Good Day!

I am wondering what other Bimodal folks do for streaming?  I’m trying to get a sense of what the setup looks like and info is a little lacking out there.  I know there’s the Artone 3 Max neck thingamabob that, I guess will connect both my Oticon HA in the left ear to the MedEl processor in the right ear at the same time via Telecoil mode.  But what about TV?  

Do y’all have something attached to the TV to stream?  Maybe I’ve been spoiled with the Oticon tv streamer.  Just trying to work it out in my head a picture of different Bimodal situations that Bilateral (two CIs) do not necessarily have to deal with, if that makes sense?  Also, which HA brand are folks wearing with their implant?

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

bimodal streaming works well as long as your hearing aid has an active telecoil.

Artone neckloop streams great from phones/tablets.

The optional Artone accessory called Artone TVB along with the neckloop streams great from TV.

http://www.handsonhearing.com/user-review-on-artone-3-max-bluetooth-neckloop/

• 1 month later...

I’m curious because a couple friends brought this up.  Has anybody with a newer Google Pixel or Android phone that supports ASHA streamed with both HA and CI together?  Supposedly they can and if so, how is it?

• HearPeers Heroes

I read about this on a different forum.  Depending on HA brand it varies.  Some people experienced a significant delay in the HA (several words behind).  Others had better experiences.

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

I read about this on a different forum.  Depending on HA brand it varies.  Some people experienced a significant delay in the HA (several words behind).  Others had better experiences.

Yeah.  I’m almost tempted to see if a friend has an Android/Pixel/Samsung phone to pair the Oticon and Sonnet 2 to see how it works exactly.  Doubt I’d go that route replacing my iPhone but who knows, maybe Apple will one day allow more than one hearing device to connect.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

Have you already had the timing of your CI set to match the timing delay of the hearing aid?  The new MAPping software for Med-El allows our audiologists to set that based on brand and model of hearing aid.

Im not sure if this will help streaming delays but it may have an impact.

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@John F

Have you already had the timing of your CI set to match the timing delay of the hearing aid?  The new MAPping software for Med-El allows our audiologists to set that based on brand and model of hearing aid.

Im not sure if this will help streaming delays but it may have an impact.

Not yet.  Currently only have one program but should (hopefully) get a full varying set at the end of the month so maybe the Audi will do so at that time. Unsure exactly her plans far as programs.  >.< 

• 2 weeks later...

Emailed with the Audiologist.  She did say she she entered the HA type so it should be matching but will check it out next week.

In other news:  I also had a few other questions, one about how almost everybody I’ve read on various forums and discord’s say they have had quite a few mapping sessions within the first month or two vs my one (as of this writing).  Said that was not the norm (re: weekly/biweekly sessions) and after this next week I won’t have another for three months then six months after.  I found that odd and a little uneasy at the same time.🤷🏼‍♂️

We’re also going to be creating a music program as well as try fixing the one program I have since I feel like speech itself is muted or not emphasized vs environmental noises.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

There is no standard protocol for activation and MAPping sessions.  Each CI center or CI audiologist follows their own protocol.

NYEE in 2015 when I was activated had this protocol:

-activation (leave with 4 progressive programs to get through in one week)

-1 week later (leave with 4 progressive programs, stay in each one for one week)

-1 month later

-1 month later

-1 month later

-3 months later

-6 months later

-then every 6 months

Additional appts can be added as needed.

Also some CI centers bundle activation and MAPping into the surgery price.  Others charge separately.

At NYEE in 2015, the activation and MAPping appts were all separate charges.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I am looking for bimodal setup in Med EL Site and the information was very vague. It said all the benefits of Bimodal and why to choose Med EL over other competitors such as Cochlear America and Avanced Bionic ... but it did not say what equipment or how to do it.

Does anyone know what exactly do I need to have for Bimodal setup?

So far this is what I understand for Med El bimodal from this forum:

1/ I need to have hearing aid with Telecoil

2/ I need to buy Telecoil neck loop such as Artone

3/ On my Rondo3, I need to hook it with telecoil adapter

4/ sync Rondo3 telecoil with Artone

5/ sync my hearing aid (Oticon More 1) with Artone. 

6/ If I need to have mic, I will have to buy another Artone TVB

So I have questions please:

1/ does audiolink device use for bimodal streaming or phone call?

2/ How do I bimodal using my Iphone 13?

Anyone please gives me the hint where to learn more about using bimodal ... I am pretty sure there are many people out there with MED EL CI one side and hearing aid in the other side.

Please advice

Thank you

Here is the site that MED EL advertised: 

Best Bimodal Hearing: MED-EL Cochlear Implants and Hearing Aids - MED-EL Professionals Blog (medel.pro)

I am quoting what MED EL said:

Bimodal Streaming

Connectivity can be an important consideration for many candidates. They want to be able to stream audio from their phones, tablets, televisions, and more. That’s why we have a full range of bimodal streaming options. Our bimodal connectivity options are easy-to-use, affordable, and widely compatible with hearing aids.

Bluetooth neckloops enable bimodal streaming to our audio processors and any telecoil-compatible hearing aid. These Bluetooth neckloops offer broad compatibility with mobile phones, so recipients aren’t limited to one specific brand of phone.

For bimodal wireless streaming from a remote microphone, MED-EL recipients can use a wide range of wireless receivers that are designed to work with hearing aids, such as Oticon™ and Phonak™ wireless systems.11,12 This includes seamless connectivity to Roger™ wireless microphones from Phonak.

• HearPeers Heroes

Bimodal streaming is a lot easier with Med-El’s Sonnet 2 using the AudioStream cover if you also have that processor.

If you only use Rondo 3, the AudioStream adapter has been released by Med-El but we are awaiting approval and availability in the US.

audiostream and using an android phone that offers dual audio works for bimodal users.

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream#compatibility

At the moment while the US is awaiting approval and availability of the AudioStream adapter for Rondo 3, Bimodal streaming is complicated.  I do not know of any Rondo 3 users who choose to use the telecoil adapter.

Flat stereo speaker headband systems are options.

1 hour ago, JohnNadashki said:

Hi all,

I am looking for bimodal setup in Med EL Site and the information was very vague. It said all the benefits of Bimodal and why to choose Med EL over other competitors such as Cochlear America and Avanced Bionic ... but it did not say what equipment or how to do it.

Does anyone know what exactly do I need to have for Bimodal setup?

So far this is what I understand for Med El bimodal from this forum:

1/ I need to have hearing aid with Telecoil

2/ I need to buy Telecoil neck loop such as Artone

3/ On my Rondo3, I need to hook it with telecoil adapter

4/ sync Rondo3 telecoil with Artone

5/ sync my hearing aid (Oticon More 1) with Artone. 

6/ If I need to have mic, I will have to buy another Artone TVB

So I have questions please:

1/ does audiolink device use for bimodal streaming or phone call?

2/ How do I bimodal using my Iphone 13?

Anyone please gives me the hint where to learn more about using bimodal ... I am pretty sure there are many people out there with MED EL CI one side and hearing aid in the other side.

Please advice

Thank you

Here is the site that MED EL advertised: 

Best Bimodal Hearing: MED-EL Cochlear Implants and Hearing Aids - MED-EL Professionals Blog (medel.pro)

I am quoting what MED EL said:

Bimodal Streaming

Connectivity can be an important consideration for many candidates. They want to be able to stream audio from their phones, tablets, televisions, and more. That’s why we have a full range of bimodal streaming options. Our bimodal connectivity options are easy-to-use, affordable, and widely compatible with hearing aids.

Bluetooth neckloops enable bimodal streaming to our audio processors and any telecoil-compatible hearing aid. These Bluetooth neckloops offer broad compatibility with mobile phones, so recipients aren’t limited to one specific brand of phone.

For bimodal wireless streaming from a remote microphone, MED-EL recipients can use a wide range of wireless receivers that are designed to work with hearing aids, such as Oticon™ and Phonak™ wireless systems.11,12 This includes seamless connectivity to Roger™ wireless microphones from Phonak.

1- No, AudioLink doesn’t support Bimodal setup.  Only connects to proprietary MedEl products.

2- Short answer, you cannot unless you want to go the Telecoil route which has its share of issues with the neckloop.  I think I mentioned it before in this thread or someplace, but you should find a cheapo Android phone with Dual BT and ASHA.  I got myself a Samsung 10e or some such I cannot recollect offhand.  I have it someplace.  It’s what I did while Bimodal since Apple has no plans to support Dual BT (we can’t even get macOS to support CIs).  My Samsung phone was used as simply a streaming device, nothing more.  For calls I’d use the HA side and stream to that on the iPhone.  

It’s the downside to MedEl saying their devices works with all HAs… just have to not use an Apple product.  🤷

Hi again,

Thank you, John and Mary, for you quick responses.

John,

So, what you are saying were:

Buy android phone that supports dual Bluetooth and ASHA. This android phone will only stream and if I need to make phone call, I will have to use different phone and use that phone on hearing aid side?

Question: why can't I use that android phone (for streaming) to make phone call? I though Android allows to stream to CI and Hearing aid at the same time then making phone call will be same. The worst case is that I can only hear either on CI side or HA side, right? how about I open the speaker, I should hear in CI and HA at the same time, right? I am sorry to ask these questions and I understood you just gave me your experience based on your testing but your context of testing environments are just not making any sense to me. 

And I also found this for IPhone: "Fortunately, modern iPhones let users connect to multiple Bluetooth speakers or headphones simultaneously via AirPlay. The feature, called 'Share Audio,' was rolled out in 2019 with iOS 13.1, allowing iPhone users to share one audio stream between two pairs of earbuds or headphones. Prior to the rollout of the new feature, iPhones supported only one Bluetooth audio device at a time, meaning users had to share a single pair of earphones or earbuds if they wanted to listen to a song or watch a video together on an iPhone." 

Will this feature help bimodal (CI and HA) users?

Mary,

I just had activation. I did ask Med EL Audi and was told audio stream is for Sonnet  (it is similar to the cap and attached to Sonnet device). Rondo 3 is using Audio Link. There is no audio stream for Rondo 3.  Or I may miss something here ...

Thank you both again.

Is there any Med EL representative in this forum whom can clarify the question below: 

1/ what is best and easy way to setup Bimodal (Cochlear Implant and Hearing Aid) for phone and for streaming for Rondo 3?

2/ If Bimodal users of Rondo 3 need to buy extra equipment, please indicate what they are?

I strongly believed MED EL advertised globally as the below, then they must have the solution 

Please advice

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnNadashki

Med-El global recently released a new streaming item for Rondo 3 called the AudioStream adapter.  It gives AudioStream abilities to the Rondo 3.  Search here on the forum and you will read a lot about it and see pictures of how it plugs into Rondo 3.  We have a member here who is using it.  Since this is an international forum, availability of new items varies by country.

In the US we are waiting for approval of the AudioStream adapter.  Until it is approved, Med-El US employees can not talk about it.

In the US, Med-El offers free one on one tech support via video chat with Med-El audiologists.  If you schedule an appointment, you can get help directly from Med-El US audiologists.

Follow this link and then scroll down to see the one on one appointment info

https://www.medel.com/en-us/about-medel/usa/us-events

8 hours ago, JohnNadashki said:

Hi again,

Thank you, John and Mary, for you quick responses.

John,

So, what you are saying were:

Buy android phone that supports dual Bluetooth and ASHA. This android phone will only stream and if I need to make phone call, I will have to use different phone and use that phone on hearing aid side?

Question: why can't I use that android phone (for streaming) to make phone call? I though Android allows to stream to CI and Hearing aid at the same time then making phone call will be same. The worst case is that I can only hear either on CI side or HA side, right? how about I open the speaker, I should hear in CI and HA at the same time, right? I am sorry to ask these questions and I understood you just gave me your experience based on your testing but your context of testing environments are just not making any sense to me. 

And I also found this for IPhone: "Fortunately, modern iPhones let users connect to multiple Bluetooth speakers or headphones simultaneously via AirPlay. The feature, called 'Share Audio,' was rolled out in 2019 with iOS 13.1, allowing iPhone users to share one audio stream between two pairs of earbuds or headphones. Prior to the rollout of the new feature, iPhones supported only one Bluetooth audio device at a time, meaning users had to share a single pair of earphones or earbuds if they wanted to listen to a song or watch a video together on an iPhone." 

Will this feature help bimodal (CI and HA) users?

Mary,

I just had activation. I did ask Med EL Audi and was told audio stream is for Sonnet  (it is similar to the cap and attached to Sonnet device). Rondo 3 is using Audio Link. There is no audio stream for Rondo 3.  Or I may miss something here ...

Thank you both again.

Is there any Med EL representative in this forum whom can clarify the question below: 

1/ what is best and easy way to setup Bimodal (Cochlear Implant and Hearing Aid) for phone and for streaming for Rondo 3?

2/ If Bimodal users of Rondo 3 need to buy extra equipment, please indicate what they are?

I strongly believed MED EL advertised globally as the below, then they must have the solution 

Please advice

Thank you

Never said you cannot use the Android to make calls… lol.  If you want to, go for it.  I did not fully adopt the Samsung phone since by the time I finally got the it (after a super frustrating couple years trying to find various ways to stream via iPhone), it would be temporary as I knew I’d probably be Bilateral sooner than later.

This is my write up about finally acquiring the Samsung phone.  I even had a Samsung tablet temporarily which also worked well but didnt keep that.

And no, the Apple share feature isn’t compatible with a Bimodal setup.

Also, as previously stated, to stream to both Rondo 3 and HA from a device, you’ll need an intermediary device like the Artone neckloop and HA with a Telecoil program.  AudioStream for Rondo will eventually be released in the US, negating the need for this since AudioStream can connect directly to the phone.

Hi again,

John,

I read your post. Med EL needs to hire you as "chief officer" in department of "Research and Development" for your thoroughly amazing contributions.

It is unbelievable that MED EL left bimodal users in the darkness of no connective/streaming instruction for so long. If I read your post earlier, I would not go with MED EL CI for sure!!! Med EL needs to provide bimodal stream solution as it advertised ...

Thank you again for your help

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnNadashki

I believe the new - just really starting to roll out now slowly- BT LE Audio & AuraCast will solve streaming issues for everyone- regardless of brand of CI or HA.

Search here for info on it.  I am so excited.

Hi again Mary,

Where do I search for BT LE Audio & AuraCast? Do you mean to search in this forum? I did and nothing comes up

Thank you

On 5/27/2024 at 8:58 AM, Mary Beth said:

@JohnNadashki

I believe the new - just really starting to roll out now slowly- BT LE Audio & AuraCast will solve streaming issues for everyone- regardless of brand of CI or HA.

Search here for info on it.  I am so excited.

Marybeth I have aura cast options somewhere on my android s23.  I saw it in settings I believe. I've not explored.