Speech to text recommendations?

HannahMcP

Hello!

I have right-sided deafness and am about to undergo another surgery which will result in deafness on both sides. I have a Med El auditory brainstem implant (ABI) on my right side but i am yet to hear anything with it.  I will be getting another ABI when they perform the surgery but again, the scope for hearing is incredibly limited as they sever the auditory nerve during surgery to reach the tumour.

Annnnnyway, i am wondering if any of you lovely people have recommendations for speech to text technology? I have my simple Google Transcribe/Siri but it's just not at the level which i will be requiring. I have been learning sign language for the past few years however i need more than that. 

I'd be happy to hear anyone's suggestions. 

Thanks,

Hannah

• HearPeers Heroes

@HannahMcP

Wishing you the best on your next ABI!  That is really a new field.

What type of device are you wanting to use speech to text?   I have several recommendations that are device specific.

Hi Mary Beth!

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to be purchasing a device soon but am unsure if Apple or Android/PC is the better option.

Which do you think would offer more?

Thanks,

Hannah

• HearPeers Heroes

@HannahMcP

Hi Hannah!

We are an Apple house BUT you would be much better off for free live captions/text with an android phone.

LiveTranscribe on android devices is the best speech to text app by far in my opinion.  Completely free.  No time limits.  (Do not be fooled by a completely different app on iPhones also called live transcribe.  It’s not good and it’s not free.)

Check out my review of it here:

http://www.handsonhearing.com/use-livetranscribe-app/

And also free on android devices is LiveCaption.  Info here:

https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/9350862?hl=en

• HearPeers Heroes

@HannahMcP

I just read your post on John’s topic.  You really have had quite a fast transition from typical acoustic hearing to soon to have bilateral ABI.  Have you been in touch with other ABI users?

I wonder if you go to the same center as @Kylie?

Hi Mary Beth,

Yes, it's been fast and very scary. I don't have a connection with the deaf or hard if hearing world here which makes it frightening. You all look so connected over in the US. Once Covid has gone, i would like to return to the States and visit a few of your centres - plus see more of your incredible country.

I think i saw an article about Kylie here and tried to connect through it but nothing came of it. Thank you so much for sending me her profile link - i'll be sure to touch base. 

I haven't met anyone with an ABI. I had to write to Med El when i joined HearPeers and ask them to add it as an implant option on the blog - which they did. So, I'm assuming there's not too many of us on here.

• HearPeers Heroes

@HannahMcP

A few years ago I asked Med-El to add a topic here of ABI.  They did.  There has not been much posted there yet.  We can all learn a lot about the ABI journey from you.  

• HearPeers Heroes