Newly activated CI for SSD Question

Jared Charney

On Friday I was activated at Mass Eye & Ear in Boston and so far I'm very encouraged especially when I isolate certain music to the CI: it's almost impossible to hear the vocals but I can hear drum and bass and I feel like it's a revelation to hear anything after losing all my hearing four years ago. I did notice starting yesterday that about every 30 seconds or so I get a weird bop-bop-bop-bop sound and it's driving me a bit batty. I will of course ask my audiologist on Monday but does anyone have a similar experience? It happened all day yesterday and I was hoping it would be gone this morning but not luck. On another positive note: as long as the processor is on I don't really notice my tinnitus which is fantastic. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I also love that my tinnitus disappears when I wear my processor!

I don't know about your boppy sound. But I do have a similar progression of music from percussive sounds to increasingly melodic.

• Like 2

Yes its really wonderful I actually figured out that it was the disposable batteries getting weak, the audiologist started me with those and I just swapped them out with my rechargeable battery and the sound is gone! Thx for your reply, 2days in and Im very optimistic overall 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

musoc was like a gift opened slowly.  Different layers of music revealed themselves as time went by.  It was fascinating to experience.  

It sounds like you are off to a terrific start!  Enjoy!

• Like 1

I agree, like I literally couldn't wait to put on my sound processor this morning was even more excited by this prospect than my morning coffee!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

EXACTLY!  I was always so excited to see what new sounds the day would bring!

Isn’t it refreshing to feel excited about your hearing

• Like 1

Yes! & for the first time since my viral infection destroyed my hearing and left me w/the 24/7 tinnitus I no longer feel like a "victim" of circumstance anymore which is something I never thought would change. 

I'm curious what people find the most helpful while isolating the ear -- the audiologist I saw after my first week check up said it doesn't really matter as long as you are doing one to two hours a day/etc. and I got a long list of suggestions from Med-El directly but I find the list a little confusing as where to start. For the most part I've been watching a variety of things on Youtube, listening to music, and watching documentaries. thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

Good question!  It doesn’t really matter at all what you listen to as long as you are connecting what you hear to what is said.  So for example, if you watch and listen to something on YouTube using the captions.  You can rewind sections, close your eyes and just listen.  Repeat as needed.  Make sense?  When you are understanding speech by listening only, just keep listening to things as the quality of the sounds will improve over time.

Then challenge yourself when you are ready by....

-music

-speech with accents (Ted Talks are a great source)

-speech in noise

-speech over distance

-speech of young children

etc.

• Like 1

This is great and makes sense with what I have been doing so far,  very helpful thanks Mary Beth!

• HearPeers Heroes

Early on I really liked TED talks, documentaries, YouTube - things I could turn captions on and watch while I listen.  Then graduate to closing my eyes and checking how much I could understand in small bursts. Moved later to podcasts and audiobooks without the visual cues.

Thanks Kylie how long did it take for voices to start to sound more normal ? 

• HearPeers Heroes
On 12/15/2020 at 9:16 AM, Jared Charney said:

Thanks Kylie how long did it take for voices to start to sound more normal ? 

Within 6 months I could close my eyes and not miss too much, if I concentrated very hard, though it sounded very tinny and electronic. Now at 18 months it sounds way better, more like voices than robots, but still definitely an electronic sound overall. Don't need captions now, can listen to any audiobook etc.

ok it's nice to know someone's time line and my contact at Medel def. said it's going to be a marathon and I guess she wasn't kidding! I find that if I can do my listening in the morning especially I have some luck understanding what someone is saying if they are looking at the camera and speaking somewhat slowly. If I try to do these exercises after a long day of work it's almost pointless without the captions. thanks!

• Like 2