Telecoil (t-coil) buzz, hum, whine! Any tips?

Justin

Oh the buzz! I'm the one whining! Anyone have tips on reducing or eliminating the buzzing and humming? What are the typical culprits? I'd like to have this connectivity option when sitting at my desk working, but I didn't realize it'd be like this. Has anyone had to resort to rewiring fixtures on anything like that?!

I'm using an Artone 3 Max, with a Sonnet 2. I also picked up an Etymotic Bean Personal Sound Amplifier T-coil model for my good ear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254830444758 . Glad I found such a good deal on it, it is not worth the full retail price! It's nice though to have something wireless to quickly pop in/out of my good ear while primarily trying to use my CI for calls and streaming. Unfortunately, the humming is a real drag on this set up!

Thanks for any tips!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

Is the EMI (buzzing) happening when you just switch your Sonnet 2 into M or MT?  That’s where the EMI is happening.

Culprits...... microwave ovens while on, bad ballasts in fluorescent lights (even if acoustic ears can not detect it- ask me how I know), power lines, trains, planes and some automobiles, dryers.

The buzzing will be louder near the offending items.

Work around...... greatly decrease volume on processor and increase volume on device.

As a test, put your Sonnet 1 on MT or T and see if it happens.  If they are fine but your Sonnet 2 is not, it may be a defective telecoil in your Sonnet 2.

My house has no issues.  (It did when a ballast was bad in a basement fluorescent light though.). @Joan experiences a strange only sometimes issue in her home.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

LED and halogen light fixtures and other products with AC to DC hard-wired or inline transformers might be the culprit.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

We all know that horrible buzzing, humming noise all too well ☹️ My IPhone has it and I don’t use the telecoil option as a result when I talk on the phone. Sometimes it turns out to be WIFI which sucks. Have you turned off the WIFI (if you’re WFH) to check that? Hope you are able to figure out the source of the humming 🤞