose. So I went ahead and while I have some residual hearing it is borderline for EAS help. However, with the processor on I can hear and understand so much more than I could before the surgery. For me, it was worth it. 

This.  I was angsting over my residual hearing.  Then I got one side implanted and within weeks the residual hearing on the other side seemed pathetic.  I got the second implant and am now completely deaf without my processors, but an order of magnitude more functional with CIs than I could ever have hoped to be with hearing aids as my hearing was getting worse and worse.  I went from becoming increasingly isolated, hardly talking to people unless I had to, to calling *and fully participating in* MS Teams meeting (and Google Meet chats, hi Mary Beth!), and am, for the first time in 20 years, starting to lose my fear of using the telephone.  It was THAT frustrating before.  I went from 19% word recognition to 97% with both sides. 

So I completely understand the fear of losing your residual hearing, and I also agree with John and Mary Beth.  It's totally worth it.

But you have to find your comfort level yourself.  Good luck!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

It’s difficult to explain to people the degree to which these CIs change our lives.  Incredible tech!

And I am always happy to see you on GoogleMeet.... especially when your audio works!  😊 

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

It’s difficult to explain to people the degree to which these CIs change our lives.  Incredible tech!

And I am always happy to see you on GoogleMeet.... especially when your audio works!  😊 

Now that I know I can count on the phone it will be good.  I still don't know why the laptop isn't working, but as long as the phone works I can completely fail to worry about it.  🙂