AudioLink Q & A

Mary Beth

What do people think of the AudioLink as a connectivity option for Med-el processors? (The Audiolink is the white remote-looking device). Specifically: 

1)  How much comes in through your processor mics vs through the audiolink, for: phone, tv, music, remote mic? 

2) Do you ever cable your audiolink to a phone, tv or computer or other? How and why?

3) How does the AudioKey 1 and/or 2 app work for you? What do you use it for?

4) When you use the AudioLink as a remote mic, how well does it clip on to a person's shirt? Rubbing on the mic from clothing? Wind?

5) When you have the AL set up as a conference table remote mic, how do you adjust volume if you're not right next to it?

@Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

MB: Overall the AudioLink is not a good match for me.  I experience sound quality issues and very short range.

1)  How much comes in through your processor mics vs through the audiolink, for: phone, tv, music, remote mic? 

MB:  AudioLink has a mixing button so we can alter the mix ratio as we please.  It offers 100/0 mix- streamed audio only as an option.

2) Do you ever cable your audiolink to a phone, tv or computer or other? How and why?

MB:  yes for me the AudioLink works best when it is directly connected to the sound source.  This is also the only way to get true separate left and right audio for instrumentals.

MB: I don’t use it. But I did test out the app Audio2Ear in order to stream audio that is not a phone call.  I do not care for the sound quality.

4) When you use the AudioLink as a remote mic, how well does it clip on to a person's shirt? Rubbing on the mic from clothing? Wind?

MB:  it clips on okay

5) When you have the AL set up as a conference table remote mic, how do you adjust volume if you're not right next to it?

MB:  it is inconvenient as a table mic because it functions best when in a vertical position but can not stay vertically unless in its dock or propped up.  And we need to touch it to change its volume.

Quick answers, or else I'll forget to get back to this:

It's nicely mixed by default with good volume of both mic and audio source, but you can press the "mix" button to isolate the streamed audio and cut off the mics.

I have it cabled to my computer via the docking station. It's convenient way to store/charge and it's faster to enable it vs. Bluetooth. I think it sounds better as well. I'm SSD, so I mix up my listening options a lot.

It works fine. Mostly I use it to change settings on my Sonnet 2. With my Sonnet 1, it works fin as long as the AudioLink is paired to Bluetooth. If Sonnet 1 was my primary device, I'd ditch my remote and carry AudioLink and use it to enable my phone as a remote to change settings.

I don't use it this way. Not a great benefit for SSD. I think the AudioLink mic is only OK, it's omni only, and AudioLink doesn't have enough range to place it very far from the processor. I have AudioStream (yay!) and Live Listen on iPhone is amazing and is what AudioLink remote mic can only dream to be.

5) When you have the AL set up as a conference table remote mic, how do you adjust volume if you're not right next to it?

No idea. I think you'd need to dive across the table to use it's buttons.  The AL volume buttons control the volume of the source (computer or mic input), but don't change the volume setting of the processor. So your remote might make a little difference, but isn't really the right solution for this.

Gotta run!