Research experiences

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

Will you tell us about your most recent research experiences?

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks. I've been thinking about this since you posted and I am not entirely sure what the last research I did was actually for!

They stuck electrodes all over my head, blocked my hearing ear and played a bunch of beeping and whooshy and warbly sounds (that we'd all be familiar with!) while they recorded what my brain was doing. Then for next bit they played a track of someone saying numbers at various volumes and pitches and asked me to press the button every time it was odd. Then another round for me pressing every time it was even. But the audi researcher said the task itself was just for task's sake so they could get me concentrating on something while they watched my brain work. I do not recall what they said they were looking at specifically and now I'm sorry I didn't ask again before I left.  I usually like to know but I think this time I was distracted!   

• HearPeers Heroes

Previous tests have also involved electrodes and have been measuring brain activity related to different auditory stimuli (not the numbers game).

Other research studies I have been in have measured location finding (i.e. where is this sound coming from), consonant recognition and comparing the 2 sides of hearing. They do lots of SSD research at my centre.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I LOVE how your clinical audiologist is involved so deeply in research!  That is terrific!

And it made me laugh that they had you do an odd/even number task just to keep you concentrating as they watched your brain activity!  So cool!