Adapting to AudioLink

Linda

Had my implant July 2020. Had processor turned on in August. I have a Sonnet2 and Rondo 2. I recently received my AudioLink and I’m having a hard time with the voices while watching TV. The sound is somewhat robotic/scratchie/muffled. Not sure how to describe what I’m hearing. After having my Sonnet turned on I only heard robotic for a few days. I guess I thought connecting to AudioLink I would hear at least at the same level but was hoping to hear clearer. It seems either to be to quiet or to loud, can’t get a happy medium. Thanks for any advice.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Linda

Congratulations on your CI!

Are you connecting the AudioLink through to dock to your TV?  If yes, are you using the optical connection or a different connection?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Linda

Have you tried setting the mix on the AudioLink to steamed sound only?  That will let you hear just the TV sound through the AudioLink.  Then you can set it to a comfortable volume and experience what that sounds like. See if it sounds better.  Sometimes listening to streamed sound and the regular TV sound through the Sonnet mics at the same time is not the best sound quality.

How do I do that, not good with this stuff. I believe I’m only hearing sound thru the tv. 
ok, so I think I know what you mean. It does sound somewhat better, however, I have very little hearing left in my right ear therefore I won’t be able to hear anything or anybody else in the room. I do wear a HA but it helps very little. With the CI and the HA I do hear fairly well in this short period of time. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Linda

Setting the AudioLink in the dock and using its mix button so you only hear the streamed TV sound will let you know how the TV sounds that way.  And let you set its volume.

If the sound quality is better that way, you know the issue before is with hearing the TV two ways simultaneously..... streamed through the AudioLink as well as through the air into your Sonnet and HA mics.  If there is a noticeable lag time the sound quality will have an echo or be smeared a bit.

You are correct that you need to find a way to listen to the TV and also hear your family.  For me, that works best by just using my processor without the AudioLink.  I prefer the sound quality of our TV through its speakers better than through the AudioLink.  But tech preferences are very individual.  Experiment to find what works best for you.

Thank you for your input. I go in the spring to see about a CI in the right ear. I will then get 2 Rondo3, as my audiologist office is a 2 processor office. Might give up on the AudioLink for the tv and see how I do with the 2 Rondo’s. Thanks again.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:12 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Linda

Congratulations on your CI!

Are you connecting the AudioLink through to dock to your TV?  If yes, are you using the optical connection or a different connection?

Are there different docks available? I got my AudioLink in March 2020. But there is no optical input. I use an adapter that converts TOSlink to analog copper. Or did I miss anything?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

Sorry.  You are correct.  I was thinking of my Artone TVB that has an optical connector cable.  And the Roger Select that also has an optical connector cable.

C50F341C-3AA4-42DC-80DF-B9C6451DACBA.png