I need help to answer the phone

Kim

I have been  profoundly deaf for a long time and only able to text.

Now I have my implant  I can't  hear on the phone  without  my dai cable  to stream  directly to the implant.  This  means  by the time I am set up the call is missed so I  only do outgoing  calls.

Now I  need to take calls from elderly people. 

I have the sonnet 2, I  don't  carry a remote  control  I use the audiokey on my phone. 

I  have  an artone 3 max but only use it to listen to  music. Wouldn't I have to turn it on and turn the t coil on before using the phone?

Can anyone tell me how to answer the phone  without  scrambling  for things So that the caller has rung off?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kim

We have a few options.

The Artone can be powered up, connected and worn under your shirt. Your Sonnet 2 can stay in MT mode during the hours you expect calls if you don’t encounter electromagnetic interference (EMI).  Or it can stay in M mode and you can accept the call, say please hold a moment, use the app to switch to MT and then resume the call.

We can use AudioStream.  With AudioStream we hear the call but still speak into the phone so others hear us.

We can use AudioLink for calls as well but the AudioLink gives me too many problems so I do not choose it.

And we can practice listening to our phone by holding the phone up to the Sonnet 2 mics.  This takes practice.  So it may be best to try this with a friend.

Do you think any of these ideas will help you?

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kim

We have a few options.

The Artone can be powered up, connected and worn under your shirt. Your Sonnet 2 can stay in MT mode during the hours you expect calls if you don’t encounter electromagnetic interference (EMI).  Or it can stay in M mode and you can accept the call, say please hold a moment, use the app to switch to MT and then resume the call.

We can use AudioStream.  With AudioStream we hear the call but still speak into the phone so others hear us.

We can use AudioLink for calls as well but the AudioLink gives me too many problems so I do not choose it.

And we can practice listening to our phone by holding the phone up to the Sonnet 2 mics.  This takes practice.  So it may be best to try this with a friend.

Do you think any of these ideas will help you?

Thanks  the thing is no one  in  my family  calls me after nearly 30 years of not being able to use the phone  so it would  only be the odd  call  from veterans and referring  people, as I am volunteering to be a case manager  for a veterans charity. I  can't  know  when they would  call me. 

As a nurse  I  didn't  have an implant and used relay on my mobile  which  was  OK but slow. 

I  think I might  buy the  audiostream  but it is a lot of money  if it isn't  going to work. I wouldn't ask the charity to buy it as they need all the money they can get. 🤔

Thanks for your help xx

• HearPeers Heroes

Does the artone last longer when connected but not in active use, or the same? I get about 3 hours when listening to audiobooks so I have never tried leaving it connected for too long for other purposes.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

Yes my Artone lasts longer in standby mode than it does in constant streaming mode.  The most recent two Artone neckloops I purchased in October 2020 have battery lives of about 6 hours for constant streaming. I named this set with their purchase date so I can track how the battery life goes. In a standby mode after several hours of audiobook streaming, my neckloops are still active 24 hours later.  I have not tested to see how long that lasts.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kim

It is a lot of money.

In your case with possibly infrequent calls spaced out over time, maybe having them leave a message and you calling back later with your DAI set up is still best.  What do you think?

On 3/12/2021 at 3:56 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Kim

It is a lot of money.

In your case with possibly infrequent calls spaced out over time, maybe having them leave a message and you calling back later with your DAI set up is still best.  What do you think?

Thanks you are probably right